ICAST 2019

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: ICAST 2019

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:23 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:35 am
Free-floating 1016 spool would work in either, whether its the steez a or tatula 100-basically the same frame with slight differences. I suppose it would be closer to the steez a, if given the spool with no long shaft, though. 70 size seems to indicate an all-new aluminum frame and brass gears, but similar to the Steez CT. How much sense would it make to use the current zillion frame and put spacers in it, like they did with the alphas ct? IMO, there would be no appeal to a zillion with the current frame, then add spacers and a lower-capacity spool. Maybe there will be both? That would be the best solution!
I wouldn't be shocked, though I don't think that's what will happen. That's what they did with the 19 Millionaire though. The Zillion has always been considered the work horse of the family, so a 70 spool doesn't make a lot of sense to me anyways.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:37 am

So I just see that Daiwa USA posted this on FB.

"We are proud to announce the arrival of a new baitcasting reel combining the latest technological advances in a compact design, the all new ZILLION TW HD. The definition of heavy duty in a compact frame, now with a G1 Duralumin Deep Spool for a Lighter- yet stronger design. Equipped with a solid Aluminum Frame and Aluminum Side Plate, Magsealed Ball Bearing, Ultimate Tournament Drag (UTD), easy grip EVA handle knobs and our industry leading T-Wing System (TWS) for longer casts. If you are looking for the ultimate in heavy duty, look no further. On the way to dealers NOW!"

What the...I thought these were on close out in JP?

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:50 am

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:37 am

"We are proud to announce the arrival of a new baitcasting reel combining the latest technological advances in a compact design, the all new ZILLION TW HD. The definition of heavy duty in a compact frame, now with a G1 Duralumin Deep Spool for a Lighter- yet stronger design. Equipped with a solid Aluminum Frame and Aluminum Side Plate, Magsealed Ball Bearing, Ultimate Tournament Drag (UTD), easy grip EVA handle knobs and our industry leading T-Wing System (TWS) for longer casts. If you are looking for the ultimate in heavy duty, look no further. On the way to dealers NOW!"

Unless there is something that I am missing, soooo disappointed. :crying:

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:58 am

M Perry wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:20 pm
I know Daiwa has multiple new models to debut..
New Daiwa Models...
New Daiwa Models.jpeg
New Daiwa Models.jpeg (48.27 KiB) Viewed 7088 times
haha..jkjk..Still hoping for the best!

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:04 am

So it's going to be Zillion HD ct sv tw?
There's more letter's than in trunk of car from 80's :D
But, Heavy Duty version of 70's size? ...Ok, aluminium + brass => HD...
But if true, I wan't to buy this reasonable(?) priced ct Steez look like, made of aluminium and with brass gears!

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:58 am

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:58 am
M Perry wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:20 pm
I know Daiwa has multiple new models to debut..
New Daiwa Models...

New Daiwa Models.jpeg

haha..jkjk..Still hoping for the best!
Flat. Just like their new Zillion. :lol:
<")))><{

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:14 am

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:37 am

Is it this reel?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:22 am

I believe it's an entirely new Zillion HD, built on the Steez A frame, but with brass gears. Anyone find any leaked pics yet? O:)
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:28 am

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:52 am

So its back to USA gets the leftovers, huh? I thought the globalization would have brought that reel to the US back in '17, but thats obviously not the case.....stay tuned, if theres an HD, then I think there will be a standard Zillion, too.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:53 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:22 am
I believe it's an entirely new Zillion HD, built on the Steez A frame, but with brass gears. Anyone find any leaked pics yet? O:)
If it's the same one listed on Daiwa USA website as "new", it's the same model as in Japan. Both have a 1520 spool which goes in a 36mm platform. The picture Daiwa USA posted looks just like the JP version.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:13 pm

Zillion CT and HD maybe? The CT will be probably be Tatula 100 based but I'm hoping for the Steez A platform to trickle down. The HD seems alright with the new style recessed mag dial side plate and the frame milling reminiscent of the old TD Zillion. Too bad it has a fixed inductor. I would love to see a more distance orientated Magforce Z spool in it for bombing frogs and throwing big baits.

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:26 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:53 am
hoohoorjoo wrote:
If it's the same one listed on Daiwa USA website as "new", it's the same model as in Japan. Both have a 1520 spool which goes in a 36mm platform. The picture Daiwa USA posted looks just like the JP version.
Exacty .... Daiwa USA has had Zillion HD model for the last few years. However only in 7.3:1 ratio.

Here it is: https://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_p ... s_id=11516

Tackle trap actually had these in custom ratios and would put in a 6.3:1 or 5.5:1 ratio gear set if you wanted. Which in my opinion is what these reals are meant to be offered in.

The new JDM version comes in all 3 gear ratios... but looks like they are not bringing over the 5:5.1.

Here is the new One on Daiwa USA web page.
Keep in mind they have had a HD version in USA for awhile ...about 3 years ... they have just updated and added a gear ratio. Wish they would of added the 5.5:1. As this reel is made for the Big Plug 1 oz+ Lure... swim baits and A-Rigs.

But this is not the new one I am speaking of and this has been on Daiwa USA website for over a week.

http://www.daiwa.com/us/contents/reels/ ... index.html

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:42 pm

E73Bass wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:26 pm
Aquaftm45 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:53 am
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Exacty .... Daiwa USA has had Zillion HD model for the last few years. However only in 7.3:1 ratio.

Here it is: https://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_p ... s_id=11516

Tackle trap actually had these in custom ratios and would put in a 6.3:1 or 5.5:1 ratio gear set if you wanted. Which in my opinion is what these reals are meant to be offered in.

The new JDM version comes in all 3 gear ratios... but looks like they are not bringing over the 5:5.1.

Here is the new One on Daiwa USA web page.
Keep in mind they have had a HD version in USA for awhile ...about 3 years ... they have just updated and added a gear ratio. Wish they would of added the 5.5:1. As this reel is made for the Big Plug 1 oz+ Lure... swim baits and A-Rigs.

But this is not the new one I am speaking of and this has been on Daiwa USA website for over a week.

http://www.daiwa.com/us/contents/reels/ ... index.html
Good information...I don't follow Daiwa USA too closely, so I was a bit confused by the "new" label on the website and Daiwa FB picture of the "new" HD looking just like the existing HD.
They do mention the word "compact" on the FB post, but that could be a relative phrase compared to the Lexa.

I can tell you one thing. Whomever is in charge of thier new USDM product hype train, needs to get off at the next station. :?

Poisson
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Poisson » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:59 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:42 pm
I can tell you one thing. Whomever is in charge of thier new USDM product hype train, needs to get off at the next station. :?
While there has to be a better spot somewhere in the middle, I'd rather sweat this thread out in the dark than spend months shaking my head at a deluge of outlandish claims like we've seen in the past from some other products ](*,)