Who is the MOST over rated ?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Who is the MOST over rated ?

Post by Jeffbro999 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:41 pm

You gotta admit though, there’s a lot of whining about not having full cork handles on this forum.

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:14 pm

tywithay wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:15 pm
Not saying I would or wouldn't jerk off to a rod, but I've yet to see one that attractive. To each their own though. This is a judgement free zone.
I like the cut of your jib. :lol:

bronzebacks
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bronzebacks » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:44 pm

The dobyans dx 744 was garbage to me. I read so much hype from the dobyans fan boys about how great of a jig rod so i bit and bought one. Hated everything about it except the cosmetics and balance. To me it was dead in my hands and fished like a 100$ rod with a 350$ price tag

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:46 pm

most over rated things in fishing is high gear ratio reels and split grip eva foam rods.

Fishing with over 50 combo's for just about every fishing species in fresh water, and I can do so virtually without any split grip rods (aside from NRX) and absolutely not one eva foam junker. (aside from the shimano compre trolling rods...the OG eva, and almost worth it on those rods)
1-2%

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:27 pm

SteveSchmelzle wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:46 pm
most over rated things in fishing is high gear ratio reels and split grip eva foam rods.

Fishing with over 50 combo's for just about every fishing species in fresh water, and I can do so virtually without any split grip rods (aside from NRX) and absolutely not one eva foam junker. (aside from the shimano compre trolling rods...the OG eva, and almost worth it on those rods)
Sounds more like personal preference to me.

russ57
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by russ57 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:33 pm

Dobyns

tmd11111
Angler
Angler

Post by tmd11111 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:06 pm

russ57 wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:33 pm
Dobyns
But they have a heck of a fanboy following on Facebook

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:17 pm

tmd11111 wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:06 pm
russ57 wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:33 pm
Dobyns
But they have a heck of a fanboy following on Facebook
So does Chrysler. :lol:
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Thunderblack1984
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:24 am

Another vote for Dobyns.
Philippians 4:6

russ57
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by russ57 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:40 pm

The champion is honestly less sensitive than an omen black and far less sensitive than a tatula.

The DX is less sensitive than a Levante by a lot.

And below the DX all of the rods lack a real locking nut.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:45 pm

I just remember getting the 744dx a few yrs ago cause everybody and their Grandma's neighbor's dog was saying it' was the greatest thing since i was born. Tried it out and sold it in less than a month.

Bought the hp 745 thinking it'd be different this time since i heard Gary Dobyns say they used 46ton toray material. It was actually much better but sold it again haha

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:57 pm

Chode wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:45 pm
I just remember getting the 744dx a few yrs ago cause everybody and their Grandma's neighbor's dog was saying it' was the greatest thing since i was born. Tried it out and sold it in less than a month.

Bought the hp 745 thinking it'd be different this time since i heard Gary Dobyns say they used 46ton toray material. It was actually much better but sold it again haha
When the first generation hit the scene, staffers blanketed the internet with extremely high praise. They honestly did a very, very good job. It's one of the first times, in semi-recent history, I can remember a tackle company using the power of the internet for marketing purposes.

I remember many staffers claiming 'GLX sensitivity'. I gave them a shot, and still have several 2nd generation DXs and one Champion cranking stick. They are nice rods, but I don't think they are worth retail. Also, no GLX sensitivity in my hands.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:15 pm

Gone Phishin wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:57 pm
Chode wrote:

When the first generation hit the scene, staffers blanketed the internet with extremely high praise. They honestly did a very, very good job. It's one of the first times, in semi-recent history, I can remember a tackle company using the power of the internet for marketing purposes.

I remember many staffers claiming 'GLX sensitivity'. I gave them a shot, and still have several 2nd generation DXs and one Champion cranking stick. They are nice rods, but I don't think they are worth retail. Also, no GLX sensitivity in my hands.
The 1st gen Extreme was built on a Lamiglas blank and was trimmed in red, similar to the Savvy series. It was actually a very sensitive rod, but was slightly prone to breakage because of the super high-modulus composition. The 2nd gen was when they went to orange trim.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:30 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:15 pm
Gone Phishin wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:57 pm
Chode wrote:

The 1st gen Extreme was built on a Lamiglas blank and was trimmed in red, similar to the Savvy series. It was actually a very sensitive rod, but was slightly prone to breakage because of the super high-modulus composition. The 2nd gen was when they went to orange trim.
Yup yup. 8-)

Hennessy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hennessy » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:42 pm

I wasted money on 2 diff dobyns extreme generation models. Ended up selling them to a buddy, he fished them maybe 2 weeks before he sold them. Said his $150 Duckett micro magic was more sensitive, I definitely didn’t argue with him. Rod was dead in my hands