Anyone using Lew's Speed Stick Lite HM85 7'3" MH Hammer?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Anyone using Lew's Speed Stick Lite HM85 7'3" MH Hammer?

Post by new2BC4bass » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:40 am

I've posted this on two other forums. No reply in either. I know this forum will probably produce the same results...none...as the vast majority of people here fish much higher end gear. But....here goes anyway.

The Lew's Speed Stick Lite HM85 7'3" MH Hammer has me curious. A MHF rated for 1/4-5/8 oz. is a typical MF for me. However, the 10-25 lb. line rating is definitely MH territory. Is the lure rating true weights or weight of.....say a jig minus trailer, hook, etc.? In other words, capable of handling 7/8-1 oz.?

My experience with Lew's rods is zero. Would love to hear from users. What do you use the rod for? What weights do you feel should be used with this rod? I've read sensitivity on the HM85 line is quite good. Do you concur?

Appreciate any information.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Anyone using Lew's Speed Stick Lite HM85 7'3" MH Hammer?

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:32 am

I had that exact rod, but sold it. It is a MH rod, easily capable of 3/4 oz and more. It was a little tip-heavy for me, so I sold it.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:19 am

Thanks Tim. I don't think I need another MH rod. :mrgreen:

Figured from the line rating that MH would be closer than Medium. Out of curiosity how did you find the sensitivity?

EDIT: Did a count. Don't need another Medium either. I could use another 10 ML and 20 H to even things out, tho. :whistle:

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:27 pm

Sensitivity is good, but not as good as the retail price suggests. Not bad rods, if you can find them a good bit under retail. I have one other gripe about Lews rods-I just dont like a split reel seat. Those particular seats are not too bad if the blank is thick where the seat mounts, though.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:53 pm

Thanks. Rod is no longer an option.

jte54
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jte54 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:04 pm

It's designed for skipping jigs around 3/8 to 1/2oz. Around docks and etc. The softness of the rod is to absorb shock of harder hook sets and to assist in skipping baits. Has kind of a regular taper. I've fished this rod many times and I like the sensitivity but to me 3/4 oz. Football jig maxes it out. Also works great for larger top water and big spinnerbaits.