Supertuning expectations

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
Jasboj
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Supertuning expectations

Post by Jasboj » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:47 pm

Longtime lurker here. I havent posted here before. I did try the search before i posted his so if im beating a dead horse i apologize. For those who have done it, Im curious what to expect after a reel has been supertuned? Is it a different beast, will it cast further, will it take a decent reel to the next level? I have some higher end reels and some middle of the road reels and im looking to improve the casting on some and all around more friendly to use. Is it worth the cost? I appreciate any info. I want to make sure i dont have unrealistic expectations of the end result.Thanks again!

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Supertuning expectations

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:07 am

Supertuning... nowadays is more like swapping parts and add bling.
  • Do you need bling?
  • Do you have an old reel (ie. TD Sol, TD Zillion, Steez 100/103) that can benefit from a better or shallower spool?
  • Maybe a change of gear ratio?
  • Carbon drag?
If you answered no to the above questions than, you are probably better just buying a new reel.
This is my opinion and I can tell you that I have swapped 5 Z2020 handles (to 100mm) and 4 gear sets (7.2:1 to 6,4:1).
I have bought 3 drag stars and 3 handles for my Sol/Alphas/Zonda platforms.
I have upgraded all my older reels to carbon drags and even added bearings to their max capacity.
Bought more BFS and SV spools than one should and corresponding bearings.

In the end and unless you have some kind of affection for the gear in question, just buy the new high-end stuff and you'll get more bang for one's buck.

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:38 am

In my experience, "supertuning" produces a very minimal improvement but it was what we had years ago. Today, spools and bearings will offer the greatest performance difference. Certain spools will drastically change the lure weight range and others will allow for long-casting or skipping with ease. Bearings can help squeeze that extra 10% distance out of a spool and or provide slightly better lure weight ranges.

The truth is, reels today are so good that the diminishing returns are substantial after you pass the $150 mark. What does a Steez or Bantam offer in terms of pure performance over say the Tatula 100 or Curado K? Sure it may be smoother, perhaps better longevity, or even say 10% further casts, but will it really put more fish in the boat? Most likely not.

I'd just buy what you can afford and fish it stock. If you want a a true upgrade that will drastically change the performance, make sure to go with a reel platform that has multiple spool options.

Tuning and buying high end reels is really more for the enjoyment these days. If I'm not catching, I can appreciate the smoothness and function of a high end piece of machinery or well built rod.

I've been smoked by a guy with a Shakespeare coffee grinder and 3 year old mono. Fish what you want,fish what you can afford, and don't think you are loosing fish because you don't have a super tuned $500 custom reel.

I hope this was insightful.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:08 am

I agree, the reels of today are better out of the box than most supertuned reels that are 10+ yrs old. That being said, the TDZ and Chronarch 100D will still hang with most any reel produced today imho. As you mentioned, I do like the 34mm spool compatibility of the Steez/TDZ/SS SV platforms.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:06 am

I agree with the above posters that today's baitcasters are so good that there is very little to "supertune".
I've done two things which really improved my reels.
First, I put longer handles with ball bearings on all of my reels. For $20+- it makes a huge difference for my old carpenter's hands. The constant small vibration of the handles with bushings is really noticeable for me, and I can fish moving baits all day now in comfort.
Second, I swapped out the original aluminum drive gears with new brass gears on eight of the baitcasters I use most. The difference in smoothness, and the need for less maintenance, far outweighs any difference in the overall weight of my reels.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:12 pm

While I agree with the above responses, I still feel the drag can be significantly improved in just about any reel regardless of pedigree or price paid. Reference the tutorial linked below for the whys and hows ...

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=80164

PikeRoadBassn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PikeRoadBassn » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:58 pm

Depends on your idea of what super tuning is.

My ultimate goal when I tune a reel is for smooth effortless use. From clutch engagement, to casting performance, to drag performance. With the move to use more and more plastic in reels, there is less to be polished, but there are still some parts than need addressed. Drag performance is the biggest one, along with clutch engagement. I’m seeing more abs more reels straight out of the box that are under lubed. That alone can make a huge difference in how a reel feels.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:46 pm

IMHO shallow spools save way more money.
I have a Z that just today I spent $29.99 on line and it ate almost all of it ](*,) . With the remaining line ( 20lb floro) I’ll spool up a pitching reel with a shallow spool and get my monies worth. I absolutely hate left over line I can’t do anything with.

I can say that supertuning a bantam mGl is a marginal gain after the bearings. I just ordered some bearing from the tackle trap and will try to replace that spool bearing on the mgl.
Not many of my reels have stock bearings. :-k I really can’t think of any. But I like the effortless casting and DISTANCE
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:47 pm

My other Z has a shallow spool but that reel is a beast in the like cap department
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Jasboj
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Jasboj » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:59 pm

I appreciate the responces. Ive never altered my reels at all before but ive read of alot of posts about upgrading certain things/parts. I guess where i was going with this post was i need to send my reels in to be serviced and cleaned and i was mainly wondering if there was anything that can be done to make them cast smoother and farther? I dont believe im running junkie equipment. Most my reels are in the $175-300 range. I have some higher end team lews reels, chronarch e series, old chronarchs, revos, exos, and a few cheaper citicas. Thanks for all the info!

lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lifeofRiley » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:50 pm

I'm going to echo the sentiment that "supertuning" is a thing of the past. Heck, even 20 years ago you can read posts where people had reels "supertuned" and regretted ever having it done. The main thing is to keep the reels you have clean and lubed. Some factory reels I've owned or worked on for others had lumpy grease in the bearings that caused poor casting/reeling. This is solved by cleaning and re/oiling the bearings. For 95% of anyone's fishing, factory bearings when properly lubed work just as good if not better than any fancy and overpriced hybrid bearings. Other than replacing dartanium drags with cross-carbon I don't see anything that needs to be done with stock reels. I've never owned a reel that is clean have any problems with clutch engagement. You are wise to send your reels somewhere to be cleaned, but there is no reason to "supertune"(whatever that means).

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:58 pm

I think super + tuning can be used and regarded wrongly in the reel world now.

All your trying to do is gain efficiency in a few key areas and provide better results than that of standard.

Heck, I see an improvement of the few things I do to my standard reels and that's quiet literally a few little things to better drag performance and casting ease nothing more.

But let's be honest if you can reduce any play or bearing ID / OD Cup interference etc and tighten up a reel it all helps.

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:34 am

Slazmo wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:58 pm

But let's be honest if you can reduce any play or bearing ID / OD Cup interference etc and tighten up a reel it all helps.
Indeed.

I have gone a long way to replace all my DIY spool bearings with HedgeHog Air Ceramic 1030 so I can use the aluminum casing that daiwa nowadays uses around the bearings. You can find it in all the SV spools.

I found out that the DIY bearings as well as general BFS bearings will not seat properly in the reel frame and will cause noise due to radial play.

DougL58
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by DougL58 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:45 am

There's tuning, super tuning, and there's simply replacing parts. I agree, with most new high end, even medium end reels there is little or no need for super tuning. There can be gains for a few key areas to me. Mainly drag, spool and spool bearings.

To me:

Tuning is basically a complete disassemble, cleaning including all bearings, greasing internals including bearings except spool bearings, oil spool bearings and reassemble.

Super Tuning includes polishing all internal mechanical parts and gears, upgrading spool bearings, adding bearings to replace bushings, treating spool bearings with special oils or other lubricants like TSI 301 or Tungsten Disulfide, possible parts swaps from other reels such as line guides, spools, click drags or handles.

The main platform that benefits the most from super tuning and has the most options is the TD-Z.