Scorpion Mgl

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
DaisyZillion
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Scorpion Mgl

Post by DaisyZillion » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:17 pm

Trolling through Scooby’s YouTube feed I came across the Scorpion Mgl and that colour (side plates and frame) has got me in, I want to use it for fairly close quarters casting, say 30 to 50 feet for Saltwater Barramundi. Lure weights will be 1/4 to 3/4 oz. Anyone out there with any experience with this reel, any plus’s or negatives, I am looking at the HG so will probably order the 90mm handle for it.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Scorpion Mgl

Post by Slazmo » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:36 pm

MGL no go with salt... Change the spool out to the Curado K and your OK.

May as well buy the K itself, casts down to 5 gr easily with a good service and light spool shaft polish.

DaisyZillion
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DaisyZillion » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:28 pm

Slazmo wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:36 pm
MGL no go with salt... Change the spool out to the Curado K and your OK.

May as well buy the K itself, casts down to 5 gr easily with a good service and light spool shaft polish.
Cheers, so I gather the Magnumlite spool contains magnesium (although they don’t actually say this) much like the chronarch Ci4, the colour is what is drawing me to it so may go with the Scorpion and a K spool. Getting a Megabass “Jabberwock” reguided, acid wrapped so looking for something nice to go on it.
Last edited by DaisyZillion on Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

DaisyZillion
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DaisyZillion » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:23 pm

I might run it any way and when spool craps out replace it, have the K spool ready to go. It seems not all Mgl spools are created equal (as usual :roll: ) a bit like digigear, Hagane, DC etc. According to Japantackle the Bantam Mgl is saltwater safe and the Mgl spool comes as standard in the new Antares. You never know, I might get lucky \:D/

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:38 am

Do you remember the Chronarch 150 Ci4+ it had the MGL (Magnumlite 7075A) spool... That spools edges that just mysteriously vanished...
IMG_20190812_184448.jpg
IMG_20190812_184448.jpg (33.18 KiB) Viewed 3387 times
Case in point.

DaisyZillion
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DaisyZillion » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:28 am

Slazmo wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:38 am
Do you remember the Chronarch 150 Ci4+ it had the MGL (Magnumlite 7075A) spool... That spools edges that just mysteriously vanished...

IMG_20190812_184448.jpg

Case in point.
I sure do mate, I believe shimano then changed them out for a 6000 alloy spool (sans magnesium I reckon) manufactured to the same specs for warranty slash new reels, is that correct? I know some sent the reel in and they would change the spool out. Maybe the Bantam Mgl has say a Magnumlite 6065, it says it is an ultra duralumin spool on the Shimano Eu site. Just depends what material it is made of I guess.

DaisyZillion
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DaisyZillion » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:27 pm

Righto, starting to get a bit more of a handle on Mgl spools as regards to saltwater, I am way too new and clumsy with this board system so I will quote what I have read with references to the sites. First was on Jpfishingtacklenews whereby they did an intro to the Scorpion Mgl and a comparison to the new Antares, they referred to the Scorpion as having a “2nd age spool” and the Antares having a “3rd age spool”. The Scorpion spool allowing it to be fished in saltwater and the Antares freshwater only, the Antares spool has better performance ie lighter. Also noted that Scorpion Mgl is referred to as “Saltwater fine” on the Japan tackle site.