RESUME

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

RESUME

Post by goldrod » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:54 pm

Show me yours and I'll see what mine can be

honestly Im being honest..
Im a bit confused as to what is *required and what is desired on a *civilian resume..
If you have any tips please send me a PM.

Thanks in advance
Goldie
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: RESUME

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:34 am

So, without going into a ton of detail...

Military experience can be very broad or very specific. There are certain "easy" things that transfer like supervision, accountability and such depending on rank and other factors. Depending on the rank, you can always throw logistics into the mix. How many times have you planned/coordinated food or fuel???

Specific things like MOS and such can still be applied in a general sense. IDC who they are, if someone is planning and resourcing major engineer projects, there are a lot of qualities/skills I can think of that cannot really go on paper but, I know they are still there.

Biggest thing is tailoring those broad/specific skills to the job. The civilian side isnt like you having an ERB/ORB, military bio, and a your last 3 evaluations. They want to see your skills directed to the job you are applying for. This can mean making a few different resumes and cover letters. Don't worry, once you have one built, it is pretty easy to use it as a shell. Make sure you save all of them for future use. That way, when you see a job posting, you can use the closest resume as a shell for the new job.

I can send you a copy of a resume and cover letter. PM your email.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: RESUME

Post by ss30378 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:59 am

What are you applying for?

I have a few different resumes that highlight different things depending on the position I'm after. I try to tailor my resume specifically to the job posting. If you are trying to get a government civilian or govt. contractor position there are key word lists embedded into the posting. A parsing program will be run against it and if your resume doesn't hit on enough of the key words it gets rejected automatically and will never even see human eyes.