Need suggestions for spinning reel

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
ian.jason
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Need suggestions for spinning reel

Post by ian.jason » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:57 am

Well ,..you must understand that ,..it's a tuff decision! :D

ian.jason
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ian.jason » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:00 am

As y'all can see , i screwed up .

made a mistake , by posting a new topic while i was answering one ! :oops:

ian .jason

skinhead
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by skinhead » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:20 am

I've just invested in a Daiwa TD-R 2508. Not the cheapest at £175 G.B.P, but the best that I've used. Not sure what the equivalent model would be on your side of the pond.

It absolutely slaughters my Stradics, Tica T Type and Daiwa 2500i.a.

Simon

Snidley
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Snidley » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:02 pm

Just goes to show what a great site this is. We are prepared to help a guy who could have died of old age by now lol. Wonder what he bought? snidley

venomous grin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by venomous grin » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:22 am

i use the same rod to fish for salmon in New York, ,i paired mine up with a shimano stratic 4000...its one of my favorite combos...lmao 3 years ago....oh well, might be helpful to someone

Night Owl
Angler
Angler

Post by Night Owl » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:21 pm

If you're looking to save some money, the shimano sahara is a tough reel to beat. The 2500 size is a good all around bass reel.

Susitnasalmonguide
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Susitnasalmonguide » Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:59 pm

Seeing that this was originally an older thread, I held of getting involved in the subject, but since perhaps people are interested I'd like to pass on a few thoughts. As was mentioned earlier, the Capricorn 4000 (and the 3500 as well) is a heavier reel which might be good if a person was fishing for king salmon with mononfilament line over 15 pound test or if a person was fishing in a situation where extra long casts were of primary importance.

If considering Daiwa spinning reels with lighter line or super braid line, I would suggest considering the 3000 size reels -- the spool holds plenty of line and the reel is considerably lighter in weight than 3500 or 4000 models. My guests and I have enjoyed fishing 3000 size Daiwa spinning reels spooled with 30 lb. powerpro for salmon up to about 20 pounds, and have yet to be spooled by a runaway salmon. I usually set the drag as if I was fishing about 17 lb. monofilament and then have plenty of back up strength in the line. If I set the drag any tighter, I'd risk overloading the lighter spinning rods we are usually fishing with.

With Shimano spinning reels I've fished 2500, 3000, and 4000 reels. Once again my choice is the lighter weight and good line capacity provided by the 3000 sized spool. It is easier to find mid ranged priced Japan market Shimanos in the 3000 size than USA market reels. The Ultegra and Biomaster are two such reels I would suggest.

4000 Shimanos, are lighter than most comparable 3500 or 4000 Daiwas and are also a good choice for medium-sized or larger salmon. Hope this helps.

Susitnasalmonguide

Klinger N OK
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Klinger N OK » Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:22 pm

Check out the new Daiwa Tierra. I just got a 2500 series a week ago and have fished with it 4-5 times already- and it is an awesome reel. Smooth retrieve, very smooth drag. Looks to be a great reel for the money-$101.65 + $6.50 S&H on Ebay.