Port Isabel Texas report. 3/27

Please post your fishing reports (freshwater or saltwater, conventional or fly fishing). You don't have to give away your secret spots but you do have to share what tackle you were using!
THEGAME
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Port Isabel Texas report. 3/27

Post by THEGAME » Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:05 pm

The brother in law and I made it to Port Isabel about 10.00 am saturday. I wanted to hit one of my favorite spots ( the turning basin) first to see if any specks were there.The wind was suposed to be 15 to 20 but I think they missed it by about 10 mph. It was blowing straight in to the basin where I was fishing. This is good because it blows the entire food chain, starting with plankton into the small area. Its bad because I was having to cast into this super stiff breeze and then try to keep in contact with my lure as I worked it in. I waded out to just before where the water starts to drop from waste deep to who knows how deep. I was throwing a Texas Trout killer in white w/chart tail on about a 1/4 oz jig head.About the 3rd cast I hung up on something and had to break it off. I turned and noticed that my headlights were on on my Toyota. So I waded back and turned them off and got a couple more jigs. Then on about the second cast I hooked a nice speck. A 20 incher. The brother in law yelled, nice speck, He was perched on a large chunk of concrete in about 3 feet of water, used for tieing up ships,.He was drowning already dead shrimp and catching piggy perch. After landing it I realized that I left my stringer in the truck. So I make another trip and get the stringer. ( I am out of fillets in the frezzer so I decided to keep some today.) Back out into the water again. By this time the wind had picked up a few more mph. I waded along the drop and made about 4 more casts then A big thump. Set the hook and a REAL nice speck came straight to the top and done her best to throw the jig. I kept the rod tip low and kept the fish from clearing the water on the jumps. I walked the fish over to where Clint was setting on the big concrete block and he hopped down and held the rod while I scooped up the fish.That is one draw back to using long rods wade fishing. I use an 8 foot m action Falcon rod. It is a great rod for whipping fish and casting long distances but it makes getting your hand on a fish while trying to keep from dunking your prize reel in the saltwater is a bit tricky at times. Any way I got the 25 inch speck landed and fished for about another hour with only one bump.The wind was getting worse so we decided to get a bite to eat and hit the swing bridge.

At the swing bridge,The game warden showed up and checked my stringer and licience. Its funny how every one but me decided it was time to leave when he showed up. He is a new warden who patrols Port Isabel and South Padre so be prepared to get checked anywhere in that area. At the swing bridge I caught one more nice speck and a fat mangrove snapper. We caught several undersized snook, specks, mangroves and a few piggies. I also caught this strange looking fish.

The best I can tell, this is the fish. It is called a Lookdown fish.
LOOKDOWN
(Selene vomer)
OTHER NAMES: Jorobado, Horse-head
RANGE: All Florida, the Bahamas and Caribbean.
HABITAT: Lookdown and Moonfish may be found nearly anywhere in shallow coastal waters, but are most common around bridge and dock pilings,
navigation markers, and in channels and canals, where they frequently gather under shoreside lights at night.
DESCRIPTION: Both the Lookdown and the Atlantic Moonfish, Selene setapinnis, are flat, silvery fish of similar size, appearance and habits. Moreover, they are often found in company with each other, which adds to the angler's confusion. The Lookdown has a sloping, concave head and long streamers, running off the dorsal and anal fins. These streamers, however, are not nearly so long and flowing as those of the juvenile African Pompano. The head of the Moonfish is less blunted than that of the Lookdown, and all its fins are short.
SIZE: Both run from hand size to more than 1 pound. World record 4 pounds, 10 ounces.
FOOD VALUE: Excellent panfish.
GAME QUALITIES: Both are aggressive strikers and spirited fighters for their size.
TACKLE AND BAITS: When a good spot has been identified, ultralight or very light spinning and fly tackle provides the most sport. Both fish are good strikers on small jigs and tiny plugs. They also take live minnows and shrimp, but don't much care for dead baits.
FISHING SYSTEMS: Casting; Still Fishing.

B

Here is the stringer I ended up with. Notice my daughter in the pic holding her nose. Just a little FYI. The big speck had a 10+ inch ballywhoo in it, head first. Big baits catch big trout.

All in all it was a good day. I met a few more fellow fishermen and got to put a little fish in the frig.Until next time.

Fish On!

Jinz000
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Port Isabel Texas report. 3/27

Post by Jinz000 » Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:27 pm

Nice report. I enjoy reading your reports Jeff. I have to learn to write reports similar to yours instead of a few sentences. :D

THEGAME
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by THEGAME » Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:34 pm

Jinz000, I just tell it the way I remember it. LOL

Aerotus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Aerotus » Mon Mar 29, 2004 2:18 pm

Excellent report, as always. That is an odd looking fish.
I've never seen anything like that before.
Did it fight good?

THEGAME
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by THEGAME » Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:31 pm

Did it fight good?
Actually it did put up a fair fight. It would turn sade ways and pull pretty good.

seasicknes
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by seasicknes » Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:44 pm

Thats a COOL looking fish. I like the silver color.

Ken (22 hydrasport wa / 17 whaler)

Reno Reeler
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Reno Reeler » Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:27 pm

[font=Century Gothic]The Game,

Great report. I have seen the fish you caught at the Marine World aquarium. They are a schooling fish. They had them displayed in a huge cylindrical tank and they swam in a tight circle around the perimeter of the tank. The ocean is filled with marvelously diverse creatures![/font]