BB meaning on reels?

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

BB meaning on reels?

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:28 pm

Hello, I just ordered a Shimano Soare bb 500s for ice fishing.

I was told the BB means "blood brother" to the Soare CI4+ model but was curious to its meaning.

Thanks.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: BB meaning on reels?

Post by Slazmo » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:34 am

Blood Brother... But really it should be BCFAMIM "Backward Cousin From A Married In Mother"

Take the Sephia C3000HGS I recently bought second hand - which turned out to be a polished turd. Its only got the simar shape to the HERO reel, however the gearset is zinc alloy vs cold forged, a Graphite XT7G body vs a Ci4+ and other numerous changes - the oy blood they share is the Name.

It's oy a problem if your really vested in buying quality gear otherwise near enough same same.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:22 am

I'll try to find out for you today. We don't sell it here so my info is limited.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:29 am

There was no official designation for BB. Blood Brother was a nickname given but not sure who gave it. The Soare had 3 different versions/price points. The top was similar to Exsence price point, CI4 is similar to Stradic CI4 price point and the BB is similar to Ultegra price point. That is all the info I could get for you. Hope this helps.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:50 pm

Blood brother sounds good to me and makes sense.

Here are a few more questions that is a bit hard to find out.

I went through the schematics of both reels, it looks as though they are very close.

The Soare CI4+ 500s has CI4+ body, has a CI4+ handle, mangnumlite (MGL) rotor, one bearing in spool and one bearing on
spool shaft, 2 bearings in the handle knob and weighs 4.9oz, same Hagane gears and ratio used between the two reels.

Soare BB 500s has aluminum body (Core Solid) I'm not sure what the rotor material is (MGL???) Its absent of the bearings in the
spool, spool shaft and knobs, I will be adding bearings to the knobs, the reels weighs 5.6oz

What I'm confused about also is how the Soare BB 500s weighs 5.6oz and the Nasci 500 weighs 6.3oz, what on the soare BB is
making it weigh less :?

Is the weight difference being that the rotor is a MGL rotor on the Soare BB 500?
What exactly is Core Solid Series mean on the Soare BB 500s?

Thanks for any info.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:15 am

I am not sure since we do not offer this model in the US. There may be a slight design change to the body to make it considered Core Solid. I have not seen one in person so it's tough to say. For example the Stella SW has a pocket for the anti reverse bearing as part of the body. I can see that being explained as Core Solid, but it is not marketed that way.

The Nasci has a composite body, but that doesn't always mean it will be lighter. More than likely the difference is in the rotor.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:54 am

Bantam1 wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:29 am
... and the BB is similar to Ultegra price point. ...
Bottom Barrel? ;)
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:17 pm

Cal wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:54 am
Bantam1 wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:29 am
... and the BB is similar to Ultegra price point. ...
Bottom Barrel? ;)
Don't make me lock this thread, no name calling.

:big grin:

I'm just wondering when we will get a Exsence 500s for ice fishing.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:48 am

We make a Vanford 500...

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:28 am

Bantam1 wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:48 am
We make a Vanford 500...
I know, I've been waiting to get one.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:26 am

Just to reiterate. Foreign reels do not have any warranty here. Getting parts can take a long time. Lately it's been taking anywhere from 2-3 months. Then as the customer you are required to pay for it all plus the service/repair. If you are willing to accept that then press forward. I suggest sticking to the US models for future support.

I get the allure of the JDM models, but future support is tough. Also in Japan once they discontinue a model they tend to discontinue parts. They become a use up situation based on what they have on hand. For the US market we have some agreements to ensure they retain parts for 5 years minimum (or as close to that as possible). Some models will have parts around for longer.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:01 am

Bantam1 wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:26 am
Just to reiterate. Foreign reels do not have any warranty here. Getting parts can take a long time. Lately it's been taking anywhere from 2-3 months. Then as the customer you are required to pay for it all plus the service/repair. If you are willing to accept that then press forward. I suggest sticking to the US models for future support.

I get the allure of the JDM models, but future support is tough. Also in Japan once they discontinue a model they tend to discontinue parts. They become a use up situation based on what they have on hand. For the US market we have some agreements to ensure they retain parts for 5 years minimum (or as close to that as possible). Some models will have parts around for longer.
That makes sense.