SV Spool Questions

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
Kimbro1014
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

SV Spool Questions

Post by Kimbro1014 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:48 am

Good Afternoon,

I have a couple of quick questions that weren't directly answered with my use of the search function I was hoping to get some help on.

I purchased four standard SV spools most likely out of the SS SV reels. I haven't been happy with their braking or sticking inductors. I purchased 4 Type R springs from the Tackle Trap and SV ramps. Will changing out only these two parts give me a noticeable increase in casting distance in my TDZs?

I also purchased two Zillion G1 SV spools for use in my TDZs. From what I've seen using the search function, is it pretty universally accepted that I'll be happy dropping these stock spools in my TDZs?

Third question. After I send my spools off to have the springs and ramps installed, how different will they they be than the Zillion SV spools in my TDZs specifically?

Thanks for all of the help and have a great day.

Respectfully,
Joe

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: SV Spool Questions

Post by adam lancia » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:57 am

The stiffer spring will help, but it can also be an inductor size issue as well, depending on which spools you actually have. There are a number of different SV inductors all with different depth and sometimes thicknesses of the inductor cup. Where are you sending the spools to be worked on?

The Zillion G1 spools are pretty fast in stock form, you should be fine with those in a TD-Z. I know I found the one I had a little fast in my OG Steez so the stronger magnets in the TD-Z should make it much more manageable.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:09 am

What Adam said. The spools are nearly identical outside of the inductors. If you put them side by side, you can see that the SS spool inductors stick out a bunch more. You can get an aftermarket inductor from ebay or Aliexpress to swap in.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/254205197260
You can also remove the inductor and carefully shorten it by sanding the outside edge down a little at a time until it is about the same height as the inductor on the Zillion spool. Just put some 1000 grit sand paper on a hard flat surface and rub the inductor end down on it in large circles.

DaveJ

Kimbro1014
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Kimbro1014 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:50 am

adam lancia wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:57 am
Where are you sending the spools to be worked on?
I may look to do the changes myself if not difficult. If it is difficult, I'd send them to Trey Harpel to hook it up.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:59 am

Kimbro1014 wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:50 am
adam lancia wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:57 am
Where are you sending the spools to be worked on?
I may look to do the changes myself if not difficult. If it is difficult, I'd send them to Trey Harpel to hook it up.
Trey knows his stuff, good choice.

It is definitely not complicated work, just finicky getting the c-clip back on the spool shaft. Do yourself a favour and do the work in a bug clear plastic bag, just in case the c-clip, washer, or spring attempt to go into orbit.