Evergreen Super Stallion

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
kyty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Evergreen Super Stallion

Post by kyty » Tue May 07, 2019 8:58 am

I'm a little confused. How many versions of the Evergreen Super Stallions were made? I just bought my second and it has cork and eva foam both on handle. My original is all cork and I've seen some with eva on the upper and lower portion.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Evergreen Super Stallion

Post by Aquaftm45 » Tue May 07, 2019 10:37 am

Just in current production there are 4 versions of the Super Stallion:

Tournament: Split Cork/EVA
Black: Split EVA
GT: Full EVA
GT2RS: Full Cork

As far as past production, I am not sure.

Redlinerobert
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Redlinerobert » Tue May 07, 2019 12:18 pm

I have the first version, which I still consider the best one made. Evergreen tklc 71mhx

2016 Ranger Z522 Mercury Racing 300

kyty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by kyty » Tue May 07, 2019 4:08 pm

I have the first one also. This one has both cork and evo on the handle.

kyty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by kyty » Tue May 07, 2019 4:09 pm

I guess its the tournament?

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Tue May 07, 2019 4:21 pm

kyty wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 4:09 pm
I guess its the tournament?
If it looks like this..yes. If not it could be an older version.

https://www.evergreen-fishing.com/goods ... 130_1.html

kyty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by kyty » Tue May 07, 2019 6:31 pm

That's it. Hope I like it.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue May 07, 2019 8:29 pm

I should hope so! I wouldn't dare buy a rod like that. No, sir. Gotta keep the lid on that Pandora's Box! I mean just considering the quality that goes into their hardbaits alone is staggering compared to practically anyone else, so their rods must be nothing short of sublime. They certainly look the part! Unless I hit the Powerball or something I guess I'll just have to wonder.
This is the way.

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Tue May 07, 2019 9:03 pm

I just got my first Evergreen rod the Kaleido Stingray 66 and am super impressed. By today's standards it would be a little heavy for its power but wow is the workmanship on this rod fantastic and it has the "it" factor in spades. Perfect for small jigs, ned rigs, and things like that as well as being by far the best and most fun rod ive ever used for smaller crankbaits. Somehow it feels even more sensitive in my hands than my Super Eiger which is a fantastic rod. I got it from Japan with shipping for $180 so you can occasionally source these older models at good prices if your patient.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Tue May 07, 2019 10:42 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 8:29 pm
Unless I hit the Powerball or something I guess I'll just have to wonder.
I realize everyone's needs and wants are different when it comes to fishing equipment, so are many people's means and financial obligations. I am pretty (really) low on the income spectrum, but fortunatly don't have a bunch of financial obligations. I realized about 18 months ago, that I wanted really nice fishing equipment. At first I thought that was a certain brand and bought a pretty wide selections of thier offerings. Then I tried some other (very expensive) brands and recognized an entire new level of quality. Evergreen sits up there with the best of the best, and I covet the 1 rod that I own from them, and would not hesitate to buy another. With that said, no one can really say that an Evergreen rod is a good value. =; It's not.
I don't tournament fish, I don't need a rod for every different type of lure I own. If I could scroll back 18 months, I would have only bought the best of the best, even if that meant having only few combo's. I have about 5 newish condition rods sitting around that have less than 50% resell value that I completly don't use, they are really nice rods, but there they sit. I always find myself reaching for the best that I own.
Looking back, even if I could not have afforded a new $750 Evergreen rod I would have been better off buying a used one for $350 than buying a new rod from a different brand for $350. It would have saved me from having a bunch of rods sitting around that I never think about using anymore.
I don't know if there is any moral to this story.. Other than I hope you hit the Powerball PN. Don't forget about me if you do :lol:

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Wed May 08, 2019 6:07 am

kyty wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 6:31 pm
That's it. Hope I like it.
It's a different in some respects to the TKLC (full cork version). I have both rods. The TKIC feels a touch stiffer and the two rods load a bit differently. I haven't noticed any differences in sensitivity--both are excellent.

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Wed May 08, 2019 6:10 am

hungry_cow wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 9:03 pm
I just got my first Evergreen rod the Kaleido Stingray 66 and am super impressed. By today's standards it would be a little heavy for its power but wow is the workmanship on this rod fantastic and it has the "it" factor in spades. Perfect for small jigs, ned rigs, and things like that as well as being by far the best and most fun rod ive ever used for smaller crankbaits. Somehow it feels even more sensitive in my hands than my Super Eiger which is a fantastic rod. I got it from Japan with shipping for $180 so you can occasionally source these older models at good prices if your patient.
It's also very adept at drop shotting! I think I must have got mine from a similar source as yours--even after expensive shipping, the rod was a good deal compared to what I'd have to pay if I could find one for sale in the classifieds or on that auction site. ;)

The Evergreen rods are fantastic (I like everything I've fished with from the Kaleido line).

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Wed May 08, 2019 6:15 am

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 10:42 pm

I don't tournament fish, I don't need a rod for every different type of lure I own. If I could scroll back 18 months, I would have only bought the best of the best, even if that meant having only few combo's.
You, me and probably 90% of us on these forums. :lol:

I disagree slightly on the "good value" part. Given the versatility of a lot of the Evergreen rods (and MB and Shimano Poison Ultima!!!) one of those rods can easily replace 3 rods).

As far as the ones just sitting around, let us know what's for sale. :D Even though I need to sell good rods that I'm not using as well, I am always looking for a few models. ;)

kyty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by kyty » Wed May 08, 2019 6:40 am

My original Super Stallion is awesome. It's as sensitive as any rod I have. I've got a few, lol. Thanks for the input guys I appreciate it.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed May 08, 2019 8:07 am

jmb27 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 6:15 am
Aquaftm45 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 10:42 pm

I don't tournament fish, I don't need a rod for every different type of lure I own. If I could scroll back 18 months, I would have only bought the best of the best, even if that meant having only few combo's.
You, me and probably 90% of us on these forums. :lol:

I disagree slightly on the "good value" part. Given the versatility of a lot of the Evergreen rods (and MB and Shimano Poison Ultima!!!) one of those rods can easily replace 3 rods).

As far as the ones just sitting around, let us know what's for sale. :D Even though I need to sell good rods that I'm not using as well, I am always looking for a few models. ;)
The same goes for the MS-X rods and yet I still wound up buying almost the whole casting line. Of course, I can buy two or three for what one Kaleido goes for. They really are a good value, though. I'm sure they aren't on par with Ever Green, but I don't have any business knowing. They never fail to put a smile on my face at least. Maybe one day I'll pepper my arsenal with a couple of ultra high end sticks, but that would mean giving up a couple I already have, and as yet I have no idea which ones i could stand to part with.
This is the way.