The Abu-Garcia Record? I need a bit of help

Discussions focused on the pursuit of saltwater species
Ngoles
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

The Abu-Garcia Record? I need a bit of help

Post by Ngoles » Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:21 pm

Hi guys , I previously made a post to buy a casting reel, not very expensive, after reading a lot , I found out that an Abu-Garcia Record may be my thing...

I got a couple of issues

1) The reel may be kinda heavy, I usually fish with 18 pounds line that's like a .30 mm mono... and the RCN60 has 145 yds of 14 pounds line capacity..

I have 3 options here,

option 1) go with the RCN61 and switch to braided line ( wich I don't like for surf casting, because it looses visibility with time, and Hi-vis line is of great help for me ).

option 2) go with the RCN61 high capacity that has 245 yds of 14 pound , and fill it with the 18 pounds... to get like 200 meters of line, or something like that... ( but the reel is heavier )

option 3) , Go with another reel ( I need left handeds only :( )

Well thanks guys , I hope you can help me
Last edited by Ngoles on Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

da house of hardy #1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: The Abu-Garcia Record? I need a bit of help

Post by da house of hardy #1 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:59 am

so you did like my idea of record...arent there any left handed models? thats not good...i also prefer to left handed reels

Ngoles
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Ngoles » Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:05 am

No, there are left handed models of the record... what I mean is that if someone recomends another reel, a left handed version should exist :)

After reading a bit, a more expensive reel that could work could be the Daiwa Luna 253L or the 300L ( is that one too big?? ) , what do you think about that?

PS: I am still looking for opinnion about the HCN61

Jinz000
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jinz000 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:29 am

I would fill it with a 14# quality line you get better distance and more line to tug in the fish. Think about it, a typtical cast you make of 150 yards, that will only leave you with 50 yards left to fight and that might not be enough. Trust me 14# is more than enough to catch most fishes in the sea.

Ngoles
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Ngoles » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:40 am

Jinz000 wrote:I would fill it with a 14# quality line you get better distance and more line to tug in the fish. Think about it, a typtical cast you make of 150 yards, that will only leave you with 50 yards left to fight and that might not be enough. Trust me 14# is more than enough to catch most fishes in the sea.

But what reel are you taking ? The High Capacity Record ???

I was making some "Reel Research" and the Luna 253L looks pretty promising, this are the specs:

Action:Heavy/Medium Heavy
Bearings: 5 Super Corrosion Resistant Ball Bearings + 1 RB
Gear Ratio: 5.1:1
Line Per Handle Turn:23.6"
Weight(oz): 11.1
Line Capacity(Lb. Test/Yards): 12/235, 14/195, 17/150

I think this one is more expensive, but it could be a GREAT option for me, its lighter, can carry more line without having to go for the Luna 300L ( wich is actually a lot heavier ). I throw like 2.8 oz

What do you think ??

PS: What quality mono lines do you actually recommend me ? ( not braided please! :P )

Jinz000
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jinz000 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:38 am

Yes I was referring to the RCN61. I like using sufix tri plus. Try the chartreuse it's a great high vis line for night fishing.

spinningreel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by spinningreel » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:11 am

Are you throwing lures or casting baits and sit?

If you do the second, why would you mind the weight of the reel? Go with the Record HC.. ;)

Ngoles
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Ngoles » Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:13 am

I do flounder fishing here in South America and here we use a technique where you throw baits and you have to keep a constat retrieve all the time, a lot of play is involved... so you get very tired in one fishing day . I finally decided to go for a Daiwa Millionaire SW 203 and put in 200 meters of Sufix Performance Braid in Hi Vis Yellow :)

It will arrive in a couple of days

bassbandit
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassbandit » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:58 am

Don't rule out the Calcutta. I think tacklewarehouse.com has Lunas cheap right now. They don't even have the price listed. You have to call. If a Luna is what you are interested in, I'd check it out.