MicroWave Guides Casting Distance

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
TheUltimateAngler
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

MicroWave Guides Casting Distance

Post by TheUltimateAngler » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:02 pm

So I've been wondering about these American Tackle Microwave Guides. Has anyone used them before, and do they actually increase casting distance? I'm skeptical because the outer ring of the stripper guide seems like it reduces distance as it creates more friction.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: MicroWave Guides Casting Distance

Post by adam lancia » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:46 am

I had a rod built with them only because the builder was practically giving them away so I thought I'd try them. I don't notice a big improvement but I also didn't have a second identical rod built to test against either.

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:56 am

TheUltimateAngler wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:02 pm
So I've been wondering about these American Tackle Microwave Guides. Has anyone used them before, and do they actually increase casting distance? I'm skeptical because the outer ring of the stripper guide seems like it reduces distance as it creates more friction.
OH yes, I've built several rods with these. MW really works. Weird looking stripper guide kills line looping and after that it goes right through rest of guides. I does not increase friction. Haven't tested does it improve casting distance, but it stabilizes casting and prevents ALL wind knots.

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:43 am

On my casting rods I can't tell a difference, it does seem to help on spinning rods

RDBowers
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by RDBowers » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:14 pm

When the Microwave Guides were first introduced, I was a hard-core skeptic. In an attempt to be fair, I conducted a series of tests with two sets of rods. I made up two spinning rods with the identical Lamiglas blanks, and another set from Talon blanks. I then used the same reel and 1/4 OZ lure, switching back and forth between the rods. I tested with 6lb Suffix mono, 17lb Stren mono, and a 6lb Fireline Crystal. I cast the rod with the standard (Cone of Flight) guides 10 times, and with a friend, measured the distances. I then switched the reel to the rod with the Microwave Guides and repeated the 10 casts. While the difference in distance was not significant (about 5' more with the MW guides on average) there were other very significant advantages. You don't need to cast as hard to get the same distance, so you can focus on accuracy. Additionally, the feel is much smoother, with significantly fewer vibrations. These results were the same with both sets of rods, which I still have to this day.

Based on my tests, I became a believer and continue to use the MW guides on my personal rods.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:08 pm

The guides in essence are creating an improved line choke system reducing line flutter through the guides and wasted energy's while casting.

Ive got a few pictures of traditional Fuji K Ti's I put onto a rod showing the line coil and choke through those guides - which MW guides would've smoothed out at the first stripper guide.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:19 pm

I have two spinning rods with MW guides and they have ruined all other spinning rods for me. The casting distance isn't a huge improvement, but there is just a general feeling of "smoothness" that they give that I really miss when I use other rods.
RDBowers wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:14 pm
You don't need to cast as hard to get the same distance, so you can focus on accuracy. Additionally, the feel is much smoother, with significantly fewer vibrations.
Exactly this. I have a couple of old MagLight/XFast IMX spinning rods that I want to replace the guides on with MW ones. They are amazing blanks but the stock guides make them feel so clunky to me now.

Sore Thumb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Sore Thumb » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:58 pm

Enter into search on the custom rod section of the forum. Lots of good information