El Salto Recommendations??

Is there any other species?
chriso916
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

El Salto Recommendations??

Post by chriso916 » Mon May 27, 2019 10:06 pm

TT familia -

Getting a little bored of margaritas this side of the border so decided it would be a good idea to check out the scene at the coveted Lake El Salto Mexico :big grin: Actually, the better half proposed it as an anniversary trip so we're starting to look at the various outfitters online. She's interested in Mazatlan but that's obviously more of a bonus to the fishing

Figured while I'm doing research what better place than here to ask the experts! If anyone has any experience with El Salto I'd love to hear your thoughts and recommendations - lodging/guides, gear (MUST haves, what to bring :?: :?: , how many combos, travel tips all much appreciated. Likely a 3 night stay at one of the local outfitters...Ideally would prefer to bring my own gear, reels at a min, but likely rods too....maybe a good excuse for a 2pc swimbait rod lol.

Thanks in advance!
Chris

Rodster14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: El Salto Recommendations??

Post by Rodster14 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:18 am

I would recommend the Anglers Inn. My wife sent me there for my 50th birthday and it was incredible. The fishing is out of this world. If your wife is going, she would appreciate the beautiful scenery, spa, delicious food and a staff that is first class. We’ve been to Hawaii, Europe, the Caribbean and lots of other places. Other than South Africa, the trip to El Salto was my favorite trip. My son and I are scheduled to go back in the fall. 80% of their customers are repeat customers. I would go every year if I could. As far as fishing, you’ll need to take your own reels. They have St Croix rods. This time, I plan to take my own rods. For tackle, take plenty of black and blue 10 inch power worms, magnum zoom lizards (watermelon red), 6 inch wacky rigged Senkos in watermelon red and black and blue. Take a Rico popper (bigger one in bone), big whopper plotter, Chatterbaits, jigs, and some lipless. We caught the most numbers on a Red Eyed shad (including my son’s 11 pounder). If you Google Tackle Warehouse El Salto, it will show you a list of specific lures in specific colors. Take a good digital scale. As far as guides, I plan to ask for one of the younger ones that know how to take good video with your phone. The footage I saw from a few other anglers was stunning. I promise you it is a trip you will never forget. Good luck!

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:22 am

Angler's Inn is it.. Zander wrote them up a while ago:

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewanglersinn.html
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

chriso916
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by chriso916 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:01 pm

Rodster14 wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:18 am
I would recommend the Anglers Inn. My wife sent me there for my 50th birthday and it was incredible. The fishing is out of this world. If your wife is going, she would appreciate the beautiful scenery, spa, delicious food and a staff that is first class. We’ve been to Hawaii, Europe, the Caribbean and lots of other places. Other than South Africa, the trip to El Salto was my favorite trip. My son and I are scheduled to go back in the fall. 80% of their customers are repeat customers. I would go every year if I could. As far as fishing, you’ll need to take your own reels. They have St Croix rods. This time, I plan to take my own rods. For tackle, take plenty of black and blue 10 inch power worms, magnum zoom lizards (watermelon red), 6 inch wacky rigged Senkos in watermelon red and black and blue. Take a Rico popper (bigger one in bone), big whopper plotter, Chatterbaits, jigs, and some lipless. We caught the most numbers on a Red Eyed shad (including my son’s 11 pounder). If you Google Tackle Warehouse El Salto, it will show you a list of specific lures in specific colors. Take a good digital scale. As far as guides, I plan to ask for one of the younger ones that know how to take good video with your phone. The footage I saw from a few other anglers was stunning. I promise you it is a trip you will never forget. Good luck!
Thanks for the the intel Rodster! The trip is booked and I'm being sent off to Anglers Inn as well. I'll be sure to take your tackle rec's into consideration. What time of year was your trip? I'm heading out 4th of July weekend so just before/during the start of rainy season. I'm planning to bring my own rods and reels but I will likely have a flight change which does make me a little nervous about checking rods but I guess that's the price to play. Will report back (hopefully with some picture worthy fish) - appreciate the insight!

chriso916
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by chriso916 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:05 pm

Cal wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:22 am

Thanks Cal, I found that article and was curious if the positive review was still relevant after all these years. After much research and the endorsements here, I'm fully confident in our choice for the upcoming trip to El Salto via Angler's Inn :big grin:

Rodster14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rodster14 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:48 am

Chris,
I’m so excited for you. Please let me know how it turns out. We went in October last time and we are planning on going back this year around Thanksgiving. Good Luck!

chriso916
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by chriso916 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:56 am

Thanks Rodster! Will keep ya posted!

chriso916
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by chriso916 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:59 pm

Cal wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:22 am

Hey Cal,

Do you have any suggestions on logistics? I’ve heard some will check their tackle(baits/hooks/line/weight) and carry on reels.

I run a Loomis tackle bag that holds all the various 3700 size variants. If you and Zander were to go back how would you guys pack? Not too confident checking my Loomis soft duffle style tackle bag.

I’m looking to bring my own rods too but they’ll be in a hard case. Curious how many rods you’d suggest bringing

Thanks!

C

Rodster - love to have you chime in as well

Rodster14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rodster14 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:34 am

The last time I took a soft Loomis duffel bag (had to check it because of the hooks) and a small carry on. Anglers Inn launders your clothes each day, so you can pack light. The Loomis duffel served as my “tackle bag” on the boat and wasn’t that great for that purpose. This time, I bought a Tackle Warehouse Tackle Angler backpack. I can pack my clothes in there along with my tackle. It will be easy to maneuver through crowded airports. It has been packed (the tackle anyway) pretty much since I got back from the first trip. As for rods, I would carry as many multipurpose rods as possible. I plan to take a Loomis Conquest 7 ft MH for Senkos, lipless, topwater, etc. I will take a NRX 873CRR for big worms, jigs, Keitech Swimbait. I’ll take one 7 ft medium spinning rod. You may prefer heavier rods. If you find yourself needing something else, they will have rods there. I will take an 8 ft G Loomis crankbait rod for throwing crankbaits and maybe some glide baits. There isn’t a lot of room in the boat for tons of rods, so I would keep it lean. I hope that helps.
Attachments
5BA7A602-C9F8-42B2-9DE9-D99C029540EE.jpeg
5BA7A602-C9F8-42B2-9DE9-D99C029540EE.jpeg (74.76 KiB) Viewed 15955 times

PeteRobbins
Angler
Angler

Post by PeteRobbins » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:56 am

Hey Chris,

I run the social media for Anglers Inn and will be happy to give you general info on booking, tackle prep, logistics, etc.
Additionally, I'm in touch with the guides just about every week, so I can fill you in on current conditions right before you go. I've been to El Salto and Picachos about 15 times, and I know that even under similar water levels and seasons the best lures can vary substantially.

I also have an article I've written on the best strategies for traveling with rods. It's part art, part science, part crossing your fingers.

Happy to answer here or you can email me any time at pete_robbins AT hotmail DOT com

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:26 am

I’d like you to take a Z2020 with you.
That would be great and I could vicariously enjoy that feeling of big baits big gear bigger fish
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:52 am

PeteRobbins wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:56 am
Hey Chris,

I run the social media for Anglers Inn and will be happy to give you general info on booking, tackle prep, logistics, etc.
Additionally, I'm in touch with the guides just about every week, so I can fill you in on current conditions right before you go. I've been to El Salto and Picachos about 15 times, and I know that even under similar water levels and seasons the best lures can vary substantially.

I also have an article I've written on the best strategies for traveling with rods. It's part art, part science, part crossing your fingers.

Happy to answer here or you can email me any time at pete_robbins AT hotmail DOT com
I had Pete chime in since he has a bit more current info on the establishment. Thanks Pete!
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

PeteRobbins
Angler
Angler

Post by PeteRobbins » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:00 am

Always happy to talk about my favorite place on earth

chriso916
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by chriso916 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:12 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions fellas! It's close to game-time and I'll be flying out on July 4th. So far I've gotten the terminal tackle and bait situation pretty much nailed down based on what I've read online and the reports and suggestions from Tammi at Angler's Inn who's been super helpful.

Still a few decisions to make on what rods I'll be transporting and which rods I'll borrow from AI. Will follow up with a recap after the trip and hopefully have some good pics to share. Wish me luck and thanks again for the help!

chriso916
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by chriso916 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:41 pm

Hey guys,

Back stateside late Sunday and I have to say El Salto definitely lives up to the legend! Angler's Inn is a great lodge and the service and experience were fantastic. Leading into the trip, Tammi from AI provided regular updates and gear suggestions so I had a good idea of what to bring. From the moment I passed customs in MZT, I was greeted by one of the AI employees with a sign and they carried my tackle bag and rod case to their 8 passenger van which was packed full of cold beverages for the 2 hour ride to Lake El Salto.

Upon arrival, I was greeted with a margarita and and dinner was served. That evening, I geared up after a nice steak dinner and all my gear was loaded on the boat before sunrise. I fished three days solo with my own guide, Martin, who was excellent. I asked to focus more on quality than quantity so we searched primarily for big bites.

I brought the following combinations:
Rods: Evergreen Stallion, Evergreen Stallion GT2RS, Loomis Conquest 844
Reels: Shimano Antares 70, Shimano Aldebaran 2008, Shimano Metanium 2018, Shimano Metanium ZPI ZPRIDE
I ended up borrowing one of their rods since I didn't have a heavy crankbait rod

Fishing was outstanding! I averaged about 30 fish per session (AM session 6-11, PM session 2-7), but could have likely doubled that had I fished for numbers. These bass primary forage is tilapia and all but 2 of my fish were fat, healthy, and pulled harder than any bass I've experienced. On day one I was broken off 3-4 times on very large fish using 14-16lb Sunline Shooter! When they recommend 17-20# test they are not kidding....My guide was kind enough to respool one of my reels with his own 20# test.

The evening before my final day, one of the other guests, who is a well known swimbait producer, was kind enough to provide me with a couple of his hand poured baits that he specifically made for El Salto with a special color combination and tougher plastic due to combat the hard fighting fish. I tied one on first thing and had my best session of the trip - that was something I'll never forget.

To anyone looking to fish El Salto I would highly recommend making the trip, and I would absolutely recommend Angler's Inn. I'll definitely be a repeat customer. Thanks again everyone for the advice and here's a few pics of the fish - Enjoy!