St. Croix Legend Elite

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
The Pond King
Angler
Angler

St. Croix Legend Elite

Post by The Pond King » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:19 pm

Hi guys,

I really want to thank you last time for the feedback you guys provided me. It really helped with my buying decisions.

Unfortunately, the gear monkey is back again, and I can’t shake him off.

I’ve read a really good article on TackleTour on the St. Croix Legend Elite 7’ medium power fast action casting rod giving it a stellar review found here: http://www.tackletour.com/reviewstcroix ... c70mf.html.

I know that the review found on that article is pretty in-depth and goes into a lot of detail, and I know that it is given by a credible source. However, I want to hear some reviews by the members here as well. I’ve scoured a lot of sites to see user reviews and did not find much. There were only three reviews on TackleWarehouse. If any of you own the latest rendition of the St. Croix Legend Elite of any model in the line, I’d love to hear from you.

I already own a good amount of St. Croix rods, and I’m well aware that their build quality is superb. However, I’m really curious how the latest Legend Elite’s sensitivity compares to the equivalent G. Loomis rods. I’ve heard that the sensitivity isn’t quite on par with NRX. People say it’s more in between the IMX and GLX in terms of sensitivity. For reference, I own latest GLX rods, and I actually own the previous model St. Croix Legend Elite rods albeit two piece salmon steelhead rods. Not saying it’s not sensitive, but I don’t think the Legend Elite rods come anywhere close to how sensitive as my GLX rods are. However, at the same time, I don’t think it’s a fair comparison because they are two piece rods, so it’s not an apples to apples comparison.

Secondly, I’m also interested in getting a new spinning rod as well. There was another really good article on TackleTour that also gave stellar reviews of their 7’ MLF spinning rod: http://www.tackletour.com/reviewstcroixles70mlf.html. Can this rod a hold a candle to the Conquest 842 SJR? How is the power on this rod as I know St. Croix runs a little heavier that what they rate. Is it closer to a medium or is it a true medium light? Any user input on this rod would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
The Pond King

falcon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: St. Croix Legend Elite

Post by falcon » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:21 am

I have a custom sc5mf and it’s an amazing blank and very capable. I was even skipping docks with it. It won’t be as sensitive as a loomis but you won’t miss anything it just has a different transmission of sensitivity. I also have 3 sc5 custom spinning rods one 76ml and 2 76m. Their my favorite spinning rods even sold my nrx in favor of them.
Legend Alpha 211/Merc 250 Pro XS

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:37 am

I have custom 5C70MF-G as well. It's very nice rod for deeper water perch fishing and shallow water zander fishing. I mostly cast jigs with it, but cranks goes well too. Sensitivity is good but best of this blank is it's casting abilities. Very nice and easy to cast with it. One of my favorites. Absolutely.

jrk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jrk » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:42 am

Build quality is insane. I've recently purchased a Heavy 8'6 Legend X casting, and in my opinion, one of the nicest production rods made. Casting ability is incredible, and agree with previous poster...I've always enjoyed throwing a St. Croix from a sheer casting perspective over my GLX rods. Sensitivity is fantastic...dont' feel much difference between this and any of my GLX rods. I've no experience with the newer Conquest, but my brother jumped into the NRX series a while back. Sensitive as well, but neither of use has been impressed with the build quality when compared to other offerings we've experienced. This is probably just our findings as others I assume feel differently.
I will add that the only knock I find with the Legend X, and possibly the latest Legend Elite offering, is St. Croix's use of the small guide train. Fantastic guides, ones I've often had put on my custom inshore and shore rods, but to d*** small for my love of braid to leader style of fishing in both environments. If they ran at least 5's down to tip instead of the 4's, I'd not be making this comment.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:04 pm

St. Croix Legend Elite was my first expensive rod I bought into. I went from their Premiere to Avid then Legend Elite.

I have the old brown blank and reel seats ones when I first got it.

The Legend Elite has always been a straight multi purpose rod for me. I use it for anything. For myself the one thing that I appreciate it better than most other rods I've used it the ability of the Legend Elite to control fish in my hands. I just simply did not need to look for anything beyond that feel.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DrTrevorkian » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:10 am

I have owned many NRX, GLX (walleye series, trout series, and centerpin), IMX (steelhead models only), and fiber blend models (walleye series, trout series, musky series, salmon series, and steelhead series). I have yet to fish the newer GLX bass rods, though.

My opinion is the SC Legend Elite rods are squarely on par with the GLX models I have fished. That’s with full RECoils on all those GLX models, which I think is about the most sensitive guide train you can fish. I would venture my conjecture that if you were to slap a full RECoil guide set on a SCV blank like the old Xtreme series used to be, they would be slightly more sensitive than GLX’s w/SiC guides. Totally my conjecture there, though.

NRX is in a league of its own, in terms of sensitivity. I just couldn’t stand the builds. The Legend Elite models prior to current are my favorite ergonomically and that is what I’m fishing these days. If I could put the previous model handle on the current builds with the Torzites, and yes upsize the tip to sz. 5’s, freeze-up for me, they would be perfect.

I personally do not think you can miss a subtle take using a SC Legend Elite instead of a NRX or GLX. I will say, they all do transmit differently. NRX is way different, but in a good / interesting way. I find the Legend Elite line up more versatile across the line-up as well, but I gravitate more to the walleye / pike end of the multi-species spectrum with these rods.

I really like SC’s various blank tapers for Walleye, Bass, Pike, etc., including their 8’-6” various Salmon/Steelhead blanks, but for pike/light musky applications. I much prefer G.Loomis’ blank tapers for Salmon and Steelhead applications. Funny how those play specifically to the wheelhouses’ of each manufacturer...

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:33 pm

falcon wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:21 am
...I also have 3 sc5 custom spinning rods one 76ml and 2 76m. Their my favorite spinning rods even sold my nrx in favor of them.
Good taste sir. Those two blanks cover so very much of what I adore doing for my smallies (except top water). I’ve got no reason to look elsewhere for my smallie endeavors “for feel” and they’re the only fish I pursue. Paired with a couple Stella FJ’s and a couple Exsence I’m happy. It’s all in the hands of the user of course.

I did the same getting rid of my top end spin fleet in favor of them. I’m done searching. Life’s good.
Team flannel, overtime and promotion.