1/64oz Rod Recommendation

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
MCROUT14
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

1/64oz Rod Recommendation

Post by MCROUT14 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:09 am

I usually only fish for trout once a year for our opening day here in PA and have used a St.Croix Triumph UL with few issues. I own several Megabass sticks for bass fishing and I feel the sensitivity is lacking in the St. Croix. The rod is very parabolic and I have a hard time detecting slack line bites- I would like something that isn't a "noodle" but isn't too stiff to throw those tiny jig heads accurately as there is usually a bunch of people fishing one hole. 75% of the time I throw the 1/64oz trout mags or a small split shot rig with live bait. I would like to stay around $100 but would consider going over.

Trout Assassin
Angler
Angler

Re: 1/64oz Rod Recommendation

Post by Trout Assassin » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:29 am

In that price range you might want to look at the Phenix Elixir series. They have a wide range of blanks and factory rods.

More sensitive than the St. C. but not in the same league as the premium priced models. Warranty coverage from Phenix has been good so far.

MCROUT14
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MCROUT14 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:56 am

Trout Assassin wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:29 am
In that price range you might want to look at the Phenix Elixir series. They have a wide range of blanks and factory rods.

More sensitive than the St. C. but not in the same league as the premium priced models. Warranty coverage from Phenix has been good so far.
I think that might be the winner, other guys describe their other models like the mirage as a noodly like I said in my post but it seems like the elixir has that back bone I was looking for so you can feel the "tick" on slack line. Another person said it casts 1/64 with no issues. Now I have to find a reel to match :-k

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:48 am

MCROUT14 wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:09 am
I usually only fish for trout once a year for our opening day here in PA and have used a St.Croix Triumph UL with few issues. I own several Megabass sticks for bass fishing and I feel the sensitivity is lacking in the St. Croix. The rod is very parabolic and I have a hard time detecting slack line bites- I would like something that isn't a "noodle" but isn't too stiff to throw those tiny jig heads accurately as there is usually a bunch of people fishing one hole. 75% of the time I throw the 1/64oz trout mags or a small split shot rig with live bait. I would like to stay around $100 but would consider going over.
I have around 2 dozen high end JDM UL rods. The first requirement when buying one is "Can it cast a Trout Magnet"? I have owned the Elixir. For less money you can get a rod out of Japan that is far superior to an Elixir. Take a look at the 2018 Major Craft Fine Tail Area Stage rods. I own the 6' 3" SUL and the sensitivity is on par with higher end JDM rods. It weighs only 1.9 ounces. I fish a lot.....3-5 days a week if the weather is not bad. Ninety percent of my fishing is done with a Trout Magnet. Sensitivity is paramount for me with a rod.....the Fine Tail certainly measures up. Here is a link to a video review I did.

Regards

https://youtu.be/XDo1FZLfwcg

Trout Assassin
Angler
Angler

Post by Trout Assassin » Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:19 pm

I agree if you are looking for an “area type” rod. These are typically short rods designed for small streams targeting tiny native trout. Casting distance is not a concern and actually detrimental at times. These rods tend to be on the fast side, but geared more towards small minnow jerkbaits or spoons that are twitched quickly in stream pools. The strikes tend to be stronger on these reaction baits compared to soft plastics.

However If you are urban fishing in more open areas (e.g. stocked lakes and ponds), a longer rod may be preferred. This is not just for case for trout magnets, but also trout jigs (aka crappie jigs, tube jigs, minijigs). I fish these baits with a slow retrieve while imparting a slow constant bouncing of the rod tip. This allows the jig to dart side to side.

In this case, I prefer a longer rod (up to 8ft.). The longer rod gives me casting distance, a flexible tip, and a medium fast taper for feel/hook-set. I feel the Phenix rods give me a good balance on these points, but I am sure there are others out there that can do the same.

Best of luck finding the right rod.

MCROUT14
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MCROUT14 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:46 am

Alphahawk wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:48 am
MCROUT14 wrote:
I have around 2 dozen high end JDM UL rods. The first requirement when buying one is "Can it cast a Trout Magnet"? I have owned the Elixir. For less money you can get a rod out of Japan that is far superior to an Elixir. Take a look at the 2018 Major Craft Fine Tail Area Stage rods. I own the 6' 3" SUL and the sensitivity is on par with higher end JDM rods. It weighs only 1.9 ounces. I fish a lot.....3-5 days a week if the weather is not bad. Ninety percent of my fishing is done with a Trout Magnet. Sensitivity is paramount for me with a rod.....the Fine Tail certainly measures up. Here is a link to a video review I did.

Regards

I really appreciate all this information as there is not much of it out there at all. How did you go about acquiring one? I found a few on Amazon and eBay but they seem to be just as much as the Elixir(which I'm ok with just want to make sure there's not something I'm missing). I also stumbled upon some Shimano rods with the same specs & a discounted price- have you had any experience with the Trout Rise or Trout One?

MCROUT14
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MCROUT14 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:53 am

Trout Assassin wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:19 pm
I agree if you are looking for an “area type” rod. These are typically short rods designed for small streams targeting tiny native trout. Casting distance is not a concern and actually detrimental at times. These rods tend to be on the fast side, but geared more towards small minnow jerkbaits or spoons that are twitched quickly in stream pools. The strikes tend to be stronger on these reaction baits compared to soft plastics.

However If you are urban fishing in more open areas (e.g. stocked lakes and ponds), a longer rod may be preferred. This is not just for case for trout magnets, but also trout jigs (aka crappie jigs, tube jigs, minijigs). I fish these baits with a slow retrieve while imparting a slow constant bouncing of the rod tip. This allows the jig to dart side to side.

In this case, I prefer a longer rod (up to 8ft.). The longer rod gives me casting distance, a flexible tip, and a medium fast taper for feel/hook-set. I feel the Phenix rods give me a good balance on these points, but I am sure there are others out there that can do the same.

The streams/creeks where I'm from are rather small and the type for native trout but unfortunately our summers are very hot and the water temperature doesn't seem to support natives. Each year they do a stocking so its usually 14"-16" fish with the occasional 20"+. I have tried longer rods but there are usually too many obstacles in the way(overhanging limbs or someone next to you). I would love to use a longer rod but it is just not a viable option. The rod I have now is definitely geared towards using jerkbaits/spoons and while they work- there is usually 7-10 lines in the same hole so using treble hook baits/fast-moving baits results in a lot of angry people around you. I really appreciate the info & will consider looking at longer rods as a backup.

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:03 am

Trout Assassin wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:19 pm

Area rods are typically longer a short area rod is considered around 5’10” and is a much softer rod typically designed for lake fishing where there is little current

Native or Headwaters rods are much shorter, as short as 3’8” can be common. Typically stiffer feeling but still capable of weights as low as 0.1g.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:18 am

MCROUT14 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:46 am
Alphahawk wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:48 am
MCROUT14 wrote:

Regards

I really appreciate all this information as there is not much of it out there at all. How did you go about acquiring one? I found a few on Amazon and eBay but they seem to be just as much as the Elixir(which I'm ok with just want to make sure there's not something I'm missing). I also stumbled upon some Shimano rods with the same specs & a discounted price- have you had any experience with the Trout Rise or Trout One?
I don't have any experience with the Shimano rods except I have researched them. The Trout Rise I would not even consider. The Trout One AS would not be a bad rod. Even though I have never held a Trout One I feel sure the 2018 Fine Tail is a more sensitive rod. Major Craft reworked the Fine Tail in 2018. I was reluctant to try the rod as I long ago decided I would only purchase the high end JDM rods. When you get used to the sensitivity of the high end JDM UL rods you find out real quick nothing else will do. I had purchased an Daiwa Iprimi area rod and and Palms Egeria area rod. While the rods were nice I was very disappointed in the sensitivity. After doing a lot of research I decided to try the 2018 Fine Tail FAX-632SUL. For the money I spent I was very impressed. Digitaka has them at $170 delivered.

Regards

https://www.digitaka.com/item.php?item=4560350821923

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:37 pm

Followed Alphahawk's advice a while back and bought the Major Craft Finetail area rod. Can't say enough good things about it. That said, there's a chance that any SUL rod may not fit MCROUT14's expectations. Compared to an UL from St. Croix I think an area rod, even one rated fast, is going to feel like a noodle. Especially to someone who mostly bass fishes. I still think the Finetail may be one of the best tools for the job but expectations would need to be adjusted.

Trout Assassin
Angler
Angler

Post by Trout Assassin » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:06 pm

Great point. When you can’t handle the rod yourself before buying, you always run that risk. The domestic rods may not measure up to the JDM models, but a local tackle shop might have stock you can handle to make up your mind.

If you are willing to take a chance on feel and warranty coverage then go for it. Not everybody is willing to take that risk though (if this was posted on the Enthusiast forum, maybe no issue). Worst case you can sell it on the Classified section if it is not what you expected.

P.S.
Most area lures are outfitted with single barbless hooks (even jerkbaits) so less of a snagging issue, but combat conditions in a crowded hole is already a mess waiting to happen.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:07 pm

Ill put in a recommendation for the new line of majorcraft days rods for what you are after. I have the 6'3" UL super fine solid tip rod and i have casted under a gram accurately. It has a nice backbone and the tip allows tiny baits to be thrown. Its less of a noodle than my UL avid rod and much less of a noodle than my mirage trout rod.

I have it paired with a 15 exist 2003 and its a great trout and all around UL combo.

Rod was around $140 shipped and is a 1 piece model

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:29 pm

ss30378 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:07 pm
Ill put in a recommendation for the new line of majorcraft days rods for what you are after. I have the 6'3" UL super fine solid tip rod and i have casted under a gram accurately. It has a nice backbone and the tip allows tiny baits to be thrown. Its less of a noodle than my UL avid rod and much less of a noodle than my mirage trout rod.

I have it paired with a 15 exist 2003 and its a great trout and all around UL combo.

Have you used the majorcraft finetail area rod alphahawk mentioned? If so how does the days rod compare?

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:11 pm

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:29 pm
ss30378 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:07 pm

Have you used the majorcraft finetail area rod alphahawk mentioned? If so how does the days rod compare?
I have not, but by all accounts the finetail is a very nice rod. I would assume the days has a bit more backbone since its marketed as a bass rod while the finetail is a trout rod.