Reel Recommendation for Steez XBD Frog Rod

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
chrisg_sdcf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 542
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 6:27 pm

Reel Recommendation for Steez XBD Frog Rod

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:07 am

Anyone want to recommend a reel for a steez xbd frog rod?

Thanks

User avatar
jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 529
Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 5:10 pm

Re: Reel Recommendation for Steez XBD Frog Rod

Post by jmb27 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:19 am

I use a Daiwa Type R. Works great with braid.

Another good choice would be MB IP 79 or 68.

chrisg_sdcf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 542
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 6:27 pm

Re: Reel Recommendation for Steez XBD Frog Rod

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:24 am

jmb27 wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:19 am
I use a Daiwa Type R. Works great with braid.

Another good choice would be MB IP 79 or 68.
Zillion type r?

User avatar
jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 529
Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 5:10 pm

Re: Reel Recommendation for Steez XBD Frog Rod

Post by jmb27 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:02 am

Yes, that's the model that I've used on mine.

poot04
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 104
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:13 pm

Re: Reel Recommendation for Steez XBD Frog Rod

Post by poot04 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:03 am

Deps Dr-100zx if you can find it

chrisg_sdcf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 542
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 6:27 pm

Re: Reel Recommendation for Steez XBD Frog Rod

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:08 am

poot04 wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:03 am
Deps Dr-100zx if you can find it
Found one but I don't plan on buying it for almost $700

https://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/k34 ... ng_history

poot04
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 104
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:13 pm

Re: Reel Recommendation for Steez XBD Frog Rod

Post by poot04 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:45 am

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:08 am
poot04 wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:03 am
Deps Dr-100zx if you can find it
Found one but I don't plan on buying it for almost $700

https://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/k34 ... ng_history
Some on the bay in the 400 range

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 3974
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:30 pm

Re: Reel Recommendation for Steez XBD Frog Rod

Post by goldrod » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:08 pm

Bantam
That’s what I am currently using
Sometimes in life, you are the bug and sometimes your the windshield.
Instagram is @1ncetime

chrisg_sdcf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 542
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 6:27 pm

Re: Reel Recommendation for Steez XBD Frog Rod

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:33 pm

Anyone use a round reel for frogs, pitching/flipping, heavy jigs, light swimbaits/glidebaits? I found one I like the looks of but don't have a use for it if it doesn't work well for those lures.

User avatar
ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 606
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:21 pm
Location: Southern California

Re: Reel Recommendation for Steez XBD Frog Rod

Post by ogrich31 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:26 am

I switch from a Zillion Type R with a 100m spool (20lb fluoro) and 13Met (50lb braid), depending on time of year basically.

As soon as I pick up the AGS model, I'll decide what reel goes to which rod.

Round reels just don't fit my hands that well so I rarely use them for anything other than giant swimbaits. For my smaller swimbaits, I prefer a 200 sized reel.

chrisg_sdcf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 542
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 6:27 pm

Re: Reel Recommendation for Steez XBD Frog Rod

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:41 am

ogrich31 wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:26 am
I switch from a Zillion Type R with a 100m spool (20lb fluoro) and 13Met (50lb braid), depending on time of year basically.

As soon as I pick up the AGS model, I'll decide what reel goes to which rod.

Round reels just don't fit my hands that well so I rarely use them for anything other than giant swimbaits. For my smaller swimbaits, I prefer a 200 sized reel.
Thanks. Im looking for old zillions, sv103xsl, and megabass IP79's now. Would love a type r.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 3974
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:30 pm

Re: Reel Recommendation for Steez XBD Frog Rod

Post by goldrod » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:02 am

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:41 am
ogrich31 wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:26 am
I switch from a Zillion Type R with a 100m spool (20lb fluoro) and 13Met (50lb braid), depending on time of year basically.

As soon as I pick up the AGS model, I'll decide what reel goes to which rod.

Round reels just don't fit my hands that well so I rarely use them for anything other than giant swimbaits. For my smaller swimbaits, I prefer a 200 sized reel.
Thanks. Im looking for old zillions, sv103xsl, and megabass IP79's now. Would love a type r.

I have an SV103xs on a super Rakkai rod with braid
Not the same in terms of set up I know but the reel gives me the gear ratio I want with the ergonomics of an OG Zillion with the spool options of a Steez or TDZ. I use it for frogs
Sometimes in life, you are the bug and sometimes your the windshield.
Instagram is @1ncetime

chrisg_sdcf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 542
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 6:27 pm

Re: Reel Recommendation for Steez XBD Frog Rod

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:10 am

goldrod wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:02 am
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:41 am
ogrich31 wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:26 am
I switch from a Zillion Type R with a 100m spool (20lb fluoro) and 13Met (50lb braid), depending on time of year basically.

As soon as I pick up the AGS model, I'll decide what reel goes to which rod.

Round reels just don't fit my hands that well so I rarely use them for anything other than giant swimbaits. For my smaller swimbaits, I prefer a 200 sized reel.
Thanks. Im looking for old zillions, sv103xsl, and megabass IP79's now. Would love a type r.

I have an SV103xs on a super Rakkai rod with braid
Not the same in terms of set up I know but the reel gives me the gear ratio I want with the ergonomics of an OG Zillion with the spool options of a Steez or TDZ. I use it for frogs
They are nice. Just gotta wait for one to pop up in the classifieds. Guess I should post a WTB and see what happens.

User avatar
ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 606
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:21 pm
Location: Southern California

Re: Reel Recommendation for Steez XBD Frog Rod

Post by ogrich31 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:58 am

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:10 am
They are nice. Just gotta wait for one to pop up in the classifieds. Guess I should post a WTB and see what happens.
I might have a spare type R and SV103. Both RH and both 6.3:1, but I have new 7.3:1 gears from the type R that I haven't used. Not sure if I want to let them go though lol.

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2152
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:33 pm
Location: St. Peters, MO

Re: Reel Recommendation for Steez XBD Frog Rod

Post by steve1206 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:53 am

I had a Zillion Type-R on mine back in the day, but put a Steez A on my new AGS version...

Post Reply