Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:26 am

adam lancia wrote:I think you mean the outer race Tim. The inner race, balls and cage all spin on cast and retrieve. Either way though, that's still a pretty light spool for $50 and not being made of magnesium and not having an aluminum spool shaft.
Yep, I must've just mis-typed. :oops: And yes, that's still plenty light. The Alphas remains my favorite platform, so I am very tempted to get one or 3 for myself.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:23 am

No worries, it could be worse though. At least you didn't misspeak about how to install a muffler bearing or flux capacitory :laugh1: :laugh1:

wandyhee
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wandyhee » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:13 pm

Okay, just received package contained RAY'S STUDIO spool for my T3 MX today, which also fit on few others DAIWA bc reels. since I also have Zillion SV TW in hand, might also compare it side by side on spool weight with SV spool. here's few picture taken just now

package

bubble wrap

spool case

spool plastic wrap (inside spool case)

might add some video soon

wandyhee
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wandyhee » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:59 pm

Here some video review of my second RAY'S STUDIO microcast spool which fit nicely on my T3 MX and ZILLION SV TW.

https://youtu.be/LTPgeXpsLtY

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:24 am

That taobao site has a kit that allows you to swap an SV inductor with a DIY one. This is something I have wanted to do to make the SV spools a litle faster and cast further. The DIY spool's inductors are much thinner than the SV inductors and don't brake as hard.

Josh-G
Angler
Angler

Post by Josh-G » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:52 pm

LowRange wrote:That taobao site has a kit that allows you to swap an SV inductor with a DIY one.

What´s taobao? :-k Never heard of that.

Loafer
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Loafer » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:30 am

Dalleinf wrote:If the spools are without SVS then they are of little interest to me. The newer gen SVS takes a little violence to remove and it has to be glued to a new spool. At least that was my experience with Met MGL and KTF spool.
And they released it: http://ali.pub/19zfot
I seem like we must replece brakes from original spool to DIY BFS :( .

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:40 am

Loafer - thank you for the link. Still, I am not an entirely happy camper. I would really really really appreciate if the made the full SVS system - especially if it could also be purchased separately:-)

Loafer
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Loafer » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:25 am

Dalleinf wrote:Loafer - thank you for the link. Still, I am not an entirely happy camper. I would really really really appreciate if the made the full SVS system - especially if it could also be purchased separately:-)
You use all 4 brakes on SVS? I dont think so. You can replace 2 pieces on BFS and 2 pieces remain on stock spool.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:41 am

Loafer wrote:
Dalleinf wrote:Loafer - thank you for the link. Still, I am not an entirely happy camper. I would really really really appreciate if the made the full SVS system - especially if it could also be purchased separately:-)
You use all 4 brakes on SVS? I dont think so. You can replace 2 pieces on BFS and 2 pieces remain on stock spool.
Good point. Thanks :-)

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:16 am

Loafer wrote:
Good find Loafer.. now to wait for the Scorpion/Curado 70 spool to come out.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:56 am

Got to play with the pre-CT Tatula DIY Long Cast Spool today. https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... 0.0.wNWmoi

It's basically an SV spool for the old tats. It has Air Brake like the SV spool and an inductor like what is found on the SV spools. I haven't gotten a chance to play around with the stock spool yet to see how it compares but the DIY long cast can cast a 3/8 oz Mini Mop jig on #10 Suffix Elite 120-140 feet pretty easily with some side to side play on the spool tension and between 6 and 4 on the brake dial. It's well controlled too and should skip really well at high mag.

Last edited by LowRange on Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:07 am

There's also a DIY Casitas and Caenan spool out from Studio of Momo. I've got their Black Max 3 spool and it's very nice. This spool appears to require the removal of the entire centrifugal brake assembly from the stock spool.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DIY-DAI ... aec2&tpp=1

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:17 am

70 spool
Casitas spool

Weihai fishing store:

70 spool https://www.aliexpress.com/item/accesso ... 0727ac347a

Casitas spool https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Spool-a ... 0727ac347a

Scorpion/Curado 70 spools are out. 10.3 grams, 50m of 8lb line and no brake shoes. Not sure how I feel about this. It's heavier and holds less line than an Alphas DIY. Looks like the Casitas spool holds 20 meters more of 1.5 PE/6lb mono over the 70 spool.

I'm looking for a reel and spool to pair to a Volkey 68L BFS to throw 1/8 jig heads and 3 inch plastics really far on #20 8 carrier. I'll toss a 4 inch swimming dinger on a 1/8 oz spider head over weed flats all season long but I kept spooling the DIY in the SS SV with that bait and line on long casts so I moved it down to a 65UL Volkey. I'm looking to throw 3/16 to 1/4 total weight max distance with enough control to handle some wind.

Budget BFS Casitas build (10g 1.5pe 80m SVS) or TDZ US Trail with TD Zillion DIY (10g 1.5pe 100m Air Brake thin inductor) or Tatula CT with Tat CT DIY (10.2g 80m Air Brake thin inductor + TWS) :-k
Last edited by LowRange on Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:24 am

STOP TAKING ALL OF MY MONEY CHINA

DIY thin and tapered inductor brake assembly. I personally think the SV spool inductors are too thick on a lot of the spools. The DIY spools are great casters and I think the thin tapered inductor is part of that equation. I would like to see how an SV spool with a swapped inductor performs.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... 0.0.LXOpzK