Valkyrie rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
russ57
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Valkyrie rods

Post by russ57 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:49 am

Has anyone used these? I am curious, but the listed weights are abusrdly heavy, which made me skeptical. Do they feel that heavy in hand?

bbates3
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Valkyrie rods

Post by bbates3 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:51 am

Great rods

I’ve got the 71 and 611mh

Yes they are heavy by weight

But I don’t really notice it when fishing.

Most of it is that metal trim and then the adjustable butt

I use them for moving baits

Chatters on the 71 and spinnerbait, swimjig on the 611 mh

The 71 is more moderate
Last edited by bbates3 on Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

poot04
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by poot04 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:40 pm

bbates3 wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:51 am
Great rods

I’ve got the 71 and 611mh

Yes they are heavy by weight

But I don’t really notice it when fishing.

Most of it is that metal trim and then the adjustable butt

I use them for moving baits

Chatters on the 71 and spinnerbait, swimjig on the 611 my
Absolutely agree with everything you said. I have 6’11 mh as well and use it for the same thing and spinners and chatters. The weight is well distributed and they balance very well.

russ57
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by russ57 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:37 pm

Any expereince with the 72H?

poot04
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by poot04 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:04 pm

russ57 wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:37 pm
Any expereince with the 72H?
No, but Gary at TTT has the knowledge you seek as he know mb better then most if not all!!!

Thunderblack1984
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:45 am

I purchased the 6'11 spinning with weight being a factor that worried me. I wanted to post some pics but its a very nice stick. I'd buy another in a heartbeat. I wish more manufactures built rods like Megabass. Their quality control is amazing.
Philippians 4:6

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:54 am

Russ57,

Be like Conan and feel the power, don't be scared :P

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:58 am

Side note there are a number of differences between the first series and the World Expedition, both make me happy in my pants :lol:

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Revofisher » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:47 am

do you guys that own the valkyrie know how the sliding handle works? meaning can it sort of lock in place when set or can it just move up and down whenever it pleases. Man im having a hard time asking this lol.

If i want the handle set at a certain length will it lock at that length or over a day of fishing will i keep having to slide the handle around?

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:03 pm

Revofisher wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:47 am
do you guys that own the valkyrie know how the sliding handle works? meaning can it sort of lock in place when set or can it just move up and down whenever it pleases. Man im having a hard time asking this lol.

If i want the handle set at a certain length will it lock at that length or over a day of fishing will i keep having to slide the handle around?
It unscrews and you adjust the length.. At that point you just screw to tighten and leave it in place.. simple and easy
when done correctly it doesn't move.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:35 pm

I was reading the TT article on Valkyrie rods just last night: http://www.tackletour.com/reviewmegabassvalkyrie.html

One thing it didn't address is the sensitivity of the hybrid Shielz material; how does it affect sensitivity? Is it on par with Destroyers etc.?

bbates3
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bbates3 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:41 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:35 pm
I was reading the TT article on Valkyrie rods just last night: http://www.tackletour.com/reviewmegabassvalkyrie.html

One thing it didn't address is the sensitivity of the hybrid Shielz material; how does it affect sensitivity? Is it on par with Destroyers etc.?

So these are a blend with some fiberglass

And I think most destroyers are 100% graphite

So no I would say they probably aren’t as sensitive as a destroyer Nor as light

But ... I feel the Valkyrie is a more durable rod and just feels great to fish.

I feel in general these shine for moving baits

I wouldn’t buy one for bouncing the bottom will they ?

Yes but in my hands I prefer them for moving stuff And feel they are very sensitive And don’t think I’m giving up bunch if any to a graphite rod

Jeep
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Jeep » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:35 pm

I just received the 7'1" MH from the tackle trap last week. As far as it being sensitive I think it will be over the top for spinner baits and bladed jigs. I have personally seen that sensitivity is partial to the persons perception in their hands. One thing I learned was that as a fisherman you have to really spend quality time fishing with a rod to learn for yourself whether its on par with what your looking for. Megabass knocks it outa the park as far as my personal preference. I have owned and used NRX rods and more than a few Megabass rods. I used to order rod after rod and didnt really stop and fish a rod to understand how sensitive it actually was. Bronzefly recommended the 7'1" for spinner baits last year. Im new to this sight and I hope your all doing well and your families.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:28 pm

Agreed that sensitivity is subjective, was mostly wondering if you'd consider any of these rods for bottom contact applications, and @bbates3 answered that (was looking at the VKC72H (Casting) specs: "Jigs, Texas Rigs 7'2" Heavy Fast 12-20 3/8-2 $499.00").

I have an FMJ for jigs that I really like, so that's a good comparison baseline for me. Sounds like I'd want to stick with Destroyers, anyway.)

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:56 pm

Jeep wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:35 pm
I just received the 7'1" MH from the tackle trap last week. As far as it being sensitive I think it will be over the top for spinner baits and bladed jigs. I have personally seen that sensitivity is partial to the persons perception in their hands. One thing I learned was that as a fisherman you have to really spend quality time fishing with a rod to learn for yourself whether its on par with what your looking for. Megabass knocks it outa the park as far as my personal preference. I have owned and used NRX rods and more than a few Megabass rods. I used to order rod after rod and didnt really stop and fish a rod to understand how sensitive it actually was. Bronzefly recommended the 7'1" for spinner baits last year. Im new to this sight and I hope your all doing well and your families.

Take your time and tell us how and when your perception changed.
That rod has an action that keeps fish pinned. It’s more of a reaction bait rod for me personally but if it’s not to your liking I can understand. I’d be surprised but I’d understand.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible