Best action for a jig rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Lobo
Angler
Angler

Best action for a jig rod

Post by Lobo » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:23 pm

I use to think fast tip was the way to go
But seen a few videos that suggests a moderate fast is a better way
Anybody have any experience with this , looking to get a designated jig rod
Fishing from shore by the way.

fishes
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Best action for a jig rod

Post by fishes » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:52 pm

I think it may be a bit of personal preference. I prefer a more mod fast taper for almost everything including jigs and Texas rigs.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:29 am

It tends to be highly preferencial. I would say that the line type matters too. Straight braid or FC will affect how the rod feels on the hookset. With braid I like a more moderate rod, with FC I prefer a faster action.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:38 am

I am finding that the longer and more powerful a rod is, the slower I want the taper to be. There are a lot of exceptions, but in general I feel like once a rod gets powerful enough to set a thick jig hook, I want a slower taper to help keep them on during the fight.

I also do most all of my fishing at pretty close range, a 30y cast is really bombing it out there for me. I might feel different if I was trying to make hook-sets super far out.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:08 am

In my experience, what a company describes an action as fast might be extra fast to another company. I've found that there is no true standard of measure shared by all companies when they designate the actions of their rods.

Generally speaking however, I prefer a fast action rod for almost all bottom contact presentations.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:36 am

I doesn’t matter a whole lot to me. I have fast, XF, and what I would say is a cross between fast and moderate fast. All 3 worked just fine. You just want to stay away from rods that are truly more moderate.

To me, an XF or fast will deliver a great hook set in deeper water or on a longer cast. The more moderate the rod the easier it is to keep ththe fish buttoned up or coming off.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:13 am

I agree with other comments.
When choosing my rod I consider many things...

Lure matters:
In general, I prefer F or XF rods for lures that I present slowly, often with single hooks, and with bottom contact such as most jigs. In contrast, for fast moving baits, often with treble hooks, I prefer M or MF rods.

Hook size/thickness matters:
A thick large hook need a more fast action rod and vice versa.

Line matters:
Braid suggest a slightly less Fast rod action.
Nylon or FC suggest a more Fast rod action.

Distance/waters matters:
If I cast far, eg inshore, I need a more Fast action rod (and/or braid) to set the hook from afar.
If I I pitch/flip or otherwise present my lure stealthly close by, eg small stream, I need a less Fast action rod (or Nylon/FC).

Target species matter:
Soft mouth/bone and less Fast action rod.
Hard mouth, eg pike, and more Fast action rod.

Other things matter but the above issues are most important to me...

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:41 pm

When a jig has heavy weight out in front of the hook point, it makes the jig easier for the fish to throw. I use a more moderate action when making long casts over a place like a long point or a ledge with a casting jig. The fish has a long time to get off in these situations, and a slower action will keep more fish pinned during the fight. The slower actions can also help keep fish pinned when you are punching in heavy vegetation. The faster actions come into play when you are roll casting at closer targets, and accuracy is at a premium. As was said already, heavier hooks and heavier cover demand heavier rods.
The length of the rod relates to the length of the cast needed, and how quickly you want to move the jig. I choose a longer rod when I want to stroke a jig or when I need to cast it a long way. You can get away with one jig rod for most situations (7' HF), but it is not the best tool for all situations.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:36 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:08 am
In my experience, what a company describes an action as fast might be extra fast to another company. I've found that there is no true standard of measure shared by all companies when they designate the actions of their rods.
x2

also deep water jigging to me is different then say pitching a jig into 3ft of water. Line makes a difference as well. FC guys need more speed and braid guys need a little less. As an example, I have a 2017 zbone xfast that with braid was too fast. I missed fish. Switched to FC and works great.

Lobo
Angler
Angler

Post by Lobo » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:15 pm

When a jig has heavy weight out in front of the hook point, it makes the jig easier for the fish to throw. I use a more moderate action when making long casts over a place like a long point or a ledge with a casting jig. The fish has a long time to get off in these situations, and a slower action will keep more fish pinned during the fight. The slower actions can also help keep fish pinned when you are punching in heavy vegetation. The faster actions come into play when you are roll casting at closer targets, and accuracy is at a premium. As was said already, heavier hooks and heavier cover demand heavier rods.
The length of the rod relates to the length of the cast needed, and how quickly you want to move the jig. I choose a longer rod when I want to stroke a jig or when I need to cast it a long way. You can get away with one jig rod for most situations (7' HF), but it is not the best tool for all situations.

That is what I am using now 7'HF it's a St. Croix Slop & Frog bought it used over the summer it has a nice tip, but I think a MH for me would be better .
I want to stick with with a 7' length, max 7' 2".
I was looking a a Legend Elite , but no such animal in that length with a moderate fast action, any ideas ?

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:16 am

Lobo wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:15 pm
That is what I am using now 7'HF it's a St. Croix Slop & Frog bought it used over the summer it has a nice tip, but I think a MH for me would be better .
I was looking a a Legend Elite , but no such animal in that length with a moderate fast action, any ideas ?
Daiwa usually has a few moderate/regular actions in heavy jig and worm rods across their line-ups, but I don't know about MH. I have a custom Phenix K2 715H that is 7'1" Heavy. The manufacturer claims that it is fast action, but it is much more moderate compared to a Loomis 844 blank. The RDA on the K2 715 is a bit too heavy for jigs under 3/8 oz. I would put a reel on whatever rod you want to buy and load it up to see if it is what you want. As has been said, the manufacturers are not all on the same page when it comes to rating rods.
I like a heavier hook on all of my jigs because I have had a few donkeys open up hooks. So, I lean towards the heavy rods. I would lean toward a little lighter hook and rod if I lived in smallmouth country.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:03 am

The FMJ might fit the bill for you. There are some MB models that are mod-fast or regular that would work.

Good351
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Good351 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:16 am

Lobo wrote:
Sounds like this an older model LTB from St Croix. If so, I had that rod and also did not like it at all. Felt really dead in my hand. If you are looking to stay in the St Croix brand and go up to the Legend Elite model, then the EC70MHF is the one to look at.. 7', MH, Fast. This would be a great jig rod imo.

Lobo
Angler
Angler

Post by Lobo » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:25 pm

Good351 wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:16 am
Lobo wrote:
Sounds like this an older model LTB from St Croix. If so, I had that rod and also did not like it at all. Felt really dead in my hand. If you are looking to stay in the St Croix brand and go up to the Legend Elite model, then the EC70MHF is the one to look at.. 7', MH, Fast. This would be a great jig rod imo.
Thank you
I really appreciate the help

vishus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vishus » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:05 pm

I like the Megabass FMJ...

I've had a couple of dozen jig rods over the years. I've found what I was looking for the first time I fished the FMJ.

DESCRIPTION
The Destroyer® FMJ harnesses the full potential of our proprietary Hybrid Graphite System and multi-axis construction, delivering a unique blend of sensitivity and power to take jig fishing to new heights.

FMJ transmits contact and composition in sharp clarity, Japanese carbon transmitting even the subtlest pickup bites and pecks. Showcasing a tip section designed with that perfect balance of stiffness/give to hop jigs out of danger of snags, FMJ is built to dominate the gnarliest structure, without sacrificing the ability to manipulate jigs with exact precision.

Powerful lower blank section puts control in your hands in and around structure, while FMJ’s flawless bend responds effortlessly to surging fish to keep hard-won bites pinned.

FMJ’s balance point is carefully calibrated to a palming grip, pivoting with the angler’s hand as the axis point. This reduces rod-work fatigue, while also positioning the angler to unleash fearsome hooksets at a moment’s notice.