New reel: Shimano Flame

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: New reel: Shimano Flame

Post by spookybaits » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:53 am

i like the handle but I'm with ya on the knobs, I'd swap em too.
I have some and don't like em. They'd probably be a good fit for saltwater fishing though.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:48 pm

Finally got to fish it for about 30 min today, I only threw a 3/8 Oz zman diesel chatterbait on some spare 8lb supernatural I had laying around. It only spooled up to about 3/4 full. Started put with 4 brakes on and 6 on the dial and distance was poor as to be expected. The turned the dial to 1 and slightly loosened the cc and did a lazy overhead cast and nearly spooled it lol. This thing is a great caster. No back lashes at all. Retrieve was smoother under the load of the lure than when you take it out of the box and crank it. With the big handle the retrieve was pretty effortless. No fish but I'm really happy with the reel. If you want the curado 70 form factor with a slower gear ratio then this is it.
Last edited by Bootytrain on Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:40 am

Will it skip DEEP under a dock thumb free? I moved the Alphas SV down to a Zodias 610ML and now need a reel for the Zodias 72M.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:49 am

LowRange wrote:Will it skip DEEP under a dock thumb free? I moved the Alphas SV down to a Zodias 610ML and now need a reel for the Zodias 72M.
I don't do a lot of skipping but with the range of braking this thing has I don't see anything it can't handle casting wise. It's a cool little reel that I doubt I'll see anyone fishing with lol.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:17 am

Just picked one of these up off ebay. They're going for scorpion 70 money making them hard to pass on. I'll be paring it to a 1st gen Diesel Glass CB rod to toss 3/16-3/8 cranks.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:36 am

LowRange wrote:Just picked one of these up off ebay. They're going for scorpion 70 money making them hard to pass on. I'll be paring it to a 1st gen Diesel Glass CB rod to toss 3/16-3/8 cranks.
They added a high gear ratio recently. It's a solid slick looking reel. I think they beefed up some internals for SW fishing, it feels different than shimano bass tackle.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:08 am

Bootytrain wrote:
LowRange wrote:Just picked one of these up off ebay. They're going for scorpion 70 money making them hard to pass on. I'll be paring it to a 1st gen Diesel Glass CB rod to toss 3/16-3/8 cranks.
They added a high gear ratio recently. It's a solid slick looking reel. I think they beefed up some internals for SW fishing, it feels different than shimano bass tackle.
how does it cast compared to scorpion 70? In what ways does it feel different than other shimanos?

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:29 am

LowRange wrote:
Bootytrain wrote:
how does it cast compared to scorpion 70? In what ways does it feel different than other shimanos?
Spool is a little heavier but it casts awesome. No difference noticed between it and the scorpion. I think they may have used thicker main shaft.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:46 pm

Bootytrain wrote:
LowRange wrote:
Bootytrain wrote:
Spool is a little heavier but it casts awesome. No difference noticed between it and the scorpion. I think they may have used thicker main shaft.
Where does it fit in with your shim fleet and what do you use it for?

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:06 am

I think we should unofficially refer to this reel as 'the snapper mule' from now on :lol:
Much cooler than 'the flame' 8-)

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:38 am

snapper mule of faint atari deep

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:26 am

LowRange wrote:
Bootytrain wrote:
LowRange wrote:
Bootytrain wrote:
Where does it fit in with your shim fleet and what do you use it for?
LOL I have ALOT of redundancy in my fleet of Shimanos. I have at least 5 reels that can do the same job as the Engetsu. So far Ive only used it a few times to throw chatterbaits, small flat sided cranks, and slow roll keitechs. It should excel at spinnerbaits because its got a lot of power especially with the stock handle. It should handle those weights pretty easy.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:30 am

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:39 am

On Diesel Glass CB MH

On Zodias ML

Reel arrived today. It's my 1st Shimano and immediately I'm impressed with the small profile and clutch engagement. This is a small and crisp platform. It's tiny like a Daiwa Alphas but more narrow and every bit an ergonomic as the Alphas. The handle spins very freely unlike my Daiwas but the reel is a little geary in that that it vibrates a little bit as the handle is turned which is unlike most of my Daiwas. It is very different from my Daiwas which is good in that I wanted something different. The spool is surprisingly heavy and surprisingly shallow. I'll have to limit the reel to small diameter lines to keep from spooling it when casting. I test casted it on some #12 junk mono throwing a 1/4 crank paired to the Diesel Glass and was nearly spooling it with one brake block on, medium spool tension and the dial set on 6. The large diameter mono occupies too much space for this shallow spool and can't get out of its own way at higher RPM. This spool definitely likes smaller diameter and softer lines.

It's more geary than I was expecting from a micro brass geared reel which is odd. It's not as smooth as most of my non-micro Daiwas but it's not bad. It's strongly reminiscent of my TD-Z R+ in that a fine vibration is felt through the reel when the handle is turned. You could spin that as a smooth, refined mechanical feel perhaps. It looks really sharp on the Zodias 1610ML and pairs well to it. It's probably going to stay on the ML Zodias for a while as a small crank/top water and jerkbait combo. May have to nab a Casitas MGL for the Diesel Glass.

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:07 pm

Low- Is that the Flame or Engetsu?