2020 Zodias

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: 2020 Zodias

Post by slipperybob » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:31 pm

So I really got my first field test of my new Zodias Rod. I did bring out both the ZDS70LA and ZDS70MLA. Since I only managed to hook up with fish on the Light power rod, it's really the only one that got the real test. Anyway for both rods casting is wonderful smooth and slick. I didn't put any additional effort other than the bare minimum. Lure retrieve also was wonderful for both rods and both rods don't even feel like 7 feet rods that's I've used in the past. I almost felt like they were shorter rods with feel in likeness to a typical 6'6" rod in use. At first I was wondering what's the ding ding sound while I was using the rod and it turns out that it was just the butt handle clanging onto some D rings on my clothing. I'm still not quite accustomed to this effortless casting motion and having a lure projection itself so smoothly. Still not accustomed to a rod that in the casting motion is so well tuned that I'm not even need any counterforce at the end of the casting stroke nor any need to grip the rod more firm to reduce the harmonic vibration that some rods exhibits.

While hooking up with some little white bass, the Light power rod loads up very well progressively. These are just fish in the 15-19 inch range so not to big nor are small either. Overall I could've confused my sense that it was a Moderate action Medium powered rod with the crispness of feel of a Light powered rod. Only a few times did I look down on the whole rod with the fish on did I notice that it was still a Light powered rod.

Looking forward to also using the ZDS76LA next time in the line up too.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

montey
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by montey » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:47 pm

bwjay wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:36 am
I got my warranty replacement today. They replaced my 6'8MLMF (ZDS268ML) with the new 6'9MLF (ZDS69MLA). The new 6'9 has to be a different blank entirely. It doesn't feel nearly as whippy, it's a bit stiffer and is probably more for jigs/worms/dropshot than moving baits which is what I loved the previous model for. I'm quite sad and I guess now I will have to hunt down the discontinued model. :(
If you drop down the light model Zodias (new style) you might really like. I wouldn't call it really whippy, but it's nice for light stuff. I feel like the 6'9" is almost a medium power rod, almost. I love mine though.

bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bwjay » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:58 am

montey wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:47 pm
bwjay wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:36 am
I got my warranty replacement today. They replaced my 6'8MLMF (ZDS268ML) with the new 6'9MLF (ZDS69MLA). The new 6'9 has to be a different blank entirely. It doesn't feel nearly as whippy, it's a bit stiffer and is probably more for jigs/worms/dropshot than moving baits which is what I loved the previous model for. I'm quite sad and I guess now I will have to hunt down the discontinued model. :(
If you drop down the light model Zodias (new style) you might really like. I wouldn't call it really whippy, but it's nice for light stuff. I feel like the 6'9" is almost a medium power rod, almost. I love mine though.
I'd consider it but it's too long. I like shorter rods especially for bank fishing around cover. I've thrown a few things on the 6'9 for crappies and I think it will suffice. It definitely isn't as noodly so it may not be as good for micro chatterbaits and inline spinners, but it still casts decently and the power is low enough that ultimately it's not that stiff anyway. I have stopped actively searching for the old 6'8 but if I stumble across one you bet your tushy I'm grabbing it.