Curado 70 discontinued?

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Re: Curado 70 discontinued?

Post by Bantam1 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:18 am

The SLX is a larger reel with a larger spool. Yes the JDM version has a shallow spool. The shallow spool thing is what's popular in Japan. In the US a majority of anglers do not want shallow spools. Yes the SLX is small based on our older model reels. It is not designed as a finesse reel. Japan decided to change the spool to make it more applicable for their market. Here is the US, we made it a 150 to give it more line capacity.

The 70 is more of a finesse reel. Smaller diameter spool, smaller frame, lighter, etc. The Curado also has X-Ship, SVS Infinity braking, cross carbon drag washers, more bearings... The only things the Curado 70 and SLX have in common is that they are made by us and are low profile reels. They were designed with different applications in mind. SLX for general purpose at an affordable price point. The Curado was made for the inshore anglers in Texas and finesse type applications in the bass world. Can the 70 be used for other applications? Sure. Is it ideal for dragging a Carolina rig with a 1 ounce weight? No. Can the SLX be used as a finesse reel? Maybe. 1/4 ounce is about the lightest I can cast with it and the distance isn't there. It's simply due to the larger diameter spool and more weight once it is full of line.

I will use the Aldebaran as an example. In Japan it has a shallow spool that is a 30 size based on our common line capacity numbers. Here in the US it is a 50 size. A little more line because most anglers are not using 4# FC or 8-10# braided line on baitcast reels. This is why there will always be different products for the US and Japan. They may have the same basic tooling, but there will more than likely be differences in the spools at a minimum. Different markets with different requirements will mean different products.

Hopefully that makes more sense. I don't know another way to describe the differences between the two reels and the applications in mind when the reels were designed.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:06 am

Nevermind, Im talking about Shimano bringing the SLX MGL to the states and basically wiping the need for the CU70/71, and you keep telling me the difference of the 150 and the CU70/71. So neither one of us are understanding each other. I know you are more of a USDM person. But, if Shimano USA brought the SLX MGL (like they have been bringing soo many of the JDM names/reels), we wouldnt need the CU70/71. Since both have the SVS Infinity (XT and MGL), the difference is what? A dual bearing supported pinion? Not exactly a game changer to the average joe. The SLX is also more comfortable to fish IMO. As with the casting weights, I had a regular SLX casting 1/8oz with 15lb braid quite well. That little bugger was impressive, and I sold it off to a friend who was even more impressed with it. Its OK, American Legacy has the XT and SLX rod on sale for $149.95 combo. So I got that coming to tune up, since thats got the SVS Infinity brakes.
<")))><{

bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bwjay » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:40 am

The SLX XT is pretty well positioned as a Curado 70 killer if you don't need to throw light baits. With a shallow spool, making it like an SLX MGL, you can get almost all the way there. I don't think Shimano would have made the SLX and its variants the way they did unless they had a plan for the Curado. The Curado is a bit of a hard sell for me given the SLX XT but I would expect quality to be higher for the Curado with maybe a little more smoothness. But it seems like a small gain.

So, it does seem like a revamped Curado 70 would make sense, with something to set it apart, in their USDM lineup. I can see the SLX MGL staying in Japan in that case. But it could also just be that they ARE phasing out the Curado 70 (whether or not they bring the SLX MGL to USDM).

Either way I look forward to the Japan Fishing Show and seeing if Shimano graces us with shiny new baitcasters. :)

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:15 pm

Shimano just needs to use it's power to sell a bait casting ice fishing set up. \:D/

The SLX with a shallow MGL spool and a shorty 32" - 36" Medium Light or even a Light bait casting set up.

Since we ain't casting anything, it just needs maybe some magnetic brakes or maybe none at all.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:11 pm

I saw a comment from "someone in the know" that there will not be any new 50 or 70 size reels in 2020.

cumara
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cumara » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:39 am

That is sad news if accurate.
joekaz wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:11 pm
I saw a comment from "someone in the know" that there will not be any new 50 or 70 size reels in 2020.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:49 am

There are some cool products coming next year...I think some people will be happy.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:52 am

Bantam1 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:49 am
There are some cool products coming next year...I think some people will be happy.
Even ice fishing stuff? :big grin:

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:07 am

I don't think there are new ice fishing products. If that was the case we would have released them by now for the ice fishing season.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:10 pm

Bantam1 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:07 am
I don't think there are new ice fishing products. If that was the case we would have released them by now for the ice fishing season.
Well the clearance CU70 is about the best ice fishing bait casting reel in application for the price. I understand there's no target market for it, except for me. :big grin:

Would love to see Shimano hit the bait casting rods for ice fishing or even start providing high end ice fishing spinning rods. There seems to be a growing market in there just within the last few years.