Light braid

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Light braid

Post by goldrod » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:53 am

I had a chance to see a fellow TT. er use varvas braid and that stuff is simply amazing. I’m looking for something comparable but that I can readily get. I know you can get the varvas braid but honestly I haven’t tried to get any and I don’t know which one is what I am looking for.

I’m looking for 6lb mono equivalent braid that easy casting and wanted to know what you suggest.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Light braid

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:53 pm

Smackdown is pretty good. Too bad it has a tendency to easily break with lower lb tests.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:03 pm

Spiderwire Stealth Smooth 8 in 15# test. Its inexpensive, strong and smooth. Quiet thru the guides, too.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:17 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:53 pm
Smackdown is pretty good. Too bad it has a tendency to easily break with lower lb tests.
I've been using 15lb on my spinning rod for a few months now without any issues.

I do however like 10lb Pline TCB 8 in yellow a bit more.

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:19 am

Been using the Fins Windtamer 10lb. on my Abu LTX, good casting and not a lot of fuss.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:14 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:03 pm
Spiderwire Stealth Smooth 8 in 15# test. Its inexpensive, strong and smooth. Quiet thru the guides, too.
In light use I have used recent years only Spiderwire Stealth Smooth 8, 15 lbs & 24 lbs (? converted from kilo's). In my opinion it's very good line. Zero line breaks because of line. Line breaks has happened but issue was not line.

wilddog66
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wilddog66 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:13 pm

Been using Sunline Xplasma Asegai in 16lb on my Shakeyhead combo for a year now, very happy with it.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:24 pm

wilddog66 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:13 pm
Been using Sunline Xplasma Asegai in 16lb on my Shakeyhead combo for a year now, very happy with it.
Awesome braid, I also have some 16lb, I'm gonna try 8lb soon I think...

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:27 pm

Thanks all for the suggestions
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

barrys
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by barrys » Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:27 pm

I’m using the YGK G soul SS112. Absolutely the best braid I’ve ever used on a spinnng rod period and That includes Samurai. 16lb is perfect. Never had a wind knot and been using it for over a year now. Extremely smooth casting and do3snt have that wispy feel that I hate. No waxy feel at all.Only one problem is it’s very loud. For me it’s not an issue but may be for you.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:03 pm

barrys wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:27 pm
I’m using the YGK G soul SS112. Absolutely the best braid I’ve ever used on a spinnng rod period and That includes Samurai. 16lb is perfect. Never had a wind knot and been using it for over a year now. Extremely smooth casting and do3snt have that wispy feel that I hate. No waxy feel at all.Only one problem is it’s very loud. For me it’s not an issue but may be for you.
Thanks man.
I ended up with this xplamasa 16# and I’m using it on a PX68 with an airy red spool. I had one significant issue but I think it may have been self inflicted so I’m still tossing it around. It cast well and is silky silk silk. Jury is still out on it before I can make a sure determination. I’m interested in how your YGK G performs with casting equipment

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:43 am

I like and use spiderwire smooth 8 in 0.10 and 0.12 and it is very good. Also use ygk g soul egi metal in pe 0.4 and 0.6. Very good for very fine stuff but a bit noisier as it's a 4 strand.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:08 am

barrys wrote:
I agree. I've made the switch to YGK G-Soul 112 for my light braid applications and have been fishing their SS140 OHDRAGON some lately too. You have to fish that 112 to believe it on spinning tackle. I have not fished it on casting gear however. I've recommended this to a bunch of our customers and they've all bought more after using it.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

edwelch1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by edwelch1 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:58 am

bronzefly wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:08 am
barrys wrote:
I agree. I've made the switch to YGK G-Soul 112 for my light braid applications and have been fishing their SS140 OHDRAGON some lately too. You have to fish that 112 to believe it on spinning tackle. I have not fished it on casting gear however. I've recommended this to a bunch of our customers and they've all bought more after using it.
I tried out their similar Admix PE Slow Sinking braid this past summer and fell in love with it. It was the fourth line that I tried on my Tatula 1000, and I'm sold. First tried 6lb Maxima Chameleon (mono) because that's what I've always used on 2500-3000 size reels, but quickly found that it doesn't work well at all on 1000 size reels. Not wanting to go lighter in lb test with mono, I decided braided/"super" lines would be the way to go, and tried Nanofil. Wasn't a fan of that, so I tried Smackdown next. Liked that performance better, but couldn't see it worth a damn. Found the Admix PE Slow Sinking on Japan Tackle, and it solved the visibility issue due to the blue markings providing some contrast every meter of line. Performs great, and isn't nearly as wispy as other braids while still being super supple. That first spool is wearing very well and I don't expect to need to replace it for years to come, but I still went ahead and bought 2 more spools of it just to stock up. It's pricey, but well worth it.
www.blindjumperoutdoors.com

montey
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by montey » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:20 pm

I've been using original Power Pro for about 15 years in 8, 10, 15, and 40lb tests. I never have any issues with it.
I really like using 8 and 10lb PP with 8ln fluoro leaders for ned rigs and bitsy bug jigs. It's so thin and strong.
I don't go below 30lb on casting reels, which has about an 8lb mono thickness.