Rods with the 'it' Factor

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Rods with the 'it' Factor

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:16 pm

Anything built on a Point Blank rod blank :lol:. BUT - I just took possession of an 18 Daiwa Heartland 6101 mrb last week. It factor in spades. Blank is even fatter than my PBs, plus it might even be lighter. Thin walls, beautiful taper, plenty of reserve power. Throw in the HVF nanoplus tech tech, very sensitive, very versatile. Classy and elegant.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:40 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:53 am
It's certainly not as powerful as the 783c if you're talking MBR Loomis flavor. It's certainly more powerful than the XXX Black Themis. The action on the Addermine and the Hein are very similar, but the Addermine has ever so slightly more backbone - that 0.5 power difference is noticeable but only slightly. If you were looking for something as close to the Addermine in a casting platform, the Hein will be exactly what you're looking for.
Yep, I meant a 783c glx. Thanks for the info!

Matt_3479
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Matt_3479 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:50 am

So far I’m really liking the expride 7’ light+ for neds and spybaits actually!
Nrx 852s for senkos, and light neko rigs
Glx 894c for 3/8-1/2oz jigs

I haven’t found something I really like my nrx 853c for. It seems to do a lot pretty well but nothing that’s been dedicated to it.

Oddly enough I’ve enjoying my glx 852c for smaller/lighter tube set ups, and shakey heads and stuff. I’ve been throwing a tube all week in 30-50ft of water chasing large smallies! Been the toughest bite I’ve ever had.

CGrinder
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CGrinder » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:19 pm

While we are at it, how does the Wild Bunch compare to the Power Versatile? :big grin:

On topic, NRX MBR 843 imo. It does just about everything.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:32 pm

CGrinder wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:19 pm
While we are at it, how does the Wild Bunch compare to the Power Versatile? :big grin:
Inquiring minds want to know. Love my PV

Bubbleboy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bubbleboy » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:27 am

CGrinder wrote:

On topic, NRX MBR 843 imo. It does just about everything.
Couldn’t agree more! My favourite rod!
Toronto, Ont.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:39 am

MB X7 Super Eiger - Love the way it feels and the sensitivity is as good as it gets
NRX 873 and 893 - sensitivity is top notch
Otter rods custom built on a Phenix K2 blank - best built and most sensitive rod I own, but comes with a high price
MB X4 Destruction - Not for the sensitivity, the action is great and it will handle a wide variety of baits

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:43 am

Shimano Poison Ultima 66.

This rod is a winner for the search for one. Does everything really well in its 1/4 - 3/4 range. I'll start the day with topwater with it, use a swimming senko/crankbait later on and fish with something t-rigged. Sensitivity is on par with anything out there and the versatility is fantastic.

MB X7 Simoom.

My go to for senkos, neko rigging, etc. Skips lures easily and plenty of backbone to handle bigger fish.

MB X7 Super Eiger.

Does everything really well in its weight range.

Evergreen Stingray 66.

Great sensitivity for BFS techniques that are bottom contact, drop shotting.

MB X7 Super Criffhanger.

All around wonder for BFS techniques. Shocked at how well it handles buzzbaits, smaller whooper ploppers and small jighead plastics. Interested to hear how it compares to the Evoluzion version.

Evergreen Super Stallion TKLC.

Love it for bigger topwaters, small/medium sized swimbaits, etc.

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:22 am

P3 Nautilus
P3 Super Destroyer
P3 Bandersnatch
Evo Big Taper Super Diablo
Jota xfti
Destroyer Rekkai and Brigandage slants, often underrated, but definitely sensational rods.
Last but not least, the X4 Mat bucker is another favorite.

There's more, there's always more ;)
Canadian arm to what is Megabass of America
Instagram @m.a.dufour

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:04 pm

njbasscat wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:39 am
MB X7 Super Eiger - Love the way it feels and the sensitivity is as good as it gets
NRX 873 and 893 - sensitivity is top notch
Otter rods custom built on a Phenix K2 blank - best built and most sensitive rod I own, but comes with a high price
MB X4 Destruction - Not for the sensitivity, the action is great and it will handle a wide variety of baits
Which K2 model? I, along with several others, have always been curious how the K2 stacks up against the original X7s. In terms of sensitivity and liveliness. I had a Phase 3 I recently sold, and it was good, but not K2 good. I have an X Ray in the works. It will accommodate my K2 683ml, and my Point Blank 6'9 medium light. Can't wait to do some comparisons.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:22 pm

jmb27 wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:43 am
Shimano Poison Ultima 66.

This rod is a winner for the search for one. Does everything really well in its 1/4 - 3/4 range. I'll start the day with topwater with it, use a swimming senko/crankbait later on and fish with something t-rigged. Sensitivity is on par with anything out there and the versatility is fantastic.

MB X7 Simoom.

My go to for senkos, neko rigging, etc. Skips lures easily and plenty of backbone to handle bigger fish.

MB X7 Super Eiger.

Does everything really well in its weight range.

Evergreen Stingray 66.

Great sensitivity for BFS techniques that are bottom contact, drop shotting.

MB X7 Super Criffhanger.

All around wonder for BFS techniques. Shocked at how well it handles buzzbaits, smaller whooper ploppers and small jighead plastics. Interested to hear how it compares to the Evoluzion version.

Evergreen Super Stallion TKLC.

Love it for bigger topwaters, small/medium sized swimbaits, etc.
Now we’re talking:

Some additional honorable mentions to fill out the all stars above:

P3 Elseil F4-610x

Jabberwock slant F4 1/2-68xfti

Extreme mission F5-75x7

Brigandage slant F5-69x

Poison Ultima 72h

Luxxe oltre (pick a length and action to your liking and it’s the one you’ll swear by)

Newer gen stand outs:

Steez racing design 701mh/hfb (this is the one I would keep if I had to choose only one)

Grand cobra rs limited IRSC 611xmh

Wow; can’t believe I left this gem off: Conquest 904c

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:17 pm

BigG wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:32 pm
CGrinder wrote:
Inquiring minds want to know. Love my PV
I am and will always be a fan of the original Black Jungle Power Versatile. One has earned a spot in my "permanent collection" :lol:

The Wild Bunch is a different beast in terms of overall weight, sensitivity, and function when compared to the PV. The PV has a unique shorter handle for such a powerful rod, which is part of the reason it has achieved such a beloved status among Megabass and/or enthusiast rod guys. There may not be a better mag top water walking bait rod available than the PV, and it does a lot of other things incredibly well.

The Wild Bunch is also impressively versatile, albeit with a lighter class of lures than the PV, but it has a noticeable acumen for bottom contact presentations. The PV is a moving bait rod first and foremost and I don't get that sense with the Wild Bunch at all in my limited time on the water with this model.

Back to rods with the "it" factor - there have been some of my "permanent collection" favorites named that are no longer in production... P3 Nautilus, X7 Simoom, X7 Super Eiger, OG EG Super Stallion and many more... I'd fill pages with great rods of the past, but there are so many new great ones to talk about :D Keep them coming guys, great thread =D>
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:55 pm

Casting:

Steez XBD - still arguably the king of frog rods. Has a unique combination of accurate AND bomb castability with a *THWACK!* hookset that pins them solid even on casts that are so long, they’re a dumb idea.

NRX 916 - sensitive, extremely powerful, versatile. Doesn’t get enough love and it’s a unique wonder of a rod. I didn’t like the reel seat or handle and had them replaced by a custom builder. I can (and do!) fish everything from a 1/4oz jig to a Deps 250 on this rod. Doesn’t even seem possible and makes me smile every time I throw it.

Evergreen Super Stallion - Well regarded and loved for good reason. Recent addition of a TKIC SS has been a blast to fish. Right up with the top rods in sensitivity and it’s a design that speaks to me. Love the reel seat of the new models, handle length, taper, balance, aesthetics, everything about it. Steep price tag, would buy another in a heartbeat if I was ever without it.

Spinning:

GLX 803BSR - Just seemed to be able to do it all and for a long time it was the benchmark in sensitivity to compare to. Full cork handle had great balance too.

NRX 852S - Hard to imagine a better all around spinning rod for light to medium duty work. Sensitivity is electric. Tip protects light line and/or hooks perfectly with the backbone to bring the fury when needed.

NRX 804S - To me this is a unicorn of a spinning rod that should be wildly more common than it is. Took me years to find a spinning rod that I loved this much for Medium to heavy duty work... it does everything in spades. Just fished a 1/8oz Ned on it yesterday morning and then retied to a 3/4oz head with a 5.8 Keitech and casted it so far I thought it might never land. The bites were electric on both! Amazingly sensitive and has serious attitude when you load it up. If you don’t know, now you know.

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Winstondry » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:00 pm

Here’s one that I don’t recall seeing mentioned and is one of my favorites, the DAIWA Heartland 741 MHRB-SV AGS casting rod. Phenomenal rod! Paired with a Steez LTD TN, it’s a match made in heaven.

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:59 am

Polkfish1 wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:22 pm

Now we’re talking:

Some additional honorable mentions to fill out the all stars above:

Luxxe oltre (pick a length and action to your liking and it’s the one you’ll swear by)

Newer gen stand outs:

Steez racing design 701mh/hfb (this is the one I would keep if I had to choose only one)

Grand cobra rs limited IRSC 611xmh

Wow; can’t believe I left this gem off: Conquest 904c
I have a few of the ones that I deleted to save space on the post.

I've tried to get my hands on a Luxxe Oltre, but to no avail. :crying: Still looking...

Tell me about the Steez Racing Design and the Grand Cobra. Have read a little bit about them but intrigued. :-k Can you give us a quick review? What techniques the rods shine w/?