Rods with the 'it' Factor

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Rods with the 'it' Factor

Post by HobeyBaker » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:52 pm

You hear it a lot with fly rods, but there are always a few rods that are special within each lineup. What rods do you have that have that special 'it' factor?

7'6 MML Steez AGS - Tubes, drop and drag drop shot, spy baits, small swimbaits
852s NRX - Weightless senkos
893c NRX - light Texas rigs

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Rods with the 'it' Factor

Post by Revofisher » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:40 am

lately im digging the expride 7'2 hvy. even though its not one of my more expensive set ups ive been using it a lot lately for frogs, plastics, jigs, smaller swimbaits, and large t rigs its a really versatile rod i have a bantam with this rod. I really like the st croix legend elite 7'6" med light spinning rod i use it for hair jigs, casting drop shot baits when not vertical fishing, small 2.8 keitech swimbaits, and spybaits.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:53 am

I'll chime in on a few favorites of mine currently in production along with the reel in use...

Steez 76MML-AGS/Exist LT 3000-CXH - This one of the best do it all spinning rods of all time, no doubt, just amazing for me.
Steez 71MH-AGS - paired with a Steez CT presently and a joy for t-rigs, lighter jigs.
Megabass F3-610X Hein Carbon Head - Paired with Steez CT - my go to finesse combo - light bottom contact to top water, does it all
Megabass F6-71X FMJ - paired with Zillion SV TW custom 9:1 - go to larger jig and plastics for pitching/heavier cover
Megabass Valkyrie 71MH - paired with Steez A - spinner bait, vibrating jig, 1/2 oz to 1 oz top water rod
Megabasss F6-72X Carbon Head Wild Bunch - paired with Zillion SV TW - new kid on the block, extremely versatile heavier powered rod - frogs, swim baits, big jigs, heavy cover - so far reminds me of the legendary X4 Destruction only better :D
Last edited by bronzefly on Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:04 am

St. Croix Legend Elite EC70MF

I have mine matched with a Conquest 100HG and it's wonderful pair and very hard to set down.
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:56 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:53 am
Megabass F3-610X Hein Carbon Head - Paired with Steez CT - my go to finesse combo - light bottom contact to top water, does it all

Megabasss F6-72X Carbon Head Wild Bunch - paired with Zillion SV TW - new kid on the block, extremely versatile heavier powered rod - frogs, swim baits, big jigs, heavy cover - so far reminds me of the legendary XX Destruction only better :D
I love the Hien! I grabbed the non-carbon head version and it’s awesome for everything mentioned, a great all around rod for lighter stuff.

And I was actually going to ask you about the Wild Bunch and how you thought it might compare to the X4 Destruction. :)

Jkitchens
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Jkitchens » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:28 pm

bronzefly wrote:
I'll chime in on a few favorites of mine currently in production along with the reel in use...

Steez 76MML-AGS/Exist LT 3000-CXH - This one of the best do it all spinning rods of all time, no doubt, just amazing for me.
Steez 71MH-AGS - paired with a Steez CT presently and a joy for t-rigs, lighter jigs.
Megabass F6-71X FMJ - paired with Zillion SV TW custom 9:1 - go to larger jig and plastics for pitching/heavier cover
Megabass Valkyrie 71MH - paired with Steez A - spinner bait, vibrating jig, 1/2 oz to 1 oz top water rod
Megabasss F6-72X Carbon Head Wild Bunch - paired with Zillion SV TW - new kid on the block, extremely versatile heavier powered rod - frogs, swim baits, big jigs, heavy cover - so far reminds me of the legendary X4 Destruction only better :D
I’ve been digging the MB Wild Bunch too Gary! It’s my favorite rod for t-rigs / medium jigs. That Carbon Head Hein is next! Going to pair it up with my Steez CT... Here’s my Wild Bunch!
303A813F-1D9F-463C-89D7-7E5893A04A14.jpeg
303A813F-1D9F-463C-89D7-7E5893A04A14.jpeg (136.64 KiB) Viewed 15529 times
2018 Ranger RT 188 w / 115 PRO XS CT

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:49 am

Jkitchens wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:28 pm
I’ve been digging the MB Wild Bunch too Gary! It’s my favorite rod for t-rigs / medium jigs. That Carbon Head Hein is next! Going to pair it up with my Steez CT... Here’s my Wild Bunch!

303A813F-1D9F-463C-89D7-7E5893A04A14.jpeg
Excellent - I'm so glad you like it. Very few guys have had the opportunity to fish this one yet. I'm happy with it too, its really fantastic rod indeed.
MediumHeavy wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:56 pm
I love the Hien! I grabbed the non-carbon head version and it’s awesome for everything mentioned, a great all around rod for lighter stuff.

And I was actually going to ask you about the Wild Bunch and how you thought it might compare to the X4 Destruction. :)
I had the standard Hein for a couple years and wanted to jump to the Carbon Head just to try it out. I am a huge fan of that rod in either series.

The X4 Destruction doesn't hold a candle to the sensitivity of the new Wild Bunch in my hands, but it can handle larger treble moving baits in that 2 oz range better. This Wild Bunch is going to be popular as soon as we get more of them out there :lol:
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:24 am

bronzefly wrote:

How does the Hein compare with the Addermine in power and taper? By the numbers it looks to be a little heavier.

The Addermine is a good rod but I have finally accepted that I don’t like spinning rods much longer then 6’ and am looking for a rod to replace it. Trying to fit it in between a XXX Black Themis and a 783c.

Bmauldin22
Angler
Angler

Post by Bmauldin22 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:58 am

Just ordered the Wild Bunch this morning. Looks beautiful and sounds like it is exactly what i'm looking for.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:53 am

Bmauldin22 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:58 am
Just ordered the Wild Bunch this morning. Looks beautiful and sounds like it is exactly what i'm looking for.
Thank you! It will ship today. Please post your thoughts on the rod when you get some time with it... I think you'll be happy :D
Houndfish wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:24 am
How does the Hein compare with the Addermine in power and taper? By the numbers it looks to be a little heavier.

The Addermine is a good rod but I have finally accepted that I don’t like spinning rods much longer then 6’ and am looking for a rod to replace it. Trying to fit it in between a XXX Black Themis and a 783c.
It's certainly not as powerful as the 783c if you're talking MBR Loomis flavor. It's certainly more powerful than the XXX Black Themis. The action on the Addermine and the Hein are very similar, but the Addermine has ever so slightly more backbone - that 0.5 power difference is noticeable but only slightly. If you were looking for something as close to the Addermine in a casting platform, the Hein will be exactly what you're looking for.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

edwelch1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by edwelch1 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:16 am

St. Croix Legend Elite Panfish 6'4" Light X-Fast.

Mounted with a Daiwa Tatula 1000, 15lb YGK Admix PE Slow Sinking Braid mainline, and Seaguar Blue Label leader material in 4 or 8lb. Primarily fishing 1/64-1/8oz jigs with a variety of plastics, as this year I've challenged myself to using 100% artificial baits as opposed to the shiners, rainbow chubs, crawlers, and leeches that I usually use. Sometimes slip bobber fishing, but usually either "vertical" jigging while trolling around or drifting under 0.5mph, or casting out toward/near/over structure and jigging as I retrieve along the bottom. My favorite new bait combo that I've used has been 1/10oz Z-Man Finesse Shroomz with their Ned Rig specific plastics going after walleyes primarily, though I've had bluegills, crappies, rock bass, and some northerns hit as well.

So far it has been an extremely fun and sensitive setup. It's completely enthusiast level rod-wise and therefore mostly unnecessary for panfishing. You'd be pretty much every bit as well served by the regular St. Croix Panfish Series for $120, or any of the similarly priced L/UL trout or panfish rods on the market, especially if you're bobber fishing a lot, but I can't stop smiling every time I get to use this thing so it's worth the price of entry to me.

The thing that is most striking to me is that this rod seems to dispel the notion that you can't feel anything through slack braid/superlines. I thought I was going crazy at first, thinking I was feeling ghost strikes when my line was slack between jigging movements. But, with the aid of hi-viz line and confirmation of actually catching fish now that I'm more used to the handling/feeling of the rod, I know that they aren't ghost strikes, and that this rod really is sensitive enough to feel the slightest take-up of slack braid from a light strike, backed up by getting used to watching my line carefully for extra visual confirmation.

I dunno, I might still be off-base thinking I can feel strikes on slack braid, but I swear it's what I'm experiencing, and it has me 100% sold on this rod. A Daiwa Exist 1000 is also on the radar to make this thing the ultimate overkill enthusiast panfish rig, but that'll have to wait a while, lol. I'm also now hoping to replace my GL2 821S DSR with a similar power/action rod (mag-light/fast or a med-light/x-fast) that's on the same level of sensitivity as this LEP; it'll likely either be a St. Croix Legend X 6'10" Med-Light X-fast, or I'll be looking to custom build something similar.
www.blindjumperoutdoors.com

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Winstondry » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:05 am

bronzefly wrote:

Gary, how does the Wild Bunch compare to the Faust?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:49 am

Winstondry wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:05 am
Gary, how does the Wild Bunch compare to the Faust?
The Faust has a "broom stick" feel in my hands. It's noticeably more stout and powerful with a much less forgiving action all the way to the tip. The Wild Bunch has a much more flexible upper section that loads with more ease and fluidity. While the Faust has its applications and good uses, I can already tell that the Wild Bunch is a much more versatile, user friendly rod for me, and I find it more sensitive as well.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Winstondry » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:03 pm

Thanks Gary! Of course, I already have the Faust... :doh:

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:12 pm

Winstondry wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:03 pm
Thanks Gary! Of course, I already have the Faust... :doh:
You're welcome! The Faust is a fine rod and I know several guys who really like theirs, but in terms of the "it" factor, it just didn't have it for me.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap