Tatula sv vs TD-Z 103hl

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Tatula sv vs TD-Z 103hl

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:54 am

I'm deciding between one of those for a frog rod, pitching and flipping as well possibly. The tatula would be 8.1 and brand new. The tdz is the one with the the flip/pitch frame and lever on the frame instead of a thumb bar. Both very close in price.

Which would you get?

I've also found a sv103 7.9 for $60-70 more but I have the 6.3 version and kind of like trying different things (although the sv103 is very smooth and feels solid)

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Tatula sv vs TD-Z 103hl

Post by LowRange » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:15 am

I would hate to recommend a Tatula over a TD-Z but those weird lefty TD-Z are primarily pitching and flipping reels. They are ment to be palmed when "cast" which is fine for pitching but I can't imagine actually trying to cast one while palming it at the same time.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:36 am

LowRange wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:15 am
I would hate to recommend a Tatula over a TD-Z but those weird lefty TD-Z are primarily pitching and flipping reels. They are ment to be palmed when "cast" which is fine for pitching but I can't imagine actually trying to cast one while palming it at the same time.
Oh, you don't just press the button and then cast like normal when you need to cast instead of pitching or flipping? Do you have to hold it down or something?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:22 am

Thumbing of the spool looks to be very difficult when cast normally. There doesn't look to be great access to the spool for thumbing when holding the rod by the grip and placing your index finger behind the trigger aka a 'normal cast'.
These reels are meant to be palmed while pitching or flipping. I don't palm my reel when I cast so I have no idea how I could use of one these reels on a normal cast. If you can palm your reel while casting then it may work out for you. Either way the eurgo on these reels are kinda funky.

johns
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by johns » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:48 am

don't need to hold anything down, just press the button. You can press button down with your thumb and hold spool at the same time or I just move my thumb after pressing button. I have 2 tdx and 1 tdz with that feature and have been using them since 2003 with no problems. No experience with the Tatula.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:26 pm

johns wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:48 am
don't need to hold anything down, just press the button. You can press button down with your thumb and hold spool at the same time or I just move my thumb after pressing button. I have 2 tdx and 1 tdz with that feature and have been using them since 2003 with no problems. No experience with the Tatula.
Ok, that's kind of how I thought it worked but started to get confused. It definitely has a different look to it and I can see how it might be better for pitching/flipping but as long as I can cast it when I need to without it being a major problem I think I'm going to pick one up to try.

I keep telling myself I'm going to buy a tatula sv and then pass by them for something else over and over. I just tried my brothers the other day and it really cast well. It wasn't as smooth as the steez A or steez sv tw I compared it to but it could cast just as well and was very difficult to backlash. I've got a thing for older quality reels in good condition though.

Anyway, I think I'm going to give the funky looking tdz a try first.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:44 pm

Those reels don't come up for sale everyday. Nab one and try it out. The Tatula SVs aren't going anywhere.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:29 pm

LowRange wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:44 pm
Those reels don't come up for sale everyday. Nab one and try it out. The Tatula SVs aren't going anywhere.
Very true. I wasn't even thinking about it like that. I can easily get the tatula sv if I don't like it.

Thanks

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:13 pm

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:29 pm
LowRange wrote:
Very true. I wasn't even thinking about it like that. I can easily get the tatula sv if I don't like it.

Thanks
Good luck. I wished I hadn't passed on a Megabass variant of one a "cover hacking" when I had the chance. If you are curious and one falls into your lap for a good price then buy it and find out. This is what I have learned about these rare enthusiast purchases. Get them while you can.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:53 pm

LowRange wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:13 pm
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:29 pm
LowRange wrote:

Thanks
Good luck. I wished I hadn't passed on a Megabass variant of one a "cover hacking" when I had the chance. If you are curious and one falls into your lap for a good price then buy it and find out. This is what I have learned about these rare enthusiast purchases. Get them while you can.
Just found out about the cover hacking. I actually ended up buying the regular version, td-z 103hl, but if I like it I may end up looking for the cover hacking. That one looks the best.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:27 am

Last post is from February but maybe he still has it?

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=80718&p=646741&hilit=10chl#p646741

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:35 am

Buy the TDZ and mod it as funds allow. You have over 30 spool options. Parts from many other reels platforms will swap. Sure for the RH guys 6:3 is as fast as you can get but I have frogged with 6:3 reels before and it worked just fine.

To help mod your TDZ for frogging I would suggest some HH air bearings, a 103 R+ spool, and a swept 90 mm handle and drag star. However these things would likely be about the cost of a basic used TDZ...

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:34 pm

Fishing4Fun wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:35 am
Buy the TDZ and mod it as funds allow. You have over 30 spool options. Parts from many other reels platforms will swap. Sure for the RH guys 6:3 is as fast as you can get but I have frogged with 6:3 reels before and it worked just fine.

To help mod your TDZ for frogging I would suggest some HH air bearings, a 103 R+ spool, and a swept 90 mm handle and drag star. However these things would likely be about the cost of a basic used TDZ...
I ended up buying one of the funky framed left hand tdz's. It looks perfect in the pictures and has had the drag upgraded and the handle was switched out for a 90mm zillion handle and zillion type r drag star so I'll try it like that and maybe keep an eye out for it and that type r+. I think I saw the left hand reels can be upgraded to 7:3.1 gears or something like that but I'll leave it alone since I've never done that before and I don't even know if they are available.

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:30 pm

I have a TD-Z 103HL Type R that happens to sit on an older 7'6" HF Zillion. For that reason it hasn't seen any use in several years. Really don't use a Heavy around here. Now if I could just retire to Florida. :( I prefer to cast right handed so the switch doesn't bother me. Thumb hits the spool just fine. I will admit that I prefer a thumb bar which is probably another reason it hasn't seen any use in awhile. Spooled with 50# Samurai. Kind of like a combo that most on here would sneer at, and have used it the couple times I have taken a Heavy out.....an older 6'10" Tour Edition PT/older Trion.

Will have to take it with me the next time I go out. The Type R/Zillion actually caught my PB in this area...which ain't sayin' much. Reel has had a few minor upgrades. Also supposed to have been tuned, but I don't know if it was. Can't trust the guy that worked on it. He stole the original spool from it. Bought a new one from Japan so it would still be 'original'.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:07 pm

new2BC4bass wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:30 pm
I have a TD-Z 103HL Type R that happens to sit on an older 7'6" HF Zillion. For that reason it hasn't seen any use in several years. Really don't use a Heavy around here. Now if I could just retire to Florida. :( I prefer to cast right handed so the switch doesn't bother me. Thumb hits the spool just fine. I will admit that I prefer a thumb bar which is probably another reason it hasn't seen any use in awhile. Spooled with 50# Samurai. Kind of like a combo that most on here would sneer at, and have used it the couple times I have taken a Heavy out.....an older 6'10" Tour Edition PT/older Trion.

Will have to take it with me the next time I go out. The Type R/Zillion actually caught my PB in this area...which ain't sayin' much. Reel has had a few minor upgrades. Also supposed to have been tuned, but I don't know if it was. Can't trust the guy that worked on it. He stole the original spool from it. Bought a new one from Japan so it would still be 'original'.
I'm planning on putting mine on a dobyns fury 735c but I have a og tatula 7'6" HF with an sv103 on it right now and I'm kind of playing with all my setups and trying to figure out what rods/reels I like together best.

Honestly I should have probably only bought half the stuff I have and I would have been fine. Maybe even a third. I like it all, just spend my time helping my boys with their stuff and watching them catch fish. I have too many heavy rods. I have both rods mentioned above and then an irod Genesis 2 magic stick. The plan is to use one for frogs, one for heavy jigs, one for 1-1 3/4oz wakebaits and Whopper ploppers. Really I could have gotten away with one heavy with how often I use them. I probably could have used one of my MH rods for jigs and I think some of my lighter rods are very similar in action and I could cut back on how many I have but every time I look at them and try to pick something to sell I end up changing my mind.

Anyway back on topic. I really like the way the type r looks with the red accents. Besides the red accents what is the difference between the regular and type r? The spool?