Daiwa Steez 21 74MH+ Topgun

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Beatles62
Angler
Angler
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:02 am
Location: Houston, Tx

Daiwa Steez 21 74MH+ Topgun

Post by Beatles62 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:49 am

Hey TT,

Looking to snag a new steez, and had my eye on this one. Looking for a jig rod mainly 1/2 oz but in a pinch will jump to 3/4oz.

I see this has a Mod-Fast taper but wanted to get some thoughts on if this rod could double up for a bottom contact jig rod.

Look forward to hearing the TT JDM wisdom on this one.

Thank You!
Sam

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 338
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:22 am

Re: Daiwa Steez 21 74MH+ Topgun

Post by Cranky » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:20 am

Top Gun is in the Versatile family and as the name implies more well rounded. Looks like it’s non-AGS guide if that matters to you as well. Definitely could handle Trig and Jig duty. I think most guys would lean toward the Harrier for 1/2-3/4 jig duty (same bloodline as the Racing Design Jigga Stick). I run a Jigga Stick and for 1/2oz plus it’s such an awesome rod. It’s very very stout though so keep in mind even 1oz+ it doesn’t feel under powered. 72H Strike Force is a step down in stoutness from the Harrier too and probably more jig-centric than the Top Gun if you’re looking for something over 7’.

You’ve probably seen these already but just for reference… JDM Steez families/applications and Top Gun bend profile. I do think the Strike Force and Top Gun are probably the most “similar” to the USDM Steez Bottom Contact in length/power that people really like but they’re still different rods by design.

Strike Force bend profile on the top. Top Gun bend profile on the bottom.
Attachments
562D6BA1-E215-4DF3-A76F-92CD46954958.jpeg
562D6BA1-E215-4DF3-A76F-92CD46954958.jpeg (17.38 KiB) Viewed 1867 times
22233BAD-50AA-4AC6-BD59-A84135BDEF8F.jpeg
22233BAD-50AA-4AC6-BD59-A84135BDEF8F.jpeg (81.96 KiB) Viewed 1874 times
383CCC25-926B-428F-9300-74FD0CBE231D.jpeg
383CCC25-926B-428F-9300-74FD0CBE231D.jpeg (56.7 KiB) Viewed 1874 times
7C3AF7FF-3148-493C-90D1-1B63CEFCA496.jpeg
7C3AF7FF-3148-493C-90D1-1B63CEFCA496.jpeg (18.91 KiB) Viewed 1874 times

Beatles62
Angler
Angler
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:02 am
Location: Houston, Tx

Re: Daiwa Steez 21 74MH+ Topgun

Post by Beatles62 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:35 pm

Cranky this is awesome thank you!

To be honest I’ve drifted away from AGS guides I love their capabilities but have been unlucky with more guides broken on my Steez AGS more so than others. I actually own the Racing Design Jigga stick but have kept it on the shelf with my prized reel.

This information is awesome I’m leaning towards picking this topgun up before they’re sold out like most of the JDM steez
Rods.

Thank You!
Sam

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 338
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:22 am

Re: Daiwa Steez 21 74MH+ Topgun

Post by Cranky » Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:49 pm

If you already have a Jigga Stick and want something non-AGS then I could totally see why the Top Gun is high on your list. Looks like a great fit for a nice range of applications. Definitely post a review when you get it!

4g63power
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 189
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:58 pm

Re: Daiwa Steez 21 74MH+ Topgun

Post by 4g63power » Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:23 pm

Steez Blenheim = racing design jigga stick

From what i have read the new Harrier 610 is more of XH, new machine gun cast type 3 is similar to the previous harrier.

Jbc88
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 131
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:18 pm

Re: Daiwa Steez 21 74MH+ Topgun

Post by Jbc88 » Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:56 pm

4g63power wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:23 pm
Steez Blenheim = racing design jigga stick

From what i have read the new Harrier 610 is more of XH, new machine gun cast type 3 is similar to the previous harrier.
I was debating between the harrier or machine gun type 3 to pair with the zillion tw hd. At the end I decided to go with the type 3 so we'll see how them two pair together. So far I have the hermit and machine gun type 1 and love them.. from action to sensitive they are amazing. If I have the funds, I would pick up another model lol

4g63power
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 189
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:58 pm

Re: Daiwa Steez 21 74MH+ Topgun

Post by 4g63power » Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:53 am

Jbc88 wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:56 pm
4g63power wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:23 pm
Steez Blenheim = racing design jigga stick

From what i have read the new Harrier 610 is more of XH, new machine gun cast type 3 is similar to the previous harrier.
I was debating between the harrier or machine gun type 3 to pair with the zillion tw hd. At the end I decided to go with the type 3 so we'll see how them two pair together. So far I have the hermit and machine gun type 1 and love them.. from action to sensitive they are amazing. If I have the funds, I would pick up another model lol
Sounds like a great pairing \:D/ please post pics when the rod arrives.

User avatar
TeamDaiwaRick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1523
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:04 pm

Re: Daiwa Steez 21 74MH+ Topgun

Post by TeamDaiwaRick » Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:24 am

Never used my Topgun for jigs, but it handles 1/4 & 5/16 oz T-Rig beautifully. Good sensitivity, it has a slower tip than most jig focus rods (as expected), but transitions to a strong backbone
and loads up nicely under pressure. I have had success throwing 1/4 oz flashy swimmer with a keitch swing impact fat, 1/2oz topwater walking style bait, and 1/4oz Tokyo rig with the Topgun too. It definitely lives up to its name!
Attachments
0101ABB0-5E04-4791-B247-8FD5A8C9F0B3.jpeg
0101ABB0-5E04-4791-B247-8FD5A8C9F0B3.jpeg (118.27 KiB) Viewed 1606 times

Jbc88
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 131
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:18 pm

Re: Daiwa Steez 21 74MH+ Topgun

Post by Jbc88 » Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:02 pm

Here is mine! Smaller than yours lol
And its the machine gun cast type 1
Attachments
20220119_140043_resize_34.jpg
20220119_140043_resize_34.jpg (40.3 KiB) Viewed 1556 times

User avatar
TeamDaiwaRick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1523
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:04 pm

Re: Daiwa Steez 21 74MH+ Topgun

Post by TeamDaiwaRick » Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:22 pm

Jbc88 wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:02 pm
Here is mine! Smaller than yours lol
And its the machine gun cast type 1
Nice combo! New Steez Limited looks good on the MGC.

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 338
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:22 am

Re: Daiwa Steez 21 74MH+ Topgun

Post by Cranky » Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:38 pm

Don’t sell yourself short. Everyone knows bass caught in the snow count double.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 5743
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:30 pm

Re: Daiwa Steez 21 74MH+ Topgun

Post by goldrod » Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:14 pm

I've been following this thread when I can.. Shimano JDM makes a similar spec'd rod.. I wonder how they differ ?
How far have you pushed the topgun?
THIS is the day that the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it.

Instagram is @1ncetime

DragonMaJig
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:28 pm

Re: Daiwa Steez 21 74MH+ Topgun

Post by DragonMaJig » Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:38 pm

Jig fishing and bottom contact, 21 Strike Force 100% over the new Top Gun.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 5743
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:30 pm

Re: Daiwa Steez 21 74MH+ Topgun

Post by goldrod » Sun May 22, 2022 5:16 pm

Cranky wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:20 am
Top Gun is in the Versatile family and as the name implies more well rounded. Looks like it’s non-AGS guide if that matters to you as well. Definitely could handle Trig and Jig duty. I think most guys would lean toward the Harrier for 1/2-3/4 jig duty (same bloodline as the Racing Design Jigga Stick). I run a Jigga Stick and for 1/2oz plus it’s such an awesome rod. It’s very very stout though so keep in mind even 1oz+ it doesn’t feel under powered. 72H Strike Force is a step down in stoutness from the Harrier too and probably more jig-centric than the Top Gun if you’re looking for something over 7’.

You’ve probably seen these already but just for reference… JDM Steez families/applications and Top Gun bend profile. I do think the Strike Force and Top Gun are probably the most “similar” to the USDM Steez Bottom Contact in length/power that people really like but they’re still different rods by design.

Strike Force bend profile on the top. Top Gun bend profile on the bottom.
Could you please tell me where you found this chart?
I am trying to verify two rods before purchasing Please. please
THIS is the day that the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it.

Instagram is @1ncetime

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 338
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:22 am

Re: Daiwa Steez 21 74MH+ Topgun

Post by Cranky » Mon May 23, 2022 4:37 am

https://www.daiwa.com/jp/fishing/item/s ... _rod_bait/

Scroll toward the bottom of the page to find the charts.

Bend profiles are on the individual rod pages if you click “Product Details” under the descriptions of each specific model.

Post Reply