Which types of hooks do you prefer J, circle, offset, kahle?

Discussions focused on the pursuit of saltwater species
Jinz000
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Which types of hooks do you prefer J, circle, offset, ka

Post by Jinz000 » Fri Apr 09, 2004 8:51 pm

Ron, thats impressive 200 Tuna's. The problem I have is just trying to resist not to hook it. I find it very difficult just to stand around when I know theres a bite.

THEGAME
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by THEGAME » Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:33 am

I use both circle and j type hooks. Mostly circle when fishing the surf. I use the j style hooks when fishing for those picky fish that are likely to spit the bait . That way I can set the hook before they get a chance. i often set the hook on circle hooks. Afler the fish has the bait and is running under some tention I set the hook alittle. I just like setting the hook. If it feels good..... well you know.
Hey Jinz, How are those motzuo hooks working?

Jinz000
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jinz000 » Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:14 pm

TheGame, they work excellent. There sharp as Daiichi's. We just got a shipment of the Mutzuo Octopus sickle (J) can't wait to try those. I don't think I'll be using the circles much now, bad experience especially when species I'm after doesn't gobble up the bait and run with it. Though thats my fault for listening to the sail fishermans.

I heard that if you snell the hooks it works more naturally, True?

LongCast
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by LongCast » Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:43 am

I use Kahle hooks. I find them to be far superior to J hooks. I do not have much experience with circle hooks yet, but I read an interesting article about catch and release survival rates using circle hooks.

I'll see if I can dig up the article, but the gist of it was that circle hooks vitually eliminate gut hooking or other deep hookups that kill the fish.

LongCast