J-Dream spool?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
aqua71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

J-Dream spool?

Post by aqua71 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:50 am

I recently picked up a J Dream 5.3 for deep cranking duties. Will the stock spool be up to the task for bombing 3/4oz+ cranks or should I consider getting a HLC spool (or some other option). I'm interested in the longest casting spool. Thanks in advance.

Jnkoepp
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: J-Dream spool?

Post by Jnkoepp » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:31 am

Stock will be great

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:37 am

If it's half an ounce or more, then it'll bomb out a cast without an issue.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:57 am

My HLC spool out casted my IP spools which are JDream spools but not by much. I was casting heavier frogs on 50# braid and I have to cast a lot harder with IP spool to match the distance of the HLC. They both were in the ballpark though and the HLC was $90 used.

aqua71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aqua71 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:10 pm

Thanks for the feedback. It looks like the stock spool will be up to the task. Cant wait to get it out on the water.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:41 pm

aqua71 wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:50 am
I recently picked up a J Dream 5.3 for deep cranking duties. Will the stock spool be up to the task for bombing 3/4oz+ cranks or should I consider getting a HLC spool (or some other option). I'm interested in the longest casting spool. Thanks in advance.
The HLC spool is made for heavy, compact, aerodynamic baits. I don't think it would do so well with a crankbait. That lip will catch wind.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:41 am

I’d say stick with the jdream spool and upgrade the bearings.
I’m not sure but the 100M I hear is a great optional spool as well
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

aqua71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aqua71 » Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:48 pm

I finally got to test the reel and sadly I was disappointed with the casting (distance) performance. My only mod was flushing the bearings. I no longer have it, but I feel like my Crazy Cranker with the HLC spool far outperformed the J-Dream.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:38 pm

aqua71 wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:48 pm
I finally got to test the reel and sadly I was disappointed with the casting (distance) performance. My only mod was flushing the bearings. I no longer have it, but I feel like my Crazy Cranker with the HLC spool far outperformed the J-Dream.
FWIW, both the J Dream and IP stock spools have mixed results, some experience exceptional performance and some say it's no better than, or even worse than, most other OG Zillion variants (HLC aside) for bomb casts with 1/2 + aerodynamic baits. Honestly, I had an IP68 with an upgraded ZPI spool bearing and it was still a bit of a disappointment. My stock Zillion 100SHA outcast it by a lot...I have a feeling there is something up with the magnets as well.

If I were to want to upgrade the casting performance of an OG Zillion, the current DIY 36mm Zillion spool for roughly $70 is what I would go with. Bear in mind, it is very fast and would serve better with braid, and the Chinese bearing they use is noisy. Also the spool pin is tapered to come out/go in specific to the pin taper (akin to Abu spool pins).
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:17 pm

It is a Hyper Long Cast spool. The J Dream isn't going to cast as far as fast but I find my IP spools to be good enough for long casts but much better all around spools than the HLC. The TD Zillion HLC has a on/off braking braking profile meant for hard snapping bomb casts. I doesnt like tossing a senko at tree and won't even try and brake.

I like my IP spools with braid as jig and worm spools. With a bit of spool tension I can could skip with them but still out distance my old SV spools. I'm using them with flouro this year and so far they haven't wowed me. The loss of the ability to skip once full of a mountain of flouro was disappointing.

aqua71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aqua71 » Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:08 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:41 pm
The HLC spool is made for heavy, compact, aerodynamic baits. I don't think it would do so well with a crankbait. That lip will catch wind.
I have to say that my previous Crazy Cranker with the HLC spool did a great job at launching those big deep cranks particularly those with a weight transfer system.
dragon1 wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:38 pm
If I were to want to upgrade the casting performance of an OG Zillion, the current DIY 36mm Zillion spool for roughly $70 is what I would go with.
I though that spool was discontinued, no? Also, would you choose the DIY spool over the HLC spool, and if so, why?

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:00 am

If you're up for some tinkering, check out this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=77657&hilit=J+Dream+SV#p621373

I did this SV conversion to both of my J-Dream spools and notice a big difference in how they bomb baits. They're closer to an HLC in performance than their stock form but a lot more versatile than an HLC. Pitching to targets, target casting, or going for distance, this mod makes the spool a lot of fun. It just doesn't match the HLC for all out distance, but it isn't a huge difference.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:02 am

I’ll take the spool off your hands
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:04 am

goldrod wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:02 am
I’ll take the spool off your hands
I was thinking the same thing
PEACE

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:48 pm

aqua71 wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:08 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:38 pm
If I were to want to upgrade the casting performance of an OG Zillion, the current DIY 36mm Zillion spool for roughly $70 is what I would go with.
I though that spool was discontinued, no? Also, would you choose the DIY spool over the HLC spool, and if so, why?
The current model is still available...I purchased one from hoohoorjoo earlier this spring and it is a screamer spool.

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/325680201 ... 4itemAdapt

I would only choose the HLC if I also didn't want to pitch and make closer pinpoint casts with baits down to about 1/4 oz. The HLC might be better in max distance with 1/2 oz +, but this current DIY will be a better all around spool. It is faster than even a TDZ Type R + and will cast lighter weights better, just need to adjust mag, tension knob, and thumb accordingly.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."