Bfs rod questions

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Bfs rod questions

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:12 pm

Ive got the major craft msx ul now and I really like it but I'm looking for one more rod that is more of a trout rod or slower action.

From what I've been reading it sounds like the kuying Teton 662 is a really good option, I'm just not sure about the Teton L vs UL action.

I really like the major craft msx rod and wouldn't mind getting a finetail area rod. How is the action on the L or UL finetail vs the Teton?

Any other rods under $200 similar to the finetail or Teton line I should look into?

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Bfs rod questions

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:12 pm

Anyone have or try the St Croix mojo bass inshore 7' Light rod? If so, How light were you able to cast?

If anyone has had both the mojo bass and the kuying Teton 662L how do they compare?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:25 am

The Majorcraft trout rods are amazing by all accounts. The Tetons are great budget sticks. You normally don't cross shop the two. The Ultralight section of the board has a lot of info on trout BFS sticks. I would head over there.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:53 pm

LowRange wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:25 am
The Majorcraft trout rods are amazing by all accounts. The Tetons are great budget sticks. You normally don't cross shop the two. The Ultralight section of the board has a lot of info on trout BFS sticks. I would head over there.
Thanks. I want the majorcraft but see so much about the teton being recommended. Don't want to spend 3x as much if it isn't what I'm looking for, I'm having a little trouble finding reviews on them.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:13 pm

The Finetail comes in both "area" and "stream" types. This topic on JDM UL rods for trout is a good read. The Teton is a great budget stick to test the waters with or use a beater stick but it is no Majorcraft. Finetails are excellent trout rods.
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=79736
Finetail review:
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=82337&p=661839#p661839

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:25 pm

Being nitpicky here but steam and area trout casting rods are not BFS. There is a reason the Finetail is not the "Finetail BFS". BFS rods are bass rods and are built completely different from trout rods. BFS rods have much more power and backbone for targeting bass in cover with light baits.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:14 pm

LowRange wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:25 pm
Being nitpicky here but steam and area trout casting rods are not BFS. There is a reason the Finetail is not the "Finetail BFS". BFS rods are bass rods and are built completely different from trout rods. BFS rods have much more power and backbone for targeting bass in cover with light baits.
Very true. BFS rods are meant to cast the bass baits one would typically use a spinning rod for.
This is the way.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:26 pm

LowRange wrote:
Thanks for the explanation. I guess I'm looking for an ultra light rod not necessarily a bfs rod. Something kind of in between a trout rod and a bfs rod (probably just need two different setups). I have a bfs rod and I'm looking for a second setup that is a little more moderate or parabolic for use with trout or crappie but the possibility of smaller bass (so not a complete noodle but more of a noodle than a true bfs rod)

Anyway, I appreciate the explanation.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:44 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:14 pm
LowRange wrote:
Very true. BFS rods are meant to cast the bass baits one would typically use a spinning rod for.
Yeah, I guess I'm kinda lumping trout rods and bass rods together for some reason. I guess I'm looking for a trout rod that can throw light baits but isn't a complete noodle, but more moderate/parabolic than a true bfs rod.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:01 pm

I found this on one of the fine tail rods I was looking at but I have no idea what he is saying.

https://youtu.be/MucyuFmJXZs

prybis
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by prybis » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:04 am

I know that BFS started off for bass fishing but has since been spun off for trout fishing. Now you can find Bass BFS rods and Trout BFS rods. The same came be said for the spools from my understanding. Instead of looking for a BFS rod try searching for the size and weight of the lure you are trying to cast.
Mike P.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:20 am

prybis wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:04 am
I know that BFS started off for bass fishing but has since been spun off for trout fishing. Now you can find Bass BFS rods and Trout BFS rods. The same came be said for the spools from my understanding. Instead of looking for a BFS rod try searching for the size and weight of the lure you are trying to cast.
Also, keep in mind that in general, if 2 rods have the same ratings, length and such but, one is labeled Bass and the other Trout (area or whatever), the trout will be a little softer in action.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:02 am

prybis wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:04 am
I've never seen a trout casting rod with BFS labeling on it. BFS is usually reserved for bass gear.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:45 am

LowRange wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:02 am
I've never seen a trout casting rod with BFS labeling on it. BFS is usually reserved for bass gear.
Kuying Teton SUL, UL (and L) are trout, or rainbow trout, stream fishing BFS rods. Those really are not intended for perch, walley (zander?) or pike. And because of that I can say that those are not for bass.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:00 pm

jvelth74 wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:45 am
LowRange wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:02 am
Kuying Teton SUL, UL (and L) are trout, or rainbow trout, stream fishing BFS rods. Those really are not intended for perch, walley (zander?) or pike. And because of that I can say that those are not for bass.
There are no BFS markings on the Teton. Tetons are more of a stream or area type trout rods. BFS rods differ from other light and UL powered casting rods in that they have much more backbone and power than other UL casting rods. There is a reason why Majorcraft does not label their Finetail trout rods as BFS but they do with their bass rods.
Last edited by LowRange on Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.