Antares A Casting Reel

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Antares A Casting Reel

Post by goldrod » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:15 am

Anyone using this reel for weightless plastics?
Anyone have it paired on the new PA rods?

Thanks in advance
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Antares A Casting Reel

Post by goldrod » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:39 pm

I’m looking for performance casting 12-14 test floro
For flukes and senko style baits
How light can’t it go and do you feel that the line capacity is adequate?

After reading the review on TT.com
I wanted to ask those that have one if you've changed out the sideplate / spool bearings or just flushed them?
Shimano often times puts alot of grease in there reels and to achieve optimum performance you often have to flush and relube.
In any case, I was facing a huge dilemma and had to get one for my PA 6'11". i am taking the TDZ r+ off.

I'll see what the combo does or doesn't do but I think its better than buying another bantam or sv103xs.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Loafer
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Loafer » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:27 am

goldrod wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:15 am
goldrod wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:39 pm
Hello, Friend!
I used this reel for a 2019 season with Poison Adrena 1610M-2 rod, but fishing with hard lures: minnows and vibs. For these baits it very nice reel, casting far and very easily. BUT, cause a new spool (i think) i must turn on all 4 brakes with 14 Lb fluorocarbon. Spool capasity for this size of fluo 70-75 m. I see your another post "Steez CT TWS and Antares 70", unfortunately, i can compare Antares only with Steez SV TW, which i has.

Loafer
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Loafer » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:36 am

If you interested, i used 14 Lb Sunline and 15Lb cheap chinese flurocarbon (http://ali.pub/4b3gjp) with this reel.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:13 am

Loafer wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:27 am
goldrod wrote:
goldrod wrote:
Hello, Friend!
I used this reel for a 2019 season with Poison Adrena 1610M-2 rod, but fishing with hard lures: minnows and vibs. For these baits it very nice reel, casting far and very easily. BUT, cause a new spool (i think) i must turn on all 4 brakes with 14 Lb fluorocarbon. Spool capasity for this size of fluo 70-75 m. I see your another post "Steez CT TWS and Antares 70", unfortunately, i can compare Antares only with Steez SV TW, which i has.

Thanks For the information
I haven’t tried that line but I just may. I still have some Asegai line left but I’m totally spelling that wrong. Correct me if I’m wrong but that rod is not the current Poison Adrena./?
I’ve wanted this reel for some time and when I thought about it, it seemed to fit what I’m after more. I have only used the TDZ platform for hard moving baits and not really for jigs or soft plastics. So I figured this reel would give me the effortless casting of soft baits on 10 -12lb floro

It’s kinda a roll of the dice 🎲 with me as I really don’t want to change up any more combos especially since I’ve got this edge black widow and Pixy Type R dialed in with 8lb test for NedRigs with mono (totally unrelated but I’m extremely happy with that particular setup)

I’ve read where 4 brakes in the “on” position maybe necessary and I’m sure to find that out before trying to transition to braid.
Outside of soft plastics the only other thing that I’ll experiment with is pop max lures. I really don’t want to use it as a hard bait setup but at this point I’ll have to wait and see. I’ve used my PA for jerkbaits along side my expride and my custom rod and I didn’t like it. I’ve not caught a fish on it either.
Worst case it will end up as a senko or texas rig , jika rig setup for 5/16 or a tad over. Again I’m very appreciative of the feedback
I think I chose the lesser of two evils by buying this reel.

Loafer
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Loafer » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:06 am

goldrod wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:13 am
Correct me if I’m wrong but that rod is not the current Poison Adrena?
Hello, Friend!
You wrong, on pictures, that i shared, "new 2018" Poison Adrena. Its 1610M-2 model, you can read my review of this rod here: viewtopic.php?f=65&t=79504

About brakes: i had Metanium 13, Metanium 16 MGL reels and always use 2 brakes with fluorocarbon, but Antares with this setup is a little nervous. So, i put 4 brakes on and use external wheel.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:52 pm

Loafer wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:06 am
goldrod wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:13 am
Correct me if I’m wrong but that rod is not the current Poison Adrena?
Hello, Friend!
You wrong, on pictures, that i shared, "new 2018" Poison Adrena. Its 1610M-2 model, you can read my review of this rod here: viewtopic.php?f=65&t=79504

About brakes: i had Metanium 13, Metanium 16 MGL reels and always use 2 brakes with fluorocarbon, but Antares with this setup is a little nervous. So, i put 4 brakes on and use external wheel.
Thanks Sir
I see you have the two piece 6’10” and I have the 6’11” med plus
Thanks so much for the feedback. I look forward to the reel. I was wondering about the air stream custom reel in comparison because I initially considered the Antares 70 as a finesse reel but I heard some people actually pitch with it.
I haven’t brought a shimano reel in a while so this one has gotten me a little giddy.

fishes
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishes » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:22 pm

Loafer wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:27 am
goldrod wrote:
goldrod wrote:
Hello, Friend!

How is casting distance with that setup?

Loafer
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Loafer » Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:13 am

fishes wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:22 pm
How is casting distance with that setup?
Hello!
Rivers and lakes, where i fishing not so big, and i think distance with this combo for 14-18 g minnows is near 40 m. This allows me to cast the bait anywhere without any problems.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:09 pm

Got the reel in today
My daughter helped me get the contraband past the guards.
I heard about how heavy the reel is but I put it on my 6’11” medplus poison Adrena and I don’t notice the weight. 12lb floro is on the spool and sometime
This weekend I’ll go out with it

I will say that the two pair well together and feels very comfortable
I’m going to use this as a fluke setup initially. This rod had the backbone for it
But man the palming of this setup feels like your feet after you put in new insoles

Loafer
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Loafer » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:58 pm

goldrod wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:09 pm
Got the reel in today
I heard about how heavy the reel is but I put it on my 6’11” medplus poison Adrena and I don’t notice the weight.
Congratulations!
I think you will not be disappointed with the purchase. And, yes, weight of this reel is more that Metanium MGL, for example. But paired with good rod i dont feel this, i feel solid piece of metal and i like it!

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:26 am

Just took it for a spin to get it dialed in. The rod is just what I thought it would be with weightless flukes
Attachments
Image-1.jpg
Image-1.jpg (102.77 KiB) Viewed 9083 times

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:20 pm

Been in flux these past two weeks.
Got up early to go on the water and arrived but there was an FLW tournament and there wasn’t no where to park. It was crowded beyond imagination so I left and went some where else. Took this combo out and more questions than answer came about. At first I was thinking the spool wasn’t going to hold enough line now I’m looking for a shallower spool.

The reel is a casting beast but I used the combo with 120 dou realis and some other stuff. I’d like to know whose used the reel with braid? I am thinking about going in that direction

gefrank
Angler
Angler

Post by gefrank » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:32 pm

All my casting reels are premodded and preserviced with ZPI bearings and my prefer grease blend. They end up smooth cranking but with little resistance (spin for days on freeload) and i have 5 of such *reels all except for my Antares Mgl.

-*Reels -
Bantam MGL
14 Conquest
16 Zillion HLC
Zillion JDream
Abu BF8

The Antares has the fastest spool out of the box. It's stock bearings surpasses any after market bearings i've tried and i've been servicing quite alot of my mates reels.
Usually my brake settings are bear minimun
1 brake block on Svs or 1-4 on Magforce.
But the antares is a whole other demon, It's barely tamed at 2 brake blocks. still alot of potential.

The Antares MGL does NOT require Upgrading
Last edited by gefrank on Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:39 pm

gefrank wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:32 pm
All my casting reels are premodded and preserviced with ZPI bearings and my prefer grease blend. They end up smooth cranking but with little resistance (spin for days on freeload) and i have 5 of such *reels all except for my Antares Mgl.

-*Reels -
Bantam MGL
14 Conquest
16 Zillion HLC
Zillion JDream
Abu BF8

The Antares has the fastest spool out of the box. It's stock bearings surpasses any after market bearings i've tried and i've been servicing quite alot of my mates reels.
Usually my brake settings are bear minimun
1 brake block on Svs or 1-4 on Magforce.
But the antares is a whole other demon, It's barely tamed at 2 brake blocks. still alot of potential.

The Antares MGL does require Upgrading

I haven’t done anything to it and when it comes to the brakes I’m four on.
I’ve tried three but I’d be to intimidated to go beyond that unless I have sunline as a sponsor and tequila. I’ve dabbled with the idea of a shallow spool but it will probably be a while before any are out.

I would agree with what you said concerning the bearings. I haven’t changed mine out and I’m not planning on it.