22 Zillion TW HD

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
AMMOGUY
Angler
Angler

Re: 22 Zillion TW HD

Post by AMMOGUY » Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:29 pm

LowRange wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:57 am
Get the slinky off it. Try braid to see how it behaves. Maybe 20# Big Game if you really want a big clear plastic line. Maybe the braking profile doesn't like big plastic line? I never go above 16# sniper because the management is so bad on most my reels paired to H rods. Only my mag H and XXH get 20 BG and they all have slow fixed inductor big bait spools. Only my Z200 and Tatula 150 HD Custom with 153 spool get 65# for heavier baits because they are so fast. Fast spools and heavy flouro don't get along. Does the HD feel both too fast mid cast and too choked off at the end?
Yea, I've been fishing 20lb Sniper on my heavy cover jig rigs for quite a while. It's a fantastic line for that... but that's why I noted that I was using it, because it's one of the worst scenarios as far as casting. I've run it on a Coastal SV with an R+ rotor spring for the past 1.5 years and it handles it well.

I'll probably spool the 2nd HD up with 50lb 832 tonight and toss some frogs with it sometime this week. Obviously, It should act better.

The buzzy vibration/noise during casting isn't cool though. Really hoping some oil helps that.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:49 pm

AMMOGUY wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:43 am
Fished the first HD and the G for a while yesterday afternoon. Haven't really played with the 2nd HD yet.

I had two Tat 100s rigged up, and the G and the HD. On similar rods with similar lures, neither cast as far, as easily as a plain old Tatula 100. Your guess is as good as mine as to why? The braking profile just seems more "choked", particularly on the HD. I really don't understand it, because I thought he "boost" spools were supposed to be the opposite. I do have to run the brake setting on the HD a good bit higher than normal to keep it under control.

The spool bearings in the HD are not smooth at all. Good bit of noise and vibration during the cast. The G is a little better, but still not what I would call "smooth" casting. Video of the HD and a regular Tat cast below. The HD is noticeably louder than the Tat in person. I guess I'll pull the bearings and clean/lube them and see if that helps, but for a reel of this price, I really want a quieter cast.
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/eVuHvCubfT4
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/WdejViLG1hg
Is that a normal cast or is that cast the result of holding a camera (phone) with the other hand? If that's how you intend to cast then the boost spools may not be for you. The whole point of them is that you can power cast and then will brake enough to handle the spool speed then back off to weaker profile to be more free at the end of the cast. If you just want to flick of the wrist casting ease then a fixed inductor spool swap would be ideal. A ZPI PG or one of the cheap Ray's 34mm Long Cast spools. I'm a big power casting guy and prefer non linear braking spools but for tossing baits to targets along the bank there is no beating a light weight fixed inductor. They are effortless and consistent making for surprisingly long low effort consistent flight of baits to targets.

Maybe drop $60 for a Ray's Long Cast with the adjustable inductor at max extension to start with using 20# clear slinky and save the stock spool for 50-65# braid power casting frogs and whatnot.
viewtopic.php?f=65&t=80168

AMMOGUY
Angler
Angler

Post by AMMOGUY » Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:10 pm

LowRange wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:49 pm
AMMOGUY wrote:
Fished the first HD and the G for a while yesterday afternoon. Haven't really played with the 2nd HD yet.

I had two Tat 100s rigged up, and the G and the HD. On similar rods with similar lures, neither cast as far, as easily as a plain old Tatula 100. Your guess is as good as mine as to why? The braking profile just seems more "choked", particularly on the HD. I really don't understand it, because I thought he "boost" spools were supposed to be the opposite. I do have to run the brake setting on the HD a good bit higher than normal to keep it under control.

The spool bearings in the HD are not smooth at all. Good bit of noise and vibration during the cast. The G is a little better, but still not what I would call "smooth" casting. Video of the HD and a regular Tat cast below. The HD is noticeably louder than the Tat in person. I guess I'll pull the bearings and clean/lube them and see if that helps, but for a reel of this price, I really want a quieter cast.
Is that a normal cast or is that cast the result of holding a camera (phone) with the other hand? If that's how you intend to cast then the boost spools may not be for you. The whole point of them is that you can power cast and then will brake enough to handle the spool speed then back off to weaker profile to be more free at the end of the cast. If you just want to flick of the wrist casting ease then a fixed inductor spool swap would be ideal. A ZPI PG or one of the cheap Ray's 34mm Long Cast spools. I'm a big power casting guy and prefer non linear braking spools but for tossing baits to targets along the bank there is no beating a light weight fixed inductor. They are effortless and consistent making for surprisingly long low effort consistent flight of baits to targets.

Maybe drop $60 for a Ray's Long Cast with the adjustable inductor at max extension to start with using 20# clear slinky and save the stock spool for 50-65# braid power casting frogs and whatnot.
I was just tossing it with phone in the other hand to record the noise. Most casts on the rig yesterday were two handed, full force casts with a 1/2oz jig.

I’ll also pitch with this rig. But I basically turn the brakes off when I do.

I’m not overly concerned with how it brakes or distance.
It just doesn’t sound good.

Dink Whisperer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dink Whisperer » Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:12 pm

I had the opposite experience as the other user above. My HD was matching my Metanium casting distance closely. I checked the spool bearing and it has no excess grease as mentioned before. I've decided to sale the G and keep the HD models instead. For whatever reason I can't post in the classifieds here though. ](*,)

rto
Angler
Angler

Post by rto » Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:02 pm

AMMOGUY wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:10 pm
LowRange wrote:
AMMOGUY wrote:

I was just tossing it with phone in the other hand to record the noise. Most casts on the rig yesterday were two handed, full force casts with a 1/2oz jig.

It's a free floating spool. Depress the thumbar and the reel proper is out of the equation mechanically. The only sound you're hearing is the bearings themselves and how their sound is amplified by the metal frame, side plate, and set plate. In itself, the "reel" isn't noisy because of an inherit problem or defect unless the spool is out of round and rubbing the frame. There isn't anything else in play. I don't hear that in your clip. The bearings aren't necessarily bad or especially noisy either. A swap from one of your other reels is easy and it isn't a bad idea if it puts your mind at ease. Ever hear the clip of that guy bomb casting the Z2020 a mile? You can hear the bearings zipping clearly, but there's nothing wrong with the reel.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:15 pm

rto wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:02 pm
AMMOGUY wrote:
LowRange wrote:
AMMOGUY wrote:

It's a free floating spool. Depress the thumbar and the reel proper is out of the equation mechanically. The only sound you're hearing is the bearings themselves and how their sound is amplified by the metal frame, side plate, and set plate. In itself, the "reel" isn't noisy because of an inherit problem or defect unless the spool is out of round and rubbing the frame. There isn't anything else in play. I don't hear that in your clip. The bearings aren't necessarily bad or especially noisy either. A swap from one of your other reels is easy and it isn't a bad idea if it puts your mind at ease. Ever hear the clip of that guy bomb casting the Z2020 a mile? You can hear the bearings zipping clearly, but there's nothing wrong with the reel.
Where is this clip of a z2020 casting a mile? I want to watch.

AMMOGUY
Angler
Angler

Post by AMMOGUY » Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:49 pm

rto wrote:
AMMOGUY wrote:
LowRange wrote:
AMMOGUY wrote:

I understand the mechanical workings of the reel very well. Scroll back a ways and you’ll see that I reference the spool bearings specifically.

They are simply louder/buzzier than I’d expect them to be. Noticeably louder than my USDM G, and some other various reels in the boat. It affects the “refined” feeling of the reel while casting IMO. Should a new Zillion have as much or more bearing buzz than a 2 year old Tatula? Preferably, no.

Like Ive said, I’m intentionally being picky. What are threads like this for, if not for overly picky assessments of the reel.

Kimbro1014
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Kimbro1014 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:40 pm

AMMOGUY wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:49 pm
rto wrote:
AMMOGUY wrote:
LowRange wrote:
AMMOGUY wrote:

I understand the mechanical workings of the reel very well. Scroll back a ways and you’ll see that I reference the spool bearings specifically.

They are simply louder/buzzier than I’d expect them to be. Noticeably louder than my USDM G, and some other various reels in the boat. It affects the “refined” feeling of the reel while casting IMO. Should a new Zillion have as much or more bearing buzz than a 2 year old Tatula? Preferably, no.

Like Ive said, I’m intentionally being picky. What are threads like this for, if not for overly picky assessments of the reel.
My bearings in all my Zillions are silent. When I get home from this deployment I’ll flush them and hopefully casting will be even better.

rto
Angler
Angler

Post by rto » Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:43 pm

AMMOGUY wrote:
rto wrote:
AMMOGUY wrote:
LowRange wrote:
AMMOGUY wrote:

You're in the right place for being picky. Pick away. Apologies if it sounded like I was suggesting you shouldn't be. I wasn't.

If the bearings from your G fit, swap them in. If nothing changes, then it's just the nature of the beast. That's why god made Peltor Shotgunners. :) After fishing with a Chronarch CI4+ and its sizzling brakes, nothing much bothers me. I like a smooth reel as much as the next guy, but I'm thinking about a smooth retrieve. Not during a cast, There's usually some type of casting "sound" whether it's friction from centrifugal brakes or spool bearing sound in general. This always seemed incidental to me, but if it bugs you it bugs you. Hope it works out for you in the end.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:17 pm

Well said rto.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

AMMOGUY
Angler
Angler

Post by AMMOGUY » Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:18 pm

Kimbro1014 wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:40 pm
AMMOGUY wrote:
rto wrote:
AMMOGUY wrote:
LowRange wrote:

My bearings in all my Zillions are silent. When I get home from this deployment I’ll flush them and hopefully casting will be even better.

I have three Zillions now, and I don’t know how any of the bearings in them could be interpreted as “silent” (when casting). Watch my clip of the HD earlier in the thread with the volume all the way up. All of my Zillions “buzzzzzzzz” noticeably when cast. The USDM G the least of the three.

My fishing buddy is a Lews guy, and his newish Tournament Pro wasn’t making half the noise during casts that my Zillion HD was that day. 🤷🏼‍♂️

It’s not like I’m super bothered by it. It’s just an observation when analyzing the refinement of the reel.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:38 am

AMMOGUY wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:18 pm
Kimbro1014 wrote:
AMMOGUY wrote:
rto wrote:
AMMOGUY wrote:

I have three Zillions now, and I don’t know how any of the bearings in them could be interpreted as “silent” (when casting). Watch my clip of the HD earlier in the thread with the volume all the way up. All of my Zillions “buzzzzzzzz” noticeably when cast. The USDM G the least of the three.

My fishing buddy is a Lews guy, and his newish Tournament Pro wasn’t making half the noise during casts that my Zillion HD was that day. 🤷🏼‍♂️

It’s not like I’m super bothered by it. It’s just an observation when analyzing the refinement of the reel.
How fast is the spool spinning? If your are getting baits out there and quickly with a fast spool then there will be some noise vs a slow spool. If its a slower more heavily braked spool then you shouldn't hear anything over the sound of flouro coming off the spool and slapping everything single thing on the way out. If it's a hum its the high speed spool. If it's a raspy sound then the bearings, while functional, are out of spec, under lubricated, wrong lubricant or other issue.
This is what a fast spool sounds like with the camera mounted to the rod. https://youtu.be/OA5bRF_K0Oo

AMMOGUY
Angler
Angler

Post by AMMOGUY » Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:44 am

LowRange wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:38 am
AMMOGUY wrote:
Kimbro1014 wrote:
AMMOGUY wrote:
rto wrote:

How fast is the spool spinning? If your are getting baits out there and quickly with a fast spool then there will be some noise vs a slow spool. If its a slower more heavily braked spool then you shouldn't hear anything over the sound of flouro coming off the spool and slapping everything single thing on the way out. If it's a hum its the high speed spool. If it's a raspy sound then the bearings, while functional, are out of spec, under lubricated, wrong lubricant or other issue.
This is what a fast spool sounds like with the camera mounted to the rod. https://youtu.be/OA5bRF_K0Oo
I'm not sure it needs to be harped on further, but it's just bearing buzz and vibration. It's the factory Zillion HD boost spool, and It's plenty audible even on a short flip of the wrist cast.
(It's an iPhone mic out on the lake, so you have to turn the volume up)

AMMOGUY
Angler
Angler

Post by AMMOGUY » Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:48 am

A couple of other random observations....

The Zillion HD spool shaft does not have the little retainer o-ring on the brake side like the G SV spool. Not sure what effect this has on performance.

The HD knobs also do not have the spring washers under them like the G handle/knobs do.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:03 am

AMMOGUY wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:44 am
LowRange wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:38 am
AMMOGUY wrote:
Kimbro1014 wrote:
AMMOGUY wrote:

I'm not sure it needs to be harped on further, but it's just bearing buzz and vibration. It's the factory Zillion HD boost spool, and It's plenty audible even on a short flip of the wrist cast.
(It's an iPhone mic out on the lake, so you have to turn the volume up)

Yeah that sounds like ass. I would not be a happy camper.