Pinion to main gear relationship

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
rto
Angler
Angler

Pinion to main gear relationship

Post by rto » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:41 pm

Hello all,

I recently tore down my Tat SV for a cleaning and lube. This is the fourth time in 2 years. Something's odd this time around though. The reel is now a bit geary after re-assembly. What prompted the latest lube job was that I was hearing a squeak. I figured it was either the outermost bearing for the main shaft or the ARB. Turns out it was the ARB. Anyway, I'm tempted to take it apart and index the pinion until I can establish the relationship it had to the main gear before I took it apart this time. Maybe it wore-in in that position? I wish I'd put a witness mark on both gears before I took it apart. Do you think this would've mattered? Parts are on backorder from Daiwa as we speak.

Thanks!

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Pinion to main gear relationship

Post by toddmc » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:34 pm

I don't think that you need to mark the gears. Although the gears are brass, I don't think that they are very durable. Also, you may have put the reel together incorrectly, causing an issue.
For what it's worth, I bought one of the first batch of Tatula Type-R reels. I hooked a catfish that was about 15 pounds on 12lb. Sniper throwing a squarebill. The fish took several long drag stripping runs before I got it out to deep water. Although I had caught several large bass on the reel between 7 and 8lbs. with no problem, the gears were horribly rough as a result of catching the catfish. I have never had a problem with other Daiwa baitcasters with brass gears. The drag washer on the main gear of the Tatula was also very brittle, to the point of crumbling. I put in a Carbontex washer with new gears. The reel is as smooth as ever. Maybe somebody with a heavily used fleet of Tatula's can speak to the durability of the gears and drag washers on the Tatula platform. The tackletrap.com may have the gears that you need.
Last edited by toddmc on Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:06 pm

I always do the mark... Engineering pencil works a treat.

Im somewhat of the thought also that grease once worn in and contaminated with metallic substances off both gears surfaces are a noise reducer and further cutting paste for future wear.

Hence why sometimes opening up a well worn reel with visible gear wear and having done a clean and reassembly they don't feel right with new grease...

rto
Angler
Angler

Post by rto » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:13 pm

toddmc wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:34 pm
I don't think that you need to mark the gears. Although the gears are brass, I don't think that they are very durable. Also, you may have put the reel together incorrectly, causing an issue.
For what it's worth, I bought one of the first batch of Tatula Type-R reels. I hooked a catfish that was about 15 pounds on 12lb. Sniper throwing a squarebill. The fish took several long drag stripping runs before I got it out to deep water. Although I had caught several large bass on the reel between 7 and 8lbs. with no problem, the gears were horribly rough as a result of catching the catfish. I have never had a problem with other Daiwa baitcasters with brass gears. The drag washer on the main gear of the Tatula was also very brittle, to the point of crumbling. I put in a Carbontex washer with new gears. The reel is as smooth as ever. Maybe somebody with a heavily used fleet of Tatula's can speak to the durability of the gears and drag washers on the Tatula platform. The tackletrap.com may have the gears that you need.
No mistakes were made during reassembly, this time! :D Tackle Trap is sold out on the gear ratio I need.

rto
Angler
Angler

Post by rto » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:25 pm

Slazmo wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:06 pm
I always do the mark... Engineering pencil works a treat.

Im somewhat of the thought also that grease once worn in and contaminated with metallic substances off both gears surfaces are a noise reducer and further cutting paste for future wear.

Hence why sometimes opening up a well worn reel with visible gear wear and having done a clean and reassembly they don't feel right with new grease...
I suspected that a match mark might've been a good idea after the fact. Oh well. Live ''n learn. It'll be part of my routine going forward. I took the time to disassemble, index the pinion several times, then reassemble the reel. Pretty sure I found the sweet spot. It isn't as smooth as I recall, but far better than it was yesterday. That'll do for now. I even swapped out the roller clutch from another CT just in case, but nope. Once Daiwa has the gear back in stock I'll be set. Thanks for your affirmation of my suspicion.