Evergreen Rapid Gunner RSR

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
RISE
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Evergreen Rapid Gunner RSR

Post by RISE » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:19 pm

Cranky wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:48 am
Thanks RISE, I actually already ordered the Rapid Gunner HD, ironically enough! I’ll report back next week once I get some time on it.

I also use a XBD for frogs right now, great rod for that too.

Most of my fishing would be considered longer range and I really prefer those heavier power F/XF rods when possible. Can’t stand that *BOING* type hookset at the end of a long cast. Really looking forward to it.
Then you will enjoy this stick. Congrats on the purchase. 🤘🏼

RISE
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RISE » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:38 pm

domthewon wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:36 am
RISE wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:56 am
TKIC is the faster of the two, and that’s why I was asking just in case you were talking about the TKLC. You did mention 5 different baits (jigs, t-rigs, frogs, swim jigs, and 8/0 owner/swim bait), and that’s why I interpreted your statement as leaning towards “versatile”. Many people have different rods for those apps, myself included, but that’s just part of our “disease”...right?...😉

I have fished most of the rods I own, and there are many great options out there for what you are wanting to do, but if you prefer a true fast taper for everything you’ve mentioned, we can just keep this simple. Grab the Rapid Gunner, and enjoy! It will make long casts with the right reel/weight on it and it’s plenty sensitive. The 7011HRB and Oltre B70H will do it, but won’t like the 1.5oz upper end you’re mentioning, as much. The SS or RG will handle those weights and like the SS, the Steez/Oltre also have slower tapers than the RG. The Oltre is a different rod altogether, and the taper is more of a dual taper which is common these days in solid tip/separate tip builds to alleviate stress at the junction point where the main blank meets the tip section. The Steez also sports a slower taper but is more stout. It does a great job up close, but I’ve been underwhelmed by its long range performance. Still an awesome rod that’s fun to fish once you are dialed in on its strengths.
Little rant...this is just my experience, and we all have our own preference when it comes to what we like in a rod for any given technique/situation. No judgments here and TO EACH THEIR OWN.
I myself, prefer a slightly slower (med/fast) taper when I’m making close range pitches/short roll casts to heavy cover, but I will fish a slightly heavier powered stick when doing so to compensate for the slower taper. My reasoning?...an fast-exfast taper is great for those “thwack” hooksets, I agree, and trust me, I get it...but I prefer fast-exfast tapers for longer casts with more line out. At close range, while utilizing heavier line around cover and with less line out, you are stressing that fast/ex-fast blank out a great deal more on the hook set and definitely shortening the life/chancing failure of that blank. Aside from that, you also have a better chance of ripping a hook from a mouth. At close range, with heavier line, a slightly slower taper distributes the load more evenly throughout the blank and prolongs the rod’s life...not to mention, does a great job of keeping fish pinned.
You don’t see a ton of fast/ex-fast tapers when it comes to JDM offerings, aside from solid tips that usually have more of a “dual taper” to, as mentioned, alleviate stress at the junction point where that separate/solid tip section is integrated into the blank, and for good reason. Most of these builders/designers really know what they are doing, and if you look at rods like the X7 Amart 71 (pitching/flip)”, Super Rekkai, BJ Punch and Swimbait, Super Stallion, Steez RD 7011 HRB (touted as a jig rod), Zenaq B5-74, Sedition Hooligan and many others...you’ll notice that these rods all sport slower/unique tapers. Many of the rods I’m referring to are stated to do very well in heavy cover/grass/close/long range/pitching duties and that has been my experience with those and many other JDM sticks. That’s just my 2 cents.
If you’ve fished the Oltre B70H you’re probably familiar with its unique dual taper. It’s one of my absolute favorite sticks, period...but it’s not what I’d choose first, 2nd or 3rd if fishing close range, heavy cover. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve pitched/skipped/roll-casted jigs, t-rigged plastics and 6-7” senkos around some sparse-moderate brush/tulles and have a blast doing so, but there are other sticks I’d rather utilize for what you are describing (unless I’m misunderstanding you). When things get hairier and I’m int the 3/4-1.5oz range, I’m reaching for the X7 Amart 71, or something similar. The slower taper and power come into play very well, and again, that powerful, slower taper would also allow you toss some big single hook baits. Froggin...would be a different stick IMO as the Amart’s tip is just a bit too stout for working a frog properly. Also consider that some of these sticks will tap out before that 1.5oz slot. The Grand Cobra RS could also do very well as a multi-tasker in this “niche”, and is rated to handle much heavier weights than the 7011 and B70H. It’s stout, med-fast taper is powerful and sensitive as well, but again, not what you want for froggin.

That’s enough babbling on that...so back to the rod that this thread was about. The Rapid Gunner simply excels at heavy t-rigs, jigs, carolinas and would probably do well with a frog but I haven’t tried it as I absolutely love my XBD and Heartland 741HXHFB for those duties. Yes, It could also handle big single hook duties, and swim jigs. Plenty of power and that true fast taper does a great job of getting a hook into any fish’s jaw. Only question you have to answer for yourself is if you want to chance stressing a 7-800.00 rod out for close range, heavy cover duties. With that Quattro wrap running all the way up and around the T1100/Nanoalloy inner blank and ending 13.75” away from the tip, it’s very similar to a solid tip in design, and that’s something to consider IMHO, as those close range hook-sets will generate even more stress at that section where the wrap ends. Again, it WILL absolutely do what you are wanting it to do, and will load up beautifully with the weights you’ve mentioned, but just wanted to throw those “other things” out there for you to consider as I believe they are relevant.

Also...The Rapid Gunner HD (all double foot guides) might be a better fit and at least you know the guide train would be a bit more comfy with the heavier use.

In other words...just buy it...😆
Great info, and thought out purposes for different rod actions and tapers. It’s always cool to see how others use the same rods in different ways. Thanks.
🤜🏻💥🤛🏻
One of the things I’ve discovered over the years and make it a point to suggest, is to really try these sticks out with different techniques. I have found MANY rods can/will excel at techniques they weren’t originally even marketed for. Top of the line JDM offerings often mention versatility in their descriptions, and for good reason. I prefer to try many other techniques with rods, as I’ve been pleasantly surprised many times, and often end up dedicating a stick to one specific technique that I wasn’t even originally planning on utilizing it for prior to purchase.
Don’t let preconceived notions/manufacturer-suggested techniques keep you from experimenting with these rods when you get em. IMO, If you do, you’re potentially robbing yourself of a big chunk of fun. I see so many people sell off some outstanding sticks before they’ve even give them a fair shot.
Last edited by RISE on Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:23 pm

Agreed. I’ve always found it hard to compare rods for specific techniques, lots of ppl out there with all different preferences on what they use. I know what works for me though. Sometimes you gotta just bite the bullet and use it yourself to decide. I went with the HD partially for the increased guide diameter, I prefer that for presentations where you’re more apt to manage baits with some amount of controlled slack here and there. Feels like it helps the line “jump” more in my hands.

I’ll run the Rapid Gunner through the gambit and see how it shakes out. After bouncing around lots of rods from the typical high end rod brands, Evergreen really seems to speak to me in general, been very happy with them.

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:52 am

After a long wait (appeared to have a customs delay?) it’s scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Will post some initial review of power/action and should be able to get some good hours on it in the week ahead.

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:25 am

Finally got the Rapid Gunner HD yesterday. Was able to get a few hours fishing on it comparing directly to the identical rated TKIC Super Stallion. Fished the same line and baits on both rods to compare.

First off, I actually like the RG even more than anticipated. This IS the Evergreen rod I’ve been searching for to fit my power fishing style. It fishes like a USDM F/XF action and I’d compare the power to a 845 for those familiar with Gloomis. Balanced perfectly at the winding check with a Conquest 100. Supremely better balance than a XBD which I also had on hand to compare to.

I give the edge to the RG in sensitivity, even over the TKIC SS. It’s very impressive and right up there with NRX in my opinion. Very alive.

I was a bit nervous about true castability because reading the EG info on the rod it sounded like a completely rigid backbone and berry with only a very flexible tip. It’s not the case. Not at all. It loads and casts BEAUTIFULLY! Distance and accuracy were amazing with 0.5 to 1.5 oz baits I tried.

In USDM fashion it’s a powerful ultra ultra sensitive jig/plastic rod with a extra fast action. Doesn’t fish like most JDM jig rods of more moderate action. If you’re fishing guarded jigs, t-rigged plastics, bulky weedless Swimbait’s/swimjigs, frogs, etc... anything you want a stout hookset for... Id recommend it.

Definitely loving it so far.
Last edited by Cranky on Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:30 am

Also of interest, the RG and SS look nearly identical but the guide train on the SS is very evenly spaced down the blank. Whereas the RG starts much further apart and progressively bunch together much tighter toward the tip.

It was very visually different and immediately noticeable side by side.

Definitely a reflection of the XF action vs more moderate SS.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:15 pm

Cranky wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:30 am
Also of interest, the RG and SS look nearly identical but the guide train on the SS is very evenly spaced down the blank. Whereas the RG starts much further apart and progressively bunch together much tighter toward the tip.

It was very visually different and immediately noticeable side by side.

Definitely a reflection of the XF action vs more moderate SS.
Congrats on the new EG. As an FYI...we like PICTURES!

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:12 am

TT isn’t very convenient for posting pics because of the size restriction but when I get a bit more time I’ll get a few taken/posted.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:21 pm

Cranky wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:12 am
TT isn’t very convenient for posting pics because of the size restriction but when I get a bit more time I’ll get a few taken/posted.
Please please pictures
I do understand the pain of posting though.
So much information on the EG rods. I reached out to a rod builder and asked questions about what I read and I’m still reading. When I think I have the rod I’m looking for I find another.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:57 am

No problem, send me a PM and I can text some.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:49 am

I’m still hoping that a new (something longer than 7.1) might be released in the steez RD series in 2020. I have no reason to believe so, but just hoping. Otherwise, this rod is at the top of my wish list. I have an RS rod, so pretty much know what they look like, but more pictures do add to the fun. I understand this one has a different lock nut, etc. compared to RS. If you posted some here, I also would be grateful.

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:45 am

Adding a few pics.
Attachments
234FB5EB-3FFC-4D47-B1C4-1A07FE41B980.jpeg
234FB5EB-3FFC-4D47-B1C4-1A07FE41B980.jpeg (13.93 KiB) Viewed 5798 times
1E96D18F-6314-417B-B5D6-CBD8C11133D1.jpeg
1E96D18F-6314-417B-B5D6-CBD8C11133D1.jpeg (11.58 KiB) Viewed 5800 times
76FA256D-C35B-4A48-B4ED-0CB2E6F30BD9.jpeg
76FA256D-C35B-4A48-B4ED-0CB2E6F30BD9.jpeg (13.86 KiB) Viewed 5800 times
FA135296-54CD-4D04-92E0-C616C6787695.jpeg
FA135296-54CD-4D04-92E0-C616C6787695.jpeg (11.68 KiB) Viewed 5800 times
7DB4013A-7C92-4493-8AF4-2B057286683F.jpeg
7DB4013A-7C92-4493-8AF4-2B057286683F.jpeg (11.62 KiB) Viewed 5800 times

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:56 am

8-)
Attachments
66941F3F-655C-4571-BA6D-E6F68F755BC2.jpeg
66941F3F-655C-4571-BA6D-E6F68F755BC2.jpeg (54.29 KiB) Viewed 5793 times

Fran87
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Fran87 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:15 am

Is it well balanced with that reel??

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:17 pm

Balances beautifully, that’s only an 8oz reel.