Best wake baits / waking cranks?

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Best wake baits / waking cranks?

Post by jerkbait22 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:40 am

What's your favorite wake bait and/or waking crank?

I recently started fishing a new lake with plenty of grass and have been using these more. I had a nice 3.5lber last night on a buzzjet and a similar sized fish the week before on a megabass funky flipper.

Mann's 1 minus and baby 1 minus seems to be the tried and true bait. Duo just came out with a new super shallow runner called the Kabuki SSR which I was thinking about purchasing. Strike King is also set to release a KVD 2.5 Wake after iCast but it doesn't look to be in stock anywhere yet.

All of this has me curious as to what else is out there and what else I could or should be looking at purchasing.... :D

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Best wake baits / waking cranks?

Post by smalljaw » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:30 am

My favorite, and what I consider the best is the Mann's Waker. The 1 Minus is good but it will dive deep unless you slow it down, the Waker can be reeled fast and still produce a wake and it doesn't blow out at high speed like others. The Arashi wake crank is ok but you have to reel it slow or it blows out. The Yo-Zuri 3DB wake is good as well but like others it will dive a little deeper when reeled fast. If you can find old stock of the Mann's Waker and Waker Elite get one, it is a big bodied bait but only weighs 3/8oz, it produces a big wake at any speed, it is wicked loud, and it produces fish.
Barlow's Tackle

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:53 pm

smalljaw wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:30 am
My favorite, and what I consider the best is the Mann's Waker. The 1 Minus is good but it will dive deep unless you slow it down, the Waker can be reeled fast and still produce a wake and it doesn't blow out at high speed like others. The Arashi wake crank is ok but you have to reel it slow or it blows out. The Yo-Zuri 3DB wake is good as well but like others it will dive a little deeper when reeled fast. If you can find old stock of the Mann's Waker and Waker Elite get one, it is a big bodied bait but only weighs 3/8oz, it produces a big wake at any speed, it is wicked loud, and it produces fish.
Saw a couple of your posts on this guy and did a few quick searches but didn't find anything. Another favorite seems to be the LC Wake which I have on the way now. I will order the new Duos and see how they do as well.

Texas-Rigged
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Texas-Rigged » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:23 am

Strike Pro Hunchback

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:44 pm

Megabass Dorum. They are discontinued though so can be a little hard to find.

johns
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by johns » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:26 am

mega bass I loud and the IMA Roumba both rattling and silent

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:13 am

Deps Buzzjet reeled pretty slow. Exciting! \:D/

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:27 pm

Finnz922 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:13 am
Deps Buzzjet reeled pretty slow. Exciting! \:D/
I never get aggressive strikes on the buzzjet, they usually just gulp it off the surface. I think I've only caught 1 or 2 fish below 2lbs on that bait.

I won't get the Duo Kabuki baits until next week but I'll report back after throwing them. I remember seeing the MB Dorum a while back but wasn't sure about the performance. Looks more like something for the collection rather than to fish.

Bronzebak85
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Bronzebak85 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:05 pm

Megabass i-loud
6th sense movement 80x
—————————
Please provide updates on the Duo bait. :D

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:13 am

Bronzebak85 wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:05 pm

Please provide updates on the Duo bait. :D
I got a chance to fish these yesterday. I was throwing them on my poisona adrena medium +. They are very light - I think they are rated at 1/4oz but may be just below that. If you're looking to cover a lot of water they may not be the best option. I didn't catch on them but the action seems good. They dive about 3 or 4" below the surface, very similar to a mann's baby 1 minus.

I also got to throw the LC Wake - it has a very unique action with the jointed body. It really puts out a nice thump and flash. I was able to catch 1 dink on it. I need more time with both, but as of now I would rate the LC Wake above the Duo Kabuki SSR.

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:42 pm

There is a reason the 1 minus and baby 1 minus are still going strong after all these years. They just flat out get bit. I don't know that any newer or fancier baits actually produce as well. To give them more of a wake just reel a bit slower and hold the rod high. But they also get bit diving just below the surface as well.

MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MountainMan 83 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:26 am

smalljaw wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:30 am
I was going to say the Mann's 1 minus as well. Never heard of the waker. I'll have to check it out. Thanks!