Which finesse spool to choose?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Which finesse spool to choose?

Post by hungry_cow » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:52 am

I am trying to decide which finesse baitcast spool to choose. I will probably be using Sufix 832 10 lb test braid. Here are ones I am thinking of.

A standard pixy spool in a PX Type R or PX 68

A Daiwa PX68 Finesse Special spool in a PX 68 or Type R

A Megabass Finesse Spool in a Steez or TDZ R+

A stock Daiwa PX68 SPR

Thanks for the input!

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Which finesse spool to choose?

Post by africanbass » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:55 am

Megabass Finesse :big grin:

mundo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mundo » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:00 am

africanbass wrote:Megabass Finesse :big grin:
Yup, this is an easy choice

nycgrip
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by nycgrip » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:33 am

considering how ported that spool is it safe with braid?

mundo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mundo » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:11 am

nycgrip wrote:considering how ported that spool is it safe with braid?
The finesse spool is not ported, I think 10# braid will not harm it. I use mine with 15# Samurai, which is about the same diameter.

The ported spool is the new composite, I am just waiting for somebody to share their experience with one to get it!

Mundo

DE_Bass_Enthusiast
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DE_Bass_Enthusiast » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:42 am

nycgrip wrote:considering how ported that spool is it safe with braid?
He is talking about the one that resembles the Zonda finesse spool, not the honey comb spool.

TeamDaiwaRick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by TeamDaiwaRick » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:20 pm

Megabass IS Finesse Spool gets my vote. That thing is a BEAST :evil: :lol:

xdss
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by xdss » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:56 am

Considering thetackletrap stays sold out on the honeycomb spool...and from 2 mouth (or email of two of the most prominent members) the mb honeycomb spool is the cats meow!!! I have a strange feeling these things are being kept under wraps!
Last edited by xdss on Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:59 am

xdss wrote:Considering thetackletrap stays sold out on the honeycomb spool...and from 2 mouth (or email of two of the most prominent members) the mob honeycomb spool is the cats meow!!! I have a strange feeling these things are being kept under wraps!
The honeycomb spool is a real gem. I have one in an IS71HL 25th Anniversary "Ito" and love it. We "just" sold out of them at The Tackle Trap but will order more soon, so no worries there. If you want one, let me know and I'll be sure to order another for you 8-)

xdss
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by xdss » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:15 am

bronzefly wrote:
xdss wrote:Considering thetackletrap stays sold out on the honeycomb spool...and from 2 mouth (or email of two of the most prominent members) the mob honeycomb spool is the cats meow!!! I have a strange feeling these things are being kept under wraps!
The honeycomb spool is a real gem. I have one in an IS71HL 25th Anniversary "Ito" and love it. We "just" sold out of them at The Tackle Trap but will order more soon, so no worries there. If you want one, let me know and I'll be sure to order another for you 8-)
......and Gary was one of those two members!

Dragboatdriver
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Dragboatdriver » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:32 am

I own both the Megabass IS Finesse Spool and the Honeycomb spool. I have had very limited time on the water with the Honeycomb spool, as today was the first opportunity I have had to fish it. I think the answer to your question really comes down to what weights you are looking to throw. I compared both spools in the same reel and rod combination as well as side by side with very similar rods. The Megabass IS finesse spool does seem to perform better with sub 1/8th oz baits, however in the 1/8th-3/16th range the honeycomb spool is phenomenal. I rarely ever use baits below 1/8th for bass fishing so a spools ability to cast below that is really not practical for me. As I mentioned, both spools are absolutely phenomenal finesse spools and you will not be disappointed. If asked which do I prefer better, the Honeycomb or the MB IS finesse spool? I would have to give a slight nod to the Honeycomb. It is every bit as capable at practical finesse applications for bass fishing as the MB IS finesse spool, but it is significantly more controllable. Particularly, if there is wind involved.

I hope this helps with your decision.

For what it's worth, either of the two aforementioned spools are far superior to the Pixy options you had listed, in my opinion. I can't speak for the PX SPR, as I have never fished one. However, I own several other pixy's. While they are great finesse reels, they are not quite on the same "playing field" as the finesse spool offerings from Megabass.

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:39 pm

I decided to go the Megabass rout and I just won a TD-ito 103 on Ebay from highspeed so I can put a megabass spool on that or my TD-Z R+ 103 I already have.

I guess now it is down to the finesse spool or the honeycomb one. I fish allot of jigs in the 3/16 ounce range and I would use if for 1/8 to 3/16 ounce shakey heads, light crankbaits, and Texas rigs with 1/16 ounce to 1/8 ounce weights. But I rarely go below 1/8 ounce so maybe the honeycomb spool would be better. Is one or the other better for pitching ligher baits?

I have the ZPI RC-002 spool in my TD-Z R+ now and just love how I can aggressively cast baits and not have to worry about being too careful not to backlash so if the honeycomb spool would be better for that maybe that's the way to go.