Anyone use the Bone Combat Beast or Black River rods?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
JWY
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Anyone use the Bone Combat Beast or Black River rods?

Post by JWY » Tue May 21, 2019 6:08 am

domthewon wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 6:03 am
JWY wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 7:06 pm
I was not impressed with these rods when I handled them at my local shop which pretty much had the entire range in stock at the time. To me, majority of this brand’s offerings were way too stiff.

I was also on the look out for a short and versatile travel rod for an upcoming trip and ended up getting the BRIST 510MXH from Fishman. Now it’s one of my favorites. Check it out and see if it suits your needs.
Dude, after seeing your recommendation for the Brist 510mxh I went and watched some vids. Looks like a super impressive rod. I had to have one. Got one on the way.
Excellent choice! Wait till you have a big one on the line...

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:31 pm

I don't get on TT as often as I use to , But I will give you what I know about the rods as the Bone rods are pretty much all I use,
The combat beast rods are quite a fast tip and require a different casting style. I actually have both the black river and Combat beast travel rods the 664RXH and the black river is a softer slower tip, I use it mostly for the likes of 6 inch paddle tail plastics, the combat beast has the muscle needed for close quarters snag work.
I have also used and had the Combat Beast 631Xh and 661XXH both good rods , quality components and super tough but the fast action was a bit much for me.
in the voyage line up I prefer the 684MH and XH rods over the 654M and 664H as the slightly longer rods do have a slower action and work quite well for me barramundi fishing. the 684XH has actually accounted for some quite impressive fish the biggest I have caught on it so far would be a 40lb shovel nosed shark/ray.
Bone rods can be purchased through catchbay in Singapore.

another line of rods worth looking at are the Feed Jungle Bash rods made by major Craft for Feed, feed are known for there JDM lures. these rods are 1 piece in the 6'4" to 6'6" range and also developed for tropical heavy weights,
they are available through Lure Haven in Singapore or Bait tackle Store in Brisbane, Australian and I have noticed a few ebay stores in south east Asia have them.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:46 pm

BARRAMANIAC wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:31 pm

another line of rods worth looking at are the Feed Jungle Bash rods made by major Craft for Feed, feed are known for there JDM lures. these rods are 1 piece in the 6'4" to 6'6" range and also developed for tropical heavy weights,
they are available through Lure Haven in Singapore or Bait tackle Store in Brisbane, Australian and I have noticed a few ebay stores in south east Asia have them.
JDM Tackle Heaven had a MC/Feed collaborative rod marketed for girls and that thing looked sick. Hell, I'd use it.

I just ordered the MS-X 70X for punching and big baits. It'll be my first Extra Heavy rod. Can't wait to toss some glide baits like the Gabterel and Gantia and punch some thick algae mats with that bad boy! Just have to figure out which reel to mount on it. I'm thinking a Zillion TWS 7.3 with 20# Sniper. There may be a new Morethan in my future...

The only one I won't have now is the 76BB big bait special, but I doubt I pull the trigger on that one because of the length (not into anything over 7' anymore) and the grip joint.
This is the way.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:23 am

BARRAMANIAC wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:31 pm
I don't get on TT as often as I use to , But I will give you what I know about the rods as the Bone rods are pretty much all I use,
The combat beast rods are quite a fast tip and require a different casting style. I actually have both the black river and Combat beast travel rods the 664RXH and the black river is a softer slower tip, I use it mostly for the likes of 6 inch paddle tail plastics, the combat beast has the muscle needed for close quarters snag work.
I have also used and had the Combat Beast 631Xh and 661XXH both good rods , quality components and super tough but the fast action was a bit much for me.
in the voyage line up I prefer the 684MH and XH rods over the 654M and 664H as the slightly longer rods do have a slower action and work quite well for me barramundi fishing. the 684XH has actually accounted for some quite impressive fish the biggest I have caught on it so far would be a 40lb shovel nosed shark/ray.
Bone rods can be purchased through catchbay in Singapore.

Cool, thanks for the info. My short Kuying snakehead rod is still on it's way to me. If the "short cover rod" idea works out I will really start looking at better rods. I think I am going to drop the Combat Beast as it really seems overpowered for what I am trying to do.

eklikewhoa
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by eklikewhoa » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:46 pm

I use and own quite a few of the Bone rods and enjoy them, I do try and go a rating lower than what I'm looking for though and it's worked out great.