Fastest Round Reel?

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
JoeyBones
Angler
Angler
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:01 am
Location: PA

Fastest Round Reel?

Post by JoeyBones » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:03 am

Hi all,

I have always preferred 100-size round reels for the bulk of my bass fishing (Calcutta 100 and Daiwa Millionaire 103 sized). I've noticed that the manufacturers simply don't offer round reels in the same 8:1 or 9:1 retrieve rates, as are offered in the low-profile models. Seems they top out at 6-something typically.

I've got 6.8 gear sets and 1016 RCS spools in my 2 Daiwa Luna 103s, and am wondering if there are other reel/gear set combos that will yield an even faster retrieve, 100-sized round reel?

For purposes of this inquiry, I am brand-agnostic, and not price-sensitive.

Thanks in advance all,

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1906
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:34 pm
Location: NW OKC OK USA

Re: Fastest Round Reel?

Post by poisonokie » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:29 pm

JoeyBones wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:03 am
Hi all,

I have always preferred 100-size round reels for the bulk of my bass fishing (Calcutta 100 and Daiwa Millionaire 103 sized). I've noticed that the manufacturers simply don't offer round reels in the same 8:1 or 9:1 retrieve rates, as are offered in the low-profile models. Seems they top out at 6-something typically.

I've got 6.8 gear sets and 1016 RCS spools in my 2 Daiwa Luna 103s, and am wondering if there are other reel/gear set combos that will yield an even faster retrieve, 100-sized round reel?

For purposes of this inquiry, I am brand-agnostic, and not price-sensitive.

Thanks in advance all,
I used to run that spool in my Luna and man, will that thing sling! I used it with 30# braid on the Tatula 721MHRB-G throwing Duo G87 20A's and that's the farthest I've ever casted anything. I've since decided to use it more for light hardbaits and changed the spool to an SLP Steez 105. My rationale for that is that although it's a super solid machined work of art, it has the same gearset as the Alphas, which is not anyone's first choice for power fishing. That's why the speed seems to be limited to 7.2:1. The pinion from an sv105 looks very similar to that found in a 9.1 Zillion because they're both at or near the limit for what's possible as far as speed goes. There's just not much to that pinion gear at all. That 7.2 set will work great in your Luna and make one hell of a solid and relatively quick reel, (I throw that set in mine from time to time.) but I don't know if they'll ever make anything faster for it.
Still waters run deep.

JoeyBones
Angler
Angler
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:01 am
Location: PA

Re: Fastest Round Reel?

Post by JoeyBones » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:55 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:29 pm
JoeyBones wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:03 am
Hi all,

I have always preferred 100-size round reels for the bulk of my bass fishing (Calcutta 100 and Daiwa Millionaire 103 sized). I've noticed that the manufacturers simply don't offer round reels in the same 8:1 or 9:1 retrieve rates, as are offered in the low-profile models. Seems they top out at 6-something typically.

I've got 6.8 gear sets and 1016 RCS spools in my 2 Daiwa Luna 103s, and am wondering if there are other reel/gear set combos that will yield an even faster retrieve, 100-sized round reel?

For purposes of this inquiry, I am brand-agnostic, and not price-sensitive.

Thanks in advance all,
I used to run that spool in my Luna and man, will that thing sling! I used it with 30# braid on the Tatula 721MHRB-G throwing Duo G87 20A's and that's the farthest I've ever casted anything. I've since decided to use it more for light hardbaits and changed the spool to an SLP Steez 105. My rationale for that is that although it's a super solid machined work of art, it has the same gearset as the Alphas, which is not anyone's first choice for power fishing. That's why the speed seems to be limited to 7.2:1. The pinion from an sv105 looks very similar to that found in a 9.1 Zillion because they're both at or near the limit for what's possible as far as speed goes. There's just not much to that pinion gear at all. That 7.2 set will work great in your Luna and make one hell of a solid and relatively quick reel, (I throw that set in mine from time to time.) but I don't know if they'll ever make anything faster for it.
Hey thank you for the reply. If I am understanding correctly, this item here (I hope I am not breaking any rules linking to what is likely all of our favorite shop): https://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_p ... ts_id=9772 would work in my Luna 103 as it is currently configured with the 1016 RCS spool? Or would I need to go back to a stock spool?

Sorry for the follow-up question... The sheer number of combinations of Daiwa reels and components makes my head spin, and this is really the only forum where I've ever found folks who literally have "tried that."

Again, I appreciate the helpful reply.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1906
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:34 pm
Location: NW OKC OK USA

Re: Fastest Round Reel?

Post by poisonokie » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:00 pm

That's the one! I would go ahead and grab some carbontex drag washers if you haven't already done so. AFAIK it doesn't matter which spool you use. The only thing I've run into as far as that goes is needing a shorter spool tension shaft from a Zillion to change spools.
Still waters run deep.

JoeyBones
Angler
Angler
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:01 am
Location: PA

Re: Fastest Round Reel?

Post by JoeyBones » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:09 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:00 pm
That's the one! I would go ahead and grab some carbontex drag washers if you haven't already done so. AFAIK it doesn't matter which spool you use. The only thing I've run into as far as that goes is needing a shorter spool tension shaft from a Zillion to change spools.
Got it; thanks again. I'll take any small bump in retrieve rate I can get!

I encountered what you describe when trying the 6.8 gear set with my stock Luna 103 spool (needing a shorter tension shaft). There was also a clearance issue b/w the pinion gear and spool pin, if I recall correctly, which yielded some disconcerting noises until I changed out the spool. Has been butter smooth since putting in the 1016 spool.

Best regards,

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1906
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:34 pm
Location: NW OKC OK USA

Re: Fastest Round Reel?

Post by poisonokie » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:29 pm

JoeyBones wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:09 pm
poisonokie wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:00 pm
That's the one! I would go ahead and grab some carbontex drag washers if you haven't already done so. AFAIK it doesn't matter which spool you use. The only thing I've run into as far as that goes is needing a shorter spool tension shaft from a Zillion to change spools.
Got it; thanks again. I'll take any small bump in retrieve rate I can get!

I encountered what you describe when trying the 6.8 gear set with my stock Luna 103 spool (needing a shorter tension shaft). There was also a clearance issue b/w the pinion gear and spool pin, if I recall correctly, which yielded some disconcerting noises until I changed out the spool. Has been butter smooth since putting in the 1016 spool.

Best regards,
Sure thing! Those are totally awesome reels, so we Luna guys gotta stick together and represent!

I went straight to the 1016 with the stock 5.8's, so the stock spool has never even been used.
Still waters run deep.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1906
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:34 pm
Location: NW OKC OK USA

Re: Fastest Round Reel?

Post by poisonokie » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:46 pm

Here's how mine looks now...

Image

Image

Image
Still waters run deep.

JoeyBones
Angler
Angler
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:01 am
Location: PA

Re: Fastest Round Reel?

Post by JoeyBones » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:35 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:46 pm
Here's how mine looks now...

Image

Image

Image
Looking good! Here's one of mine (though the other is setup identically): viewtopic.php?t=61279

The 103 really is the ideal form factor, in my opinion.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1906
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:34 pm
Location: NW OKC OK USA

Re: Fastest Round Reel?

Post by poisonokie » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:53 pm

Sweet. That looks great! I got away from trying to mount a swept handle on mine and I'm glad. The straight ones look so much better. I've been intending to get some clear cork or sawdust knobs for mine. They really look great. I may get some metallic pink or green ones for my Alphas ASC and put the stock ones on it on my Luna.
Still waters run deep.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator
Posts: 4833
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:56 pm
Location: Oxford GA

Re: Fastest Round Reel?

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:14 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:46 pm
Here's how mine looks now...

Image

Image

Image
Nice handle! =D>
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Aquaftm45
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 769
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:50 pm

Re: Fastest Round Reel?

Post by Aquaftm45 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:50 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:46 pm
Here's how mine looks now...

Image

Image

Image
Does your wife have more shoes than you have MS-X rods?

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1906
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:34 pm
Location: NW OKC OK USA

Re: Fastest Round Reel?

Post by poisonokie » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:06 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:14 pm

Nice handle! =D>
Thanks! Couldn't have done it without you. :big grin:
Still waters run deep.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1906
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:34 pm
Location: NW OKC OK USA

Re: Fastest Round Reel?

Post by poisonokie » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:08 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:50 pm

Does your wife have more shoes than you have MS-X rods?
Lol, that's a hard yes. They don't cost over $200 a pair, though. At least I don't think they do... :-k
Still waters run deep.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator
Posts: 4833
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:56 pm
Location: Oxford GA

Re: Fastest Round Reel?

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:37 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:06 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:14 pm

Nice handle! =D>
Thanks! Couldn't have done it without you. :big grin:
That's the way that reel should have come.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1906
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:34 pm
Location: NW OKC OK USA

Re: Fastest Round Reel?

Post by poisonokie » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:47 pm

Yeah, it is. All that gold needs some contrast. I wish I could've gotten a purple spool, but that red one was too good of a deal from another member in the classifieds.
Still waters run deep.

Post Reply