Curado DC levelwind not moving.

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
spaf
Angler
Angler

Curado DC levelwind not moving.

Post by spaf » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:38 pm

I used my Curado DC for the first time yesterday and ran into a problem...

It worked fine for the first hour or so, but then the levelwind stopped moving when the handle was engaged. I'm not sure if it was a result of the thumbar not fully re-engaging or something else. The levelwind was all the way to the right side (rh reel) and there was a subtle clicking when the handle was turned, but no movement.

When I got it home, it appeared to be fine again. Although I wasn't able to cast to properly test it.

Has anyone ever had this issue?

Sore Thumb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Curado DC levelwind not moving.

Post by Sore Thumb » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:08 pm

Probably dirt in worm mechanism. They "disengage" to prevent damage. Try stopping it with your finger to replicate problem.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:17 pm

Turn it over and look at the worm shaft of the level wind, turn the handle to see if it still revolves?

If it doesn't that's an interesting one - I wonder if the internal oscillating cog on the handle has split (green arrow) or lost some teeth? (arrows in blue how it directly interacts with the level wind).
IMG_20190702_100904.jpg
LW cogs
IMG_20190702_100904.jpg (83.18 KiB) Viewed 10606 times
If all that is OK I'd dare say that the pawl cap on the back of the level wind guide may have come loose and the pawl may have slid out a touch rendering the level wind inactive. Check to see if that cap is loose? Or the pawl has dug into the shaft possibly?

Pointed in pink and in that direction.
IMG_20190702_101301.jpg
Pawl cap
IMG_20190702_101301.jpg (73.47 KiB) Viewed 10606 times
Last edited by Slazmo on Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:06 pm

If it's new, take/send it back to where you bought it, and let them fix it. It should be under warranty.

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Winstondry » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:51 pm

Make sure part no. 4874 in the schematic is not loose. I just replaced one with a colored one on one of my reels this afternoon and didn’t tighten it enough, the guide wasn’t moving. Once I tightened it down it resolved the issue.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:53 pm

Proper spacing for the pawl inside the level wind is critical. If there are too many shims the cap will not tighten correctly. Without seeing the reel it's hard to say what is going on. More than likely it is a simple fix.

The clicking could be an issue with something that was stuck in the worm shaft line a line clipping, dirt or something jammed in the track. There is a clutch on the drive shaft to prevent damage to the worm and idle gears should something get stuck in there. The reel is covered under warranty. You can send it in for repair, or exchange it (depending on the dealer where it was purchased).

DaisyZillion
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DaisyZillion » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:57 pm

Slazmo wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:17 pm
Turn it over and look at the worm shaft of the level wind, turn the handle to see if it still revolves?

If it doesn't that's an interesting one - I wonder if the internal oscillating cog on the handle has split (green arrow) or lost some teeth? (arrows in blue how it directly interacts with the level wind).
IMG_20190702_100904.jpg

If all that is OK I'd dare say that the pawl cap on the back of the level wind guide may have come loose and the pawl may have slid out a touch rendering the level wind inactive. Check to see if that cap is loose? Or the pawl has dug into the shaft possibly?

Pointed in pink and in that direction.

IMG_20190702_101301.jpg
Awesome tutorial there Andrew, quality 👌🏽

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:08 am

Bantam1 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:53 pm
Proper spacing for the pawl inside the level wind is critical. If there are too many shims the cap will not tighten correctly. Without seeing the reel it's hard to say what is going on. More than likely it is a simple fix.

The clicking could be an issue with something that was stuck in the worm shaft line a line clipping, dirt or something jammed in the track. There is a clutch on the drive shaft to prevent damage to the worm and idle gears should something get stuck in there. The reel is covered under warranty. You can send it in for repair, or exchange it (depending on the dealer where it was purchased).
This is from the Shimano expert. Send it in for repair or exchange.

bigBoils
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by bigBoils » Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:51 pm

My Curado 150XG worm drive not moving either. At first I thought I twinked it pulling hard on a snag but I did use my hand on the line pulling and got it off the dock anchor line with my swimsuit lure hook bent straight. Then I was thinking it's jammed up with sand when I set it down but I was careful not do put it in the sand but I snagged the rods behind me casting lol. Ah, that was it cleaned the worm drive and pawl and and line guide assembly and rod it slides on with a Q-tip and alcohol. Used Dry Lubricate (bike chain Lubricant) after cleaning. Now it's moving good. Didn't have to tear the reel down yet.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:19 am

bigBoils wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:51 pm
Used Dry Lubricate (bike chain Lubricant) after cleaning.
This is the way! Using Finish Line Ceramic Dry chain lube myself now on all reels and it works too well at keeping dust and debris out of the shaft and pawl.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:40 am

I had a similar problem on one of my Chronarchs--it was 5383 on the schematic that Slazmo posted. I forgot what it's called, but one of the 2 prongs/teeth was broken and the line guide was stuck stationary.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:49 pm

godshippy wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:40 am
I forgot what it's called, but one of the 2 prongs/teeth was broken and the line guide was stuck stationary.
Called a Level Wind Pawl. Strange for that to break off, usually quite resilient and even damage the shaft and stay in one piece.