Help with my Sol

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Help with my Sol

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:22 am

I just bought a new in box Sol. Its definitely new and came with the oil, wrench, and paperwork all in bags and in the original box. I know there are better reels available but couldn't pass it up for $100.

Anyway, it does have an issue. I took it out of the box and bag and pushed the thumb bar. Spun the spool a little bit, waited for the spool to stop, turned the handle and the thumb bar popped back up but I noticed the spool wasn't turning like it should and it felt a little tight. I stopped and rolled the spool a little and something popped into.place and everything was fine again. It doesn't do this every time but it does it fairly often. When I took the spool out everything seemed to function fine but it is definitely something with the pinion and spool pin not hooking up properly.

It is not on a rod and I haven't put line on it yet so it's not under normal fishing conditions. Also the drag was all the way off, mag dial at minimum, and spool tension was tight enough to not allow side to side movement (that's the way it came out of the box).

Any ideas? Maybe just needs the internals lubed since it's been sitting in a box for years?

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Help with my Sol

Post by Slazmo » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:28 am

It'll either be the clutch yolk not sliding down and the pinion gear floating a little over the spool pin as the oils internally can dry out especially in these air conditioning heavy shops or whilst in those cabinets that have halogen down lighting. Pull the spool out and apply a small drop of oil on the shaft + where the brass pinion traverses the pinion bearing and reinsert.

The reel should have line on it otherwise silly intermittent things like this can happen if there isn't working pressures on certain parts.

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:37 am

I think try it with the drag done up normally first.

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:03 am

It’s a no problem.
You will never feel this when fishing.
The reason for this to occur has to do with the pinion gear that has only one transversal slot to engage with the spool pin instead of the two present in more recent reels.
When you engage the spool, sometimes the pin just stays outside the slot but once you turn the handle and there is some tension on the line, it will engage right away.

Have fun with the Sol

Ps: adding some tension to the spool will do the trick also.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:52 am

Slazmo wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:28 am
It'll either be the clutch yolk not sliding down and the pinion gear floating a little over the spool pin as the oils internally can dry out especially in these air conditioning heavy shops or whilst in those cabinets that have halogen down lighting. Pull the spool out and apply a small drop of oil on the shaft + where the brass pinion traverses the pinion bearing and reinsert.

The reel should have line on it otherwise silly intermittent things like this can happen if there isn't working pressures on certain parts.
When I had the spool out it looked like the pinion moved in and out properly. Never saw it stick or anything. It also had a little bit of oil on it as well as the spool shaft/pin. I kind of figured maybe without line and without having it setup for real fishing conditions it might not operate correctly.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:55 am

y2k88 wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:37 am
I think try it with the drag done up normally first.
I just tried that and it seemed to happen less, also when I played with spool tension but I think it wont be a problem when there is line on the spool and resistance on the line from a lure the more I think about it. We'll see, I'll try to get it out on the water this week and see if it changes anything.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:59 am

Carlos Carrapiço wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:03 am
It’s a no problem.
You will never feel this when fishing.
The reason for this to occur has to do with the pinion gear that has only one transversal slot to engage with the spool pin instead of the two present in more recent reels.
When you engage the spool, sometimes the pin just stays outside the slot but once you turn the handle and there is some tension on the line, it will engage right away.

Have fun with the Sol

Ps: adding some tension to the spool will do the trick also.

You know, When I had the spool out and I was looking at the pinion gear I knew something looked different from some of my other reels. Your right it does only have the one slot instead of two and that would make sense because it would have further to travel and without tension I could see it staying outside the slot. Once I put my finger on the spool and rotate it pops right into place so with line and a lure on the other end I believe you are right and it wont be a problem.

Thanks, I just didnt want to mess up a nice new reel.

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:04 pm

Welcome to the Sol Club. Please post pics. viewtopic.php?f=27&t=79437 Doesn't have to be modified.
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:17 pm

spencerinstl wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:04 pm
Welcome to the Sol Club. Please post pics. viewtopic.php?f=27&t=79437 Doesn't have to be modified.
I will. It was actually that thread that got me looking lol. I really like the purple spools on the Sol for some reason.

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:05 pm

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:17 pm
spencerinstl wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:04 pm
I will. It was actually that thread that got me looking lol. I really like the purple spools on the Sol for some reason.
There are 3 different purple spools that will fit the Sol.
honey-comb_spool_zonda03.jpg
honey-comb_spool_zonda03.jpg (46.84 KiB) Viewed 8482 times
Attachments
purple cosugi.jpg
purple cosugi.jpg (35.4 KiB) Viewed 8482 times
daiwa_alphas_svspool_purple_2.jpg
daiwa_alphas_svspool_purple_2.jpg (20.12 KiB) Viewed 8482 times

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:30 pm

I want that honeycomb spool for my Zonda, but :whistle: are they spendy...

Plus the stock one is sweeeeeet...
This is the way.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:52 pm

spencerinstl wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:05 pm

There are 3 different purple spools that will fit the Sol....
Let's not forget the 7 gram One Eyed One Horned Flying Purple People Eater...
Screen Shot 2019-07-07 at 9.46.52 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-07-07 at 9.46.52 PM.png (123.37 KiB) Viewed 8455 times

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:35 pm

Well which one do you s the best?

Honestly I could probably only buy the sv105 without feeling like I was spending too much money.

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:54 am

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:35 pm

Honestly I could probably only buy the sv105 without feeling like I was spending too much money.
Better spool option for all around and you can spend the extra money in a carbon drag and a fast gear set (6.8:1 of 7.2:1)

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:13 am

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:35 pm

Yeah, doing upgrades on a reel can get expensive fast if you don't watch what you spend.