Deps Rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Deps Rods

Post by goldrod » Thu May 28, 2020 6:18 am

Anyone have the new rod that’s spiral wrapped?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Deps Rods

Post by Cal » Thu May 28, 2020 6:53 am

I have one I brought back with me in 2013 when I was in Japan. It's a big bait stick, but I've only fished it a handful of times... it's heavy, rear handle is too short, and just wasn't comfortable to fish so I didn't use it long enough to write up and of course, other products kept leap frogging it in priority.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu May 28, 2020 8:47 am

Cal wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 6:53 am
I have one I brought back with me in 2013 when I was in Japan. It's a big bait stick, but I've only fished it a handful of times... it's heavy, rear handle is too short, and just wasn't comfortable to fish so I didn't use it long enough to write up and of course, other products kept leap frogging it in priority.
Thanks Cal.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Sat May 30, 2020 6:35 pm

goldrod wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 6:18 am
It would be nice to have a model # to know about which one are we talking.
I believe DEPS has at least 5 or 6 rods with spiral guides.
I myself have 3 in my rod rack that use whenever adequate.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat May 30, 2020 7:10 pm

Carlos Carrapiço wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 6:35 pm
goldrod wrote:
I have limited knowledge
Tell me what you got?
I saw a feed on my Instagram which prompted the question

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:50 pm

goldrod wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 7:10 pm
Carlos Carrapiço wrote:
goldrod wrote:
I have limited knowledge
Tell me what you got?
From DEPS I have the following:
Huge Custom H3S-81RF, H3S-76RF, H2S-75RF

The H3S-81RF and H3S-76RF are exactly the same rod but with different lengths. They cast up to 10oz and have a soft tip with a very powerful backbone. They are definitely hard swimbait fishing machines. These rods are heavy because they use what I believe is called thick wall construction which gives rods a smaller outer diameter but very powerful feeling and yet very flexible. In terms of action, in my opinion they are true regular fast and really help to keep fish hooked. I have and EverGreen Heracles HCSC-74X "The Actaeon" which is a swimbait rod up to 4oz and I always feel that it is too stiff even compared to any of the above and I credit some big fish lost to this.

The H2S-75RF has a different feel to it and seems more reactive. In fact seems more stiff than the H3S-76RF which is a power heavier. In my opinion, is a rod more focused on big softbaits where you have to set a heavy hook and need a lots of backbone.
It can also double as a hard swimbait rod but not my first choice.

Then I have a SIDEWINDER HGC-83∞R (Strong Mind)
This rod is made to fish with the biggest swimbaits and is able to cast 2kg (70oz.).
The idea behind the rod is to be able to immediately move a bigbait when setting the hook. If you fish with a 1lb swimbait and you try to set the hook, a traditional rod will have the tip bend and will delay the hook set or not deliver enough pressure to pierce the fish's jaw.
This will not happen with the HGC-83∞R. In fact the action is regular but you will hardly see it bend.
10oz swimbaits are really easy to cast but if you double that it start to be hard to hold the spool with your thumb when casting.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:02 pm

Carlos Carrapiço wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:50 pm
goldrod wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 7:10 pm
Carlos Carrapiço wrote:
goldrod wrote:
I have limited knowledge
Tell me what you got?
From DEPS I have the following:
Huge Custom H3S-81RF, H3S-76RF, H2S-75RF

The H3S-81RF and H3S-76RF are exactly the same rod but with different lengths. They cast up to 10oz and have a soft tip with a very powerful backbone. They are definitely hard swimbait fishing machines. These rods are heavy because they use what I believe is called thick wall construction which gives rods a smaller outer diameter but very powerful feeling and yet very flexible. In terms of action, in my opinion they are true regular fast and really help to keep fish hooked. I have and EverGreen Heracles HCSC-74X "The Actaeon" which is a swimbait rod up to 4oz and I always feel that it is too stiff even compared to any of the above and I credit some big fish lost to this.

The H2S-75RF has a different feel to it and seems more reactive. In fact seems more stiff than the H3S-76RF which is a power heavier. In my opinion, is a rod more focused on big softbaits where you have to set a heavy hook and need a lots of backbone.
It can also double as a hard swimbait rod but not my first choice.

Then I have a SIDEWINDER HGC-83∞R (Strong Mind)
This rod is made to fish with the biggest swimbaits and is able to cast 2kg (70oz.).
The idea behind the rod is to be able to immediately move a bigbait when setting the hook. If you fish with a 1lb swimbait and you try to set the hook, a traditional rod will have the tip bend and will delay the hook set or not deliver enough pressure to pierce the fish's jaw.
This will not happen with the HGC-83∞R. In fact the action is regular but you will hardly see it bend.
10oz swimbaits are really easy to cast but if you double that it start to be hard to hold the spool with your thumb when casting.

Man I appreciate the time you spent writing this up..
at first glance the "strong mind" is the one Ive been needing for some time especially now.
( Side Note: I have a project in the back yard that has the be square and the ground level and its so frustrating trying to level this ground but I promised the wife I'll get it done.. Ive started over three times already. )

Anyways the information you provide and the insight from others have helped me to know more about these rods and what their strengths are. Im not a dedicated swimbait angler. I have been using this Savage soft blue gill bait but Ive found that its best to be pitched and swam back.. I've not had any success on long cast. Im using a Power Versatile for this bait and I dont see me moving past its weight.. Thanks again..

V/R
GoldRod.