Stradic CI4+ or Soare CI4+?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Rusty Shackelford
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Stradic CI4+ or Soare CI4+?

Post by Rusty Shackelford » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:53 am

I will be putting this reel on a 5' G. Loomis IMX rod (SR6010 IMX) for use on small trout streams with 6lb Sufix 832 and a 4lb fluoro leader. I have never purchased an expensive reel before, I have been using Pflueger Presidents in size 20 for years but am looking to upgrade to something smoother that holds up better and is serviceable. I prefer not to work on my own equipment since I am not very good at it. I had definitely planned to get a Stradic CI4+ 1000 and then just send it in for service when it needed it, it was my choice because it was the highest quality reel in my price range that seemed like it would fit my needs and comes highly recommended. I recently came across the Soare CI4+ and saw that it comes in the 500 size and even better with a shallow spool and is much more suited to my needs all the way around. It is hard to find info on them however and the only image I was able to see of the inside of one was a blurry YT vid but the 500s model didn't appear to be run by a worm gear like the larger models but I could be mistaken. Is there any way to have one of the Soare serviced when it eventually needs it and will it cost a lot more than going with USDM? I don't mind paying a bit more to have things more convenient or better so long as it doesn't go too far. Please share your thoughts and opinions, I am quite out of my depth here and could use some help.

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Stradic CI4+ or Soare CI4+?

Post by Knotty » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:16 pm

Good question about getting a JDM reel serviced in the US. Hope someone chimes in.

I"m not a fan of 500 size reels due to the slower line takeup and additional line twist. Weights of the 1000 size are already very low for the models you"re considering. Can you get a 1000 Soare with a shallow spool? I have a Stradic CI4+ in that size but IMHO the reel holds too much line for UL use, especially on streams. Using backing is a major hassle with very light line since the main line eventually starts snagging on the backing to main knot.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:24 pm

I have a Ci4+ 1000 and have used it for most of my wading over the last 2-3 years. It’s not had an easy life but it has held up great despite a few dunkings a year.

It does hold too much line, but I use plumbers tape to fill up the spool and don’t have to deal with a backer knot.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:07 pm

Shimano...nor Daiwa USA service JDM reels but there a lot of folks out there who do.....and at reasonable price.

Regards

Rusty Shackelford
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Rusty Shackelford » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:18 pm

Knotty wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:16 pm
Good question about getting a JDM reel serviced in the US. Hope someone chimes in.

I"m not a fan of 500 size reels due to the slower line takeup and additional line twist. Weights of the 1000 size are already very low for the models you"re considering. Can you get a 1000 Soare with a shallow spool? I have a Stradic CI4+ in that size but IMHO the reel holds too much line for UL use, especially on streams. Using backing is a major hassle with very light line since the main line eventually starts snagging on the backing to main knot.
No, the Soare goes from 500S to 2000SHG skipping 1000 and the 500S retrieval rate is 27" vs 31" for the Stradic 1000.

ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ogrich31 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:13 pm

I've owned both. The Stradic CI4+ is a smoother and a more powerful reel, especially under load. But the weight savings with the Soare CI4+ is noticeable. I would choose the Soare over the Stradic because of the line capacity, but I'd choose a shallow spool Stradic CI4+ (JDM) over both.

Plenty of guys out there who do great reel service. I'd go with one of the sponsors or reel service people instead of a tackle shop. Tackle shops, at least the bigger ones, get so many reels that they don't have the time to break every piece down. It takes a bit of time to throughly clean every piece on a reel, and it doesn't make sense to do that when you're getting paid per reel and have hundreds of reels per month. The good part with tackle shops is that some guys just replace most of the bearings and write it under warranty, although a JDM reel might not qualify for this.

Rusty Shackelford
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Rusty Shackelford » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:24 am

ogrich31 wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:13 pm
I've owned both. The Stradic CI4+ is a smoother and a more powerful reel, especially under load. But the weight savings with the Soare CI4+ is noticeable. I would choose the Soare over the Stradic because of the line capacity, but I'd choose a shallow spool Stradic CI4+ (JDM) over both.

Plenty of guys out there who do great reel service. I'd go with one of the sponsors or reel service people instead of a tackle shop. Tackle shops, at least the bigger ones, get so many reels that they don't have the time to break every piece down. It takes a bit of time to throughly clean every piece on a reel, and it doesn't make sense to do that when you're getting paid per reel and have hundreds of reels per month. The good part with tackle shops is that some guys just replace most of the bearings and write it under warranty, although a JDM reel might not qualify for this.
I was wondering if it would have as smooth of a reel as the other models Shimano makes that utilize a worm gear gather than the older style locomotion gear they put in the 500s. I really like the idea of a shallow spool rather than using backing of any kind but I don't know if it's worth giving up my warranty and the option to send my reel to Shimano just so I don't have to use backing.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:15 pm

That Soare 500S definitely is lightweight. I had one in hand. But I ended up going to 1000 size spools as I think the line comes out less twisty. I personally prefer Daiwa 1003 which are shallow spool but you did not ask about Daiwa. If you do, Alphahawk on this forum can probably 'talk' your ear off and give you good advice. :lol:

Rusty Shackelford
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Rusty Shackelford » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:54 pm

ultralight wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:15 pm
That Soare 500S definitely is lightweight. I had one in hand. But I ended up going to 1000 size spools as I think the line comes out less twisty. I personally prefer Daiwa 1003 which are shallow spool but you did not ask about Daiwa. If you do, Alphahawk on this forum can probably 'talk' your ear off and give you good advice. :lol:
Yea I also have decided to go with the 1000 size, I have already spoken with alphahawk a couple times in my pursuit to find the right reel :)

The Fisher King
Angler
Angler

Post by The Fisher King » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:41 am

I have both. The light Soare is very nice, but the handle does not fold like the stradic does. You do get a few more ball bearings in the Soare.

Being a JDM head myself and owning almost exclusively JDM reels, I have come to the conclusion that you will have to service your own reels; If you care enough, you can send them back to Japan to get serviced.