Budget Ajing Rod under 7 ft (spinning)

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Lafalot
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Budget Ajing Rod under 7 ft (spinning)

Post by Lafalot » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:42 pm

Hi all, long time lurker here. Me and my wife have gotten into panfishing from our kayaks recently. Between the two of us we have a St. Croix trout rod (5'6) and an old "xtralite" Quantum rod. Now I'm usually using the St Croix and my wife preferred the Quantum. I like fishing tiny trout magnets and she's more of a fan of live bait on bobbers.

All is good until one day we swapped rods and now the St. Croix rod belongs to her. Works out for me because I get to go rod shopping. I read a ton on here and it sounds like an ultralight Ajing rod is the way to go for tiny jigs. I never realized it before but i was missing a fair number of hook sets on the trout rod which wasn't quite that fast. Looking for recommendations on an Ajing rod(spinning) that's under 7 ft .. 6 ft would be ideal. I'm specifically looking at budget options because I've seen some of the gear you guys use and am scared to get sucked into that vortex.

So far I've found that people are recommending the Kuying Tetons a lot. Saw a thread on the Kuying Super Lite but that feels a little too long for my tastes. Was about to pull the trigger on a 602sul Teton when I saw a "Tsurinoya ELF" Ajing rod. Anyone have experience with the Tsurinoya Ajing rods? They look pretty sweet.. but I haven't heard much about them.

What do you guys reccomend around $75? Am I totally off base on the Ajing rods?

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Budget Ajing Rod under 7 ft (spinning)

Post by Knotty » Fri May 01, 2020 11:07 am

Take a look at TSURINOYA Dexterity Spinning Fishing Rod 1.89m UL Tip Fast Action on AliExpress as a cheaper alternative to the Elf, if your interested.

$55 shipped.

1.89 meters

.6-8g lure rating

I love ajing rods because they work great with Trout Magnets but are usually also capable of throwing upto anywhere from 5-10g as well. Highly recommended.

Lafalot
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Lafalot » Fri May 01, 2020 1:16 pm

Thanks for the recommendation - I did ask for a "budget" but it is fairly flexible and the ELF is definitely within my range. Do you think that the ELF Ajing rod would be a better way to get a representative Ajing experience versus the Dexterity rod? Last thing I want to do is wait 3+ weeks for delivery and not get the "full" experience. At some point I know it's splitting hairs but after reading so much about how Ajing rods fish so differently than anything we have here I'm convinced I need to give them a fair shot.

I was a little concerned about the quality of Tsurinoya since I've not heard of them before but if you guys are recommending them I'm willing to take a flier. Gotta say I've never been this excited to order a panfish rod..

ftl1951
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ftl1951 » Sun May 03, 2020 6:30 am

Interestingly enough, my son has purchased several Chinese manufactured rods including a Tsurinoya ELF, but the trout version, not the Ajing. He got this one specifically for my grandson and he loves it. I would like to offer my experience about general Chinese-made fishing rods versus ones designed for the Japanese market. There is a difference in build and design. I have several generic rods from China and all fish very well, some extremely so. Since starting this journey down the rabbit hole in JDM gear, I have to say that the Japanese have a different approach to what can be described as design specific. One of the qualities they seem to demand is sensitivity. Their designs and use of materials focus on how the bite translates to the fisherman. Even the JDM rods manufactured in China are of high quality and meet exacting specifications. An issue is where does price begin to dictate quality and fishing experience? As I said, I have several $50 to $75 Chinese spinning rods. They fish extremely well. I also said I have stepped down the rabbit hole and as I have increased my budget, the difference is definitely noticeable. Does one need a $500 rod to have a great fishing experience? Absolutely not. Is there a difference in sensitivity between a $75 and $500 rod? Absolutely yes. But, there is a difference in sensitivity between a general market Chinese rod and one made for the JDM.

So, with all that being said, you might want to consider a slight increase in budget and take a look at a Major Craft Ajing rod. A Crostage CRX-S642AJI might be an option (roughly $100). Or possibly do a bit more research to find a rod designed for the JDM and actually sold in Japan. I have not been disappointed in any of the JDM rods I have purchased. They are extremely fun to fish and all are very sensitive.

Lastly, I don’t think you will be disappointed with the Tsurinoya ELF. I have used it (trout version) and find it a lot of fun and a great ultralight rod. As for comparison to a trout rod (not Ajing), I have a Major Craft Finetail Area Trout rod 6’3” UL and in my experiencing the two rods side by side, the Finetail is in a different league. Is it worth twice the price? For me yes, but I repeat, not necessary to have a good fishing experience.

I wish you well in your quest. I hope you have better luck in not falling in the trap of “collecting” JDM rods. I’m still trying to find the bottom of this rabbit hole...

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Sun May 03, 2020 8:15 am

Very much agree with flt1951. For me, cheap to moderately priced rods from Kuying and Tsurinoya are where I test what type of rods I'm going to enjoy fishing. Once that's dialed in I have generally been moving up to Major Craft rods. I have no regrets with regards to the cheaper purchases and still fish those rods. The Major Craft Finetail Area Stage 6'3" SUL is my all time favorite rod. Worthy of a much higher price IMHO, but it's not an ajing rod and doesn't pretend to be.

Regarding the Elf v. Dexterity, I would expect the Elf to be a better ajing experience. With all these rods, remember just how light they are and how easy they are to break when mishandled.

Trout Bloke
Angler
Angler

Post by Trout Bloke » Sun May 03, 2020 9:27 am

I agree with the others, I would research the Crostage or Solpara series of light game rods offered by Major Craft if seeking a low cost Ajing rod:

https://www.majorcraft.co.jp/roditem/10032?lang=en

https://www.majorcraft.co.jp/roditem/8016?lang=en

I own 2 rods by Major Craft (Days and Finetail) and am very impressed so far. Won't ever purchase a St. Croix after fishing these JDM rods

Another low cost option option is the Trout Slayer Series (TSS) rod by Trout Magnet or Leland's TCB rod by BnM. I bought a TSS rod for my son and its a very decent rod.

Lafalot
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Lafalot » Sun May 03, 2020 1:49 pm

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. I pulled the trigger on the ELF Ajing rods a day or two ago. Definitely planning to check out some of the major craft offerings in the future. Starting from a budget level really helps me appreciate the subtle differences in rod performance as you move up. Also thanks for the heads up on not mishandling the rods. I suspect the first few times I get snagged on the rod will be a test for me, I've never really been one to baby my gear.

That being said, what kind of line are you all using on the ultralight Ajing rods? I was thinking 10 lb braid to 4 lb leader but that sounds like its a little too much?

ftl1951
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ftl1951 » Sun May 03, 2020 2:55 pm

Lafalot wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 1:49 pm
Thanks everyone for the recommendations. I pulled the trigger on the ELF Ajing rods a day or two ago. Definitely planning to check out some of the major craft offerings in the future. Starting from a budget level really helps me appreciate the subtle differences in rod performance as you move up. Also thanks for the heads up on not mishandling the rods. I suspect the first few times I get snagged on the rod will be a test for me, I've never really been one to baby my gear.

That being said, what kind of line are you all using on the ultralight Ajing rods? I was thinking 10 lb braid to 4 lb leader but that sounds like its a little too much?
To get the best performance, you need to go with a light line. To start getting the best experience, maybe even go with Nanofil or try a much lighter braided line with a shock leader. I have used the Stren Magnathin mono with decent success. It is a domestic mono that is thinner than most standard offerings. If you want the best results for ultralight, then JDM lines are highly recommended. From their fluorocarbons, mono (nylon) lines, and braids, they are the best lines on the market. I recently started using Ester lines with tremendous results. You just have to be careful with line management. It loves to just fall off the spool, but wow, does it cast a 1/64th jig head a mile... The Leland Troutmagnet SOS 2lb or 4lb test is also a good choice to start as it is a lot less demanding, or some would say it is much more forgiving when starting down the ultralight line experience. Good stuff. If you want to spend extra for braid, try one of the Japanese braided offerings. It is truly amazing. If you can force yourself down to a lighter line choice, I think you will get more out of what the Ajing rod has to offer.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Mon May 04, 2020 6:34 am

To really get an good ajing rod experience I highly suggest you try the Major Craft Triple Cross. For the money it is a great rod. I know it is more than you budgeted for but I think it will wow you with sensitivity and it is a good looking rod to boot.

Regards

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Mon May 04, 2020 5:05 pm

If you're going to fish Trout Magnets mostly, I'd begin with 4# flouro and eventually go down to 2#. I like Seaguar R18 Yellow Hunter because it's got good visibility and sensitivity. You might be able to use higher test flouro if you're not going to be fishing at depth very much. I use 2.3# ester line a lot because it has even better sensitivity but line management can be an issue.

Braid with a flouro leader is not ideal for Trout Magnets IMHO. The floating braid just puts too much arc in the line. Again, not much of an issue if you're fishing shallower or in streams. The other issue with braid is it usually involves more complicated main to leader knots and with UL you'll be breaking off leaders with some frequency.

Just my thoughts. Others may feel differently.

ftl1951
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ftl1951 » Tue May 05, 2020 12:30 pm

I highly recommend watching TroutMagnetMan on YouTube. Alphahawk (TroutMagnetMan) has some extremely valuable videos on ultralight gear, especially the equipment made for the JDM. He has very entertaining fishing videos as well. Lots of great Crappie, Bluegill, White Bass, Trout, fishing videos, and other species all on ultralight gear. Many value his advice and insights and for good reason. He really knows his stuff. Oh, by the way, if you want to use Trout Magnets, then by the YouTube title/channel alone, his specialty is self explanatory.

Lafalot
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Lafalot » Thu May 07, 2020 2:10 pm

ftl1951 wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 12:30 pm
I highly recommend watching TroutMagnetMan on YouTube. Alphahawk (TroutMagnetMan) has some extremely valuable videos on ultralight gear, especially the equipment made for the JDM. He has very entertaining fishing videos as well. Lots of great Crappie, Bluegill, White Bass, Trout, fishing videos, and other species all on ultralight gear. Many value his advice and insights and for good reason. He really knows his stuff. Oh, by the way, if you want to use Trout Magnets, then by the YouTube title/channel alone, his specialty is self explanatory.
I have watched many of his videos and will probably go with his recommendation on this thread if I step up to the next level. The one thing that stood out to me was that he always reels against the drag. Now I understand that he's using super light line so the drag is likely pretty loose, but conventional wisdom is to not reel against drag and instead kind of pump the rod. Anyone know why? Is this specific to ultralight or the fragility of these rods?

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Thu May 07, 2020 3:09 pm

Lafalot wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 2:10 pm
ftl1951 wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 12:30 pm
I have watched many of his videos and will probably go with his recommendation on this thread if I step up to the next level. The one thing that stood out to me was that he always reels against the drag. Now I understand that he's using super light line so the drag is likely pretty loose, but conventional wisdom is to not reel against drag and instead kind of pump the rod. Anyone know why? Is this specific to ultralight or the fragility of these rods?

These rods are not that fragile...as long as they are not abused. I use 2.3# test ester monofilament line....which is made from polyester. It sinks....has zero stretch....is super sensitive. I use a 2# test FC shock leader with this line. I have my drag set at 15-20 percent....same as if I was using a PE line. I love this line...it helps me put a lot of fish in the boat. If a fish is making a run I let it run...but if he is just fighting around I am reeling, and because I have my drag set so loose it slips. Believe me I do not want to reel when a fish is pulling major drag. This line will change the way one fishes. I hate it when a fish breaks off. I have done drag test using a Bouz Drag Checker with the rods I use set at a 45 degree deflection angle....raise the angle just a few more degrees and this line can snap in a hurry. If I am targeting smallmouth I will use a rod with nylon mono. But like today I was after bluegill....but I knew there were going to be Smallies and KY bass in the area. So the drag best be set right or one will get their heart broke. Hooked and landed a very nice 16 inch Smallie today. Another thing about this line....better have it rigged to the right rod for what one is wanting to do. I carry my 6 foot SUL rod in case I come up on a bluegill bed and I can work them over with it and have a ton of fun. Come July-August I will target a lot of 14-15 inch KY bass. For that I will switch to a 6' 7" or longer rod.....it gives me a lot more rod deflection and helps me take pressure off the polyester line. I hope this has cleared it up some. I watch a ton of Japanese youtube videos of where they are using this light line and landing big trout.....what do I see......they are reeling against the drag also. To me it is a balancing act and all about the fun....but don't be afraid of these rods. In 8 years I have broken 2...stupidity on my part.

Regards