Chronarch CI4+ Chronarch MGL spool swap?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
rto
Angler
Angler

Chronarch CI4+ Chronarch MGL spool swap?

Post by rto » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:38 pm

I lucked into a NIB Chronarch CI4+ at a divorce/fire sale price. It's a nice reel, but when I run it with just one of the red brake blocks engaged it screams. I've oiled the brake pipe. No bueno. It still does it. I don't notice anything like this sound coming from my K. Is there a stock or aftermarket spool with the later SVS Infinity white brake blocks, it doesn't need to be an MGL spool, that'll drop into the CI4+ and function correctly? Or is there a way to mount a later brake block assembly on my current spool. I'm aware that there's a special tool/ puller available to remove the assembly.

TIA!

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Chronarch CI4+ Chronarch MGL spool swap?

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:40 pm

I would replace the spool bearings.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:46 am

There is a way you can help remove it with string. Just do a Google search and it's around somewhere...

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:51 am

To use the MGL spool in the CI4, you will need the spool and sideplate

wilddog66
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wilddog66 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:49 am

I have changed the original side plate assembly’s on both my Chronarch CI4+ reels to the MGL sideplate assembly’s. The side plates themselves are a different color, but will swap perfectly. I can use either the Chronarch G or MGL spools. Expensive, bit a worthwhile conversion in my view.

The G spool weighs 15.5 grams, the MGL weighs 13.5 grams and handles lighter weights much better but is not saltwater safe. I’m planning to try an Avail spool that weighs slightly less than the MGL spool that should be (reasonably) saltwater safe. It will be mounted on a GLX 842C MBR with 18lb Sunline Xplasma Asegai braid for jerkbaits and poppers on the Gulf Coast.

rto
Angler
Angler

Post by rto » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:14 am

wilddog66 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:49 am
I have changed the original side plate assembly’s on both my Chronarch CI4+ reels to the MGL sideplate assembly’s. The side plates themselves are a different color, but will swap perfectly. I can use either the Chronarch G or MGL spools. Expensive, bit a worthwhile conversion in my view.

The G spool weighs 15.5 grams, the MGL weighs 13.5 grams and handles lighter weights much better but is not saltwater safe. I’m planning to try an Avail spool that weighs slightly less than the MGL spool that should be (reasonably) saltwater safe. It will be mounted on a GLX 842C MBR with 18lb Sunline Xplasma Asegai braid for jerkbaits and poppers on the Gulf Coast.
Great news! I'm freshwater only, so I'm good. Did you swap it out for the same reason I wish to? Is there a specific schematic I need to reference once I'm ready to order from the Shimano parts site? Is it the '16 MGL?

Thanks!

rto
Angler
Angler

Post by rto » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:20 am

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:40 pm
I would replace the spool bearings.
That might happen, but I'm pretty sure that's not the source of the sound I'm talking about. The bearings have been flushed then oiled. With 2 blocks engaged it sounds a bit zippy compared to the K or SLX XT, but with only one block engaged it sizzles on the cast and sounds broken.

wilddog66
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wilddog66 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:00 am

The OG CI4+ braking was both noisy and inconsistent. Braking working fine one minute, then back lashing every cast 2 minutes later. Adjustment range was poor, changed a lot between 1 and 2.5, little change if any between 3 & 6. The upgraded spool & brakes fixed everything. For some reason, the Chronarch G side plate Assy was about $10 cheaper than the MGL, and there’s also a price difference between the MGL and G spools. Since you are FW only, I’d go with the MGL spool.

reznor
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by reznor » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:38 pm

I'm 99% sure that you only need 3 parts for convert your ch C4 to Mgl : brake pipe, brake case and dial screw ,just check the schematics ;)

rto
Angler
Angler

Post by rto » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:49 am

wilddog66 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:00 am
The OG CI4+ braking was both noisy and inconsistent. Braking working fine one minute, then back lashing every cast 2 minutes later. Adjustment range was poor, changed a lot between 1 and 2.5, little change if any between 3 & 6. The upgraded spool & brakes fixed everything. For some reason, the Chronarch G side plate Assy was about $10 cheaper than the MGL, and there’s also a price difference between the MGL and G spools. Since you are FW only, I’d go with the MGL spool.
Thanks for the thorough reply. I don't seem to have much of an issue with 2 brake blocks engaged regarding backlashes. However, with the dial set within it's lower range it seems as with one click lower the braking falls off a cliff. It's not as gradual as I'd like. It's that and the unacceptable clatter it makes with one brake block engaged. But I'm glad there's a solution.

rto
Angler
Angler

Post by rto » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:51 am

reznor wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:38 pm
I'm 99% sure that you only need 3 parts for convert your ch C4 to Mgl : brake pipe, brake case and dial screw ,just check the schematics ;)
That would be great! I can live with a multicolored reel, but if it's not necessary...

Thanks! I'll check it out