Scorpion MGL

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
fishballer06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Scorpion MGL

Post by fishballer06 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:49 am

If those are the size of the fish he's catching on it, I'm not surprised.

I've been running mine all season, including an 8 day trip to Canada, and a few weekend long trips on Erie. I've got 0 issues with mine.

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:03 am

I think you would need a least a tranx 300 or 400 for barramundi. They work well for snook here in FL.

bronzebacks
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bronzebacks » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:33 am

Slazmo wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:23 pm
Didn't take long for one over here to go buzzy...

Not sure what ratio but the brass gears gone already after a couple handfuls of fish...
The curado 70' s did this i have. Love the profile and smoothness new. After throwing ristance baits like chatterbaits and a few big fish 2 got very geary

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:45 am

johnD wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:03 am
I think you would need a least a tranx 300 or 400 for barramundi. They work well for snook here in FL.
I agree that your reel are undersized/outgunned for those bigger fish.
We have big stripers here in NoCal, and I never use my bass gear if I'm fishing for them, or I'll get my heart and gear broken.
A heavy swimbait rod with a good 300 series reel is a must.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:25 am

Really makes me wonder what people are doing to their reels to cause this. I use nothing but 50 sized reels in the salt and catch plenty of big fish(jacks, striper, redfish) and never have an issue with my gear. My Stiles are based on Curado 70, with brass gears from a 70, and they have been bulletproof. Never felt the buzz that is so prevalent on here. My guess is that people are freaking out and using the reel to try to crank big fish in instead of using the rod and drag correctly. Use the rod to move the fish, and use the reel to take up line, especially with big fish.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:07 am

JBcrankaddict wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:25 am
Really makes me wonder what people are doing to their reels to cause this. I use nothing but 50 sized reels in the salt and catch plenty of big fish(jacks, striper, redfish) and never have an issue with my gear. My Stiles are based on Curado 70, with brass gears from a 70, and they have been bulletproof. Never felt the buzz that is so prevalent on here. My guess is that people are freaking out and using the reel to try to crank big fish in instead of using the rod and drag correctly. Use the rod to move the fish, and use the reel to take up line, especially with big fish.
BINGO!
<")))><{

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:01 pm

JBcrankaddict wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:25 am
We've got a winner 🥇

Also not enough thumb to control the spool these days. People just rely on the drag full time and the pressure from the spool to pinion and that between the main gear mesh with high drag can and will do damage to the gears.

DaisyZillion
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DaisyZillion » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:53 am

Well I have just read the biggest load of cods wallop I have heard in years, that is a picture of myself with that Barramundi, I have owned fleets of Middle to high end Shimano, Daiwa and Abu baitcasters over the last 30 years all used for saltwater Barra and this reel was the quickest to fail gear wise, Curado Ks have had similar failures according to other mates who use them. I have a bunch of OG zillions, Megabass IP68, a Steez A, a Revo Beast and Revo PRM plus other baitcasting reels all of which have done more work than the Scorpion and are still going strong and smooth.

DaisyZillion
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DaisyZillion » Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:02 am

I guess I should add that many of the other reels I have owned are of the Scorpion quality ie plastic side plates such as the Tatula ct and many of the older Curados. It’s not my first rodeo so pump and wind and judicious thumb pressure are all part of my repertoire, as with all Barra fishermen low rod angles and good steady pressure sees the fish knocked over in good time and good condition for release. The Scorpion’s Gear has worn very quickly, not even lasting a season where the Tats and older Curados lasted many seasons and were only sold due to upgrading, I do believe smaller gear teeth does have advantages in drive and smoothness but the smaller the teeth the more critical the alignment, Micro module gearing and plastic side plates are a combination for this exact issue. You don’t hear the new Ryoga having buzzing issues, yet, but we shall see.

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:27 pm

DaisyZillion wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:02 am
I guess I should add that many of the other reels I have owned are of the Scorpion quality ie plastic side plates such as the Tatula ct and many of the older Curados. It’s not my first rodeo so pump and wind and judicious thumb pressure are all part of my repertoire, as with all Barra fishermen low rod angles and good steady pressure sees the fish knocked over in good time and good condition for release. The Scorpion’s Gear has worn very quickly, not even lasting a season where the Tats and older Curados lasted many seasons and were only sold due to upgrading, I do believe smaller gear teeth does have advantages in drive and smoothness but the smaller the teeth the more critical the alignment, Micro module gearing and plastic side plates are a combination for this exact issue. You don’t hear the new Ryoga having buzzing issues, yet, but we shall see.
The Ryoga should hold up well. I know a guy doing commercial saltwater work with a few of the bay jigging models.

DaisyZillion
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DaisyZillion » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:11 pm

johnD wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:27 pm
DaisyZillion wrote:
The Ryoga should hold up well. I know a guy doing commercial saltwater work with a few of the bay jigging models.
I am fairly certain they will be fine too, the Ryoga is a solid reel, much the same as micro gearing in say an Antares or Calcutta.

Sore Thumb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Sore Thumb » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:56 pm

johnD wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:27 pm
DaisyZillion wrote:
Pretty sure the Bay Jigging model has a much heavier duty gear box than Pluton/Ryoge reels.

lil_man72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lil_man72 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:24 am

Does anyone know if you can get a metal replacement worm drive for the level wind.. I just picked up a k and planned on getting a scorpoin mgl or 2 but I can definitely feel some resistance when reeling. . I know it's a new reel but I've been doubting this plastic peice since I found out that's what it was..