Enough with the tackle. LETS SEE SOME FISH!

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 411
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:49 am
Contact:

Re: Enough with the tackle. LETS SEE SOME FISH!

Post by ShimanoFan » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:25 pm

RedFish are fun!

A friend caught this 58" just days ago on the east coast of Florida...

Image
Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?

JBcrankaddict
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1606
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:59 am
Location: Pensacola, FL

Re: Enough with the tackle. LETS SEE SOME FISH!

Post by JBcrankaddict » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:39 pm

Solid fish. Definitely plenty of big reds out there to catch, since they aren’t harvested. We have a bridge here where it’s a pretty easy to catch 15+ bulls a night. It’s all relative to the size of tackle used though, and enjoy the lighter tackle lure fishing for them much more than the heavy tackle and live bait most use for bulls. Combining two of my favorite things, bass fishing and saltwater fishing, doesn’t get much better, although reds aren’t even my favorite inshore species to catch....to easy :lol:

JBcrankaddict
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1606
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:59 am
Location: Pensacola, FL

Re: Enough with the tackle. LETS SEE SOME FISH!

Post by JBcrankaddict » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:50 pm

These big Speckled trout are completely different animals than the smaller ones. This gator and her equally large buddy followed a hooked redfish at the start of the day, so I ended up staying and fishing through the area two more times. Next time through, they followed the lure to the kayak and swam away [-( :-k Switched lure to something bigger(Rapala Twitchin Minnow) and decided I needed to make them react to something, so I brought it through where I thought they had been hanging out, walking it as fast as I couldn’t just under the surface, and she destroyed it! Awesome watching them turn and flash on your lure as they attack it. Super pumped to get her to bite after she saw me twice, something that just doesn’t happen! She went 29 3/4” and just under 9lbs. Third biggest I’ve caught and will be getting a replica made of this beautiful fish since I got some good pics and measurements, and she was released healthy.

Image

Polkfish1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:58 pm

Re: Enough with the tackle. LETS SEE SOME FISH!

Post by Polkfish1 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:25 pm

JBcrankaddict wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:50 pm
These big Speckled trout are completely different animals than the smaller ones. This gator and her equally large buddy followed a hooked redfish at the start of the day, so I ended up staying and fishing through the area two more times. Next time through, they followed the lure to the kayak and swam away [-( :-k Switched lure to something bigger(Rapala Twitchin Minnow) and decided I needed to make them react to something, so I brought it through where I thought they had been hanging out, walking it as fast as I couldn’t just under the surface, and she destroyed it! Awesome watching them turn and flash on your lure as they attack it. Super pumped to get her to bite after she saw me twice, something that just doesn’t happen! She went 29 3/4” and just under 9lbs. Third biggest I’ve caught and will be getting a replica made of this beautiful fish since I got some good pics and measurements, and she was released healthy.

Image
Wow; nice trout. I was able to get myself into a couple schools one morning this past week on a beach. I'm a total novice in salt water. I was able to land a few of these. Different size class, but I was about as excited as a 12 year old. :big grin:
Attachments
trout.jpg
trout.jpg (77.29 KiB) Viewed 3784 times

JBcrankaddict
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1606
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:59 am
Location: Pensacola, FL

Re: Enough with the tackle. LETS SEE SOME FISH!

Post by JBcrankaddict » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:53 am

Polkfish1 wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:25 pm


Wow; nice trout. I was able to get myself into a couple schools one morning this past week on a beach. I'm a total novice in salt water. I was able to land a few of these. Different size class, but I was about as excited as a 12 year old. :big grin:
Very nice =D> Getting into some schools is a lot of fun, very aggressive when schooled up. Really cool you get them off the beaches! Always wanted to walk the shoreline and cast for them, but they don’t live in the gulf here. Do you have Snook on your beaches as well?

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 411
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:49 am
Contact:

Re: Enough with the tackle. LETS SEE SOME FISH!

Post by ShimanoFan » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:27 am

Last edited by ShimanoFan on Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1650
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Enough with the tackle. LETS SEE SOME FISH!

Post by toddmc » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:50 am

JBcrankaddict wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:50 pm
These big Speckled trout are completely different animals than the smaller ones. This gator and her equally large buddy followed a hooked redfish at the start of the day, so I ended up staying and fishing through the area two more times. Next time through, they followed the lure to the kayak and swam away [-( :-k Switched lure to something bigger(Rapala Twitchin Minnow) and decided I needed to make them react to something, so I brought it through where I thought they had been hanging out, walking it as fast as I couldn’t just under the surface, and she destroyed it! Awesome watching them turn and flash on your lure as they attack it. Super pumped to get her to bite after she saw me twice, something that just doesn’t happen! She went 29 3/4” and just under 9lbs. Third biggest I’ve caught and will be getting a replica made of this beautiful fish since I got some good pics and measurements, and she was released healthy.

Image
That is an awesome trout! The fish that you catch after they see you are so much more rewarding. I spooked a shallow clearwater bass in one of the golf course lakes in back of the house last Tuesday night. That fish is always in the same place. I was gently creeping up on it when it spooked heavily after seeing my shadow in a floodlight. I pitched my big swimbait ten feet in front of it with little hope of catching it also. She ate it! I wish that I would have had somebody to chest bump because I got a little overexcited! :lol:

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 411
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:49 am
Contact:

Re: Enough with the tackle. LETS SEE SOME FISH!

Post by ShimanoFan » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:59 am

I agree Todd. That is the largest one I have ever seen. Beautiful fish.

One day a friend's boat broke down and we had to camp out overnight on an island off coast of Tampa, and when I awoke at sunrise and rubbed my eyes I could not believe what I was seeing. The water was boiling as far as I could see with sea trout. Anything I threw out there was immediately grabbed. It was insane!

But none were as big as this one. Well done JB!
Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1650
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Enough with the tackle. LETS SEE SOME FISH!

Post by toddmc » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:01 pm

ShimanoFan wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:25 pm
RedFish are fun!

A friend caught this 58" just days ago on the east coast of Florida...

Image
The look on his face is almost as good as the fish! :lol:

Polkfish1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:58 pm

Re: Enough with the tackle. LETS SEE SOME FISH!

Post by Polkfish1 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:38 pm

JBcrankaddict wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:53 am
Polkfish1 wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:25 pm


Wow; nice trout. I was able to get myself into a couple schools one morning this past week on a beach. I'm a total novice in salt water. I was able to land a few of these. Different size class, but I was about as excited as a 12 year old. :big grin:
Very nice =D> Getting into some schools is a lot of fun, very aggressive when schooled up. Really cool you get them off the beaches! Always wanted to walk the shoreline and cast for them, but they don’t live in the gulf here. Do you have Snook on your beaches as well?

That was on Sanibel Island. I take my daughters there every summer to swim and collect shells. I sneak off to fish every chance I get. Yes; I’ve been able to catch snook on those same beaches. But not this year. Last year that area was hammered by that algal bloom. I don’t know if that had anything to do with it. Every guy I spoke with complained that the fishing was worse this year. I couldn’t tell and maybe that’s because I just fool around and throw anything and everything in my box until I catch something. This year it was trout, mackerel, and all kinds of sharks. I lost 3 nice jerkbaits and 4 jdm plugs to sharks. On multiple occasions the smaller sharks would swim right up to me and investigate after I waded way out. Larger ones would keep a 6-8 ft distance. That’s not happened in previous years.

Aquaftm45
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 771
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:50 pm

Re: Enough with the tackle. LETS SEE SOME FISH!

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:46 pm

Polkfish1 wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:38 pm

That was on Sanibel Island. I take my daughters there every summer to swim and collect shells. I sneak off to fish every chance I get. Yes; I’ve been able to catch snook on those same beaches. But not this year. Last year that area was hammered by that algal bloom. I don’t know if that had anything to do with it. Every guy I spoke with complained that the fishing was worse this year. I couldn’t tell and maybe that’s because I just fool around and throw anything and everything in my box until I catch something. This year it was trout, mackerel, and all kinds of sharks. I lost 3 nice jerkbaits and 4 jdm plugs to sharks. On multiple occasions the smaller sharks would swim right up to me and investigate after I waded way out. Larger ones would keep a 6-8 ft distance. That’s not happened in previous years.
That area is my home turf, hell I was married in front of the Sanibel Lighthouse on the beach (that didn't last :lol: ). Your right, the algae bloom took a toll last year, but it has bounced back nicely this year. It is catch and release for all primary species right now (Snook,Redfish, Trout). But fish are abundent. Just returned from a Memorial Day weekend trip and although I was only able to do Saltwater one day, it was a good day, (12 snook, 6 reds) fishing early and late tides with one of my buddies and my daughter. They just had the Calcutta tournament out of South Seas Plantation this weekend and by thier guage, it was the best tournament to date. (180 inches won, bieng able to measure 2 Snook, 2 Redfish, and 2 ladyfish) A couple of pics from the trip...
Bieng a tackle enthusiest and now getting re-bit by the saltwater bug, my eyes are on a 19 Certate 4000 (with an added SC handle) to pair with an Evergreen Zephre Avantegarde Close Combat. Look for some of my JDM Bass gems to go on sale in the near future to finance the endevour.
rsz_1im_white_really.jpg
rsz_1im_white_really.jpg (57.97 KiB) Viewed 3700 times
rsz_snoook.jpg
rsz_snoook.jpg (67.82 KiB) Viewed 3700 times

JBcrankaddict
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1606
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:59 am
Location: Pensacola, FL

Re: Enough with the tackle. LETS SEE SOME FISH!

Post by JBcrankaddict » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:43 am

For some reason we don’t have them along the beaches here (Pensacola Beach). Drive an hour to the west to Orange beach, AL and they are everywhere in the surf. Not sure why that is, but we don’t have that bite here. Mainly just pompano, Spanish mackerel and bluefish along our beaches.

JBcrankaddict
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1606
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:59 am
Location: Pensacola, FL

Re: Enough with the tackle. LETS SEE SOME FISH!

Post by JBcrankaddict » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:47 am

toddmc wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:50 am
JBcrankaddict wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:50 pm
These big Speckled trout are completely different animals than the smaller ones. This gator and her equally large buddy followed a hooked redfish at the start of the day, so I ended up staying and fishing through the area two more times. Next time through, they followed the lure to the kayak and swam away [-( :-k Switched lure to something bigger(Rapala Twitchin Minnow) and decided I needed to make them react to something, so I brought it through where I thought they had been hanging out, walking it as fast as I couldn’t just under the surface, and she destroyed it! Awesome watching them turn and flash on your lure as they attack it. Super pumped to get her to bite after she saw me twice, something that just doesn’t happen! She went 29 3/4” and just under 9lbs. Third biggest I’ve caught and will be getting a replica made of this beautiful fish since I got some good pics and measurements, and she was released healthy.

Image
That is an awesome trout! The fish that you catch after they see you are so much more rewarding. I spooked a shallow clearwater bass in one of the golf course lakes in back of the house last Tuesday night. That fish is always in the same place. I was gently creeping up on it when it spooked heavily after seeing my shadow in a floodlight. I pitched my big swimbait ten feet in front of it with little hope of catching it also. She ate it! I wish that I would have had somebody to chest bump because I got a little overexcited! :lol:
Thanks you! So awesome when they do the unexpected. Really hard not to get pumped up about those catches! Very cool you were able to make that happen. We give fish way to much credit for being smart sometimes, lol.

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 411
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:49 am
Contact:

Re: Enough with the tackle. LETS SEE SOME FISH!

Post by ShimanoFan » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:49 am

JBcrankaddict wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:43 am
For some reason we don’t have them along the beaches here (Pensacola Beach). Drive an hour to the west to Orange beach, AL and they are everywhere in the surf. Not sure why that is, but we don’t have that bite here. Mainly just pompano, Spanish mackerel and bluefish along our beaches.
I wonder why this is JB? Really strange to hear this, but just wow on that monster trout.

Florida's regulations are really starting to payoff in the return of large sized fish no doubt. We catch some monster snook and tarpon and redfish now, but never seen a trout that big.
Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?

JBcrankaddict
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1606
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:59 am
Location: Pensacola, FL

Re: Enough with the tackle. LETS SEE SOME FISH!

Post by JBcrankaddict » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:57 am

Polkfish1 wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:38 pm
JBcrankaddict wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:53 am
Polkfish1 wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:25 pm


Wow; nice trout. I was able to get myself into a couple schools one morning this past week on a beach. I'm a total novice in salt water. I was able to land a few of these. Different size class, but I was about as excited as a 12 year old. :big grin:
Very nice =D> Getting into some schools is a lot of fun, very aggressive when schooled up. Really cool you get them off the beaches! Always wanted to walk the shoreline and cast for them, but they don’t live in the gulf here. Do you have Snook on your beaches as well?

That was on Sanibel Island. I take my daughters there every summer to swim and collect shells. I sneak off to fish every chance I get. Yes; I’ve been able to catch snook on those same beaches. But not this year. Last year that area was hammered by that algal bloom. I don’t know if that had anything to do with it. Every guy I spoke with complained that the fishing was worse this year. I couldn’t tell and maybe that’s because I just fool around and throw anything and everything in my box until I catch something. This year it was trout, mackerel, and all kinds of sharks. I lost 3 nice jerkbaits and 4 jdm plugs to sharks. On multiple occasions the smaller sharks would swim right up to me and investigate after I waded way out. Larger ones would keep a 6-8 ft distance. That’s not happened in previous years.
Cool deal. Dad gets to fish for new species, kids get to play, can’t beat it! Know all about those toothy fish, that can get very aggravating. Those sharks sound like a big problem though! Hopefully that water quality keeps improving, you have a beautiful area down there with some great fishing!

Post Reply