A few thumbnail sketch opinions

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

A few thumbnail sketch opinions

Post by Johnny A » Wed May 01, 2019 8:31 am

1. YGK X8 22lb #1 - Used on baitcaster and spinning, not recommending AT ALL. Too wispy, fine, thin. Didn't cast well, among other things. For me, a thumbs down.

2. Evergreen USA Combat Stick 7'3" Heavy, Moderate-Fast. Let's get this out of the way, Evergreen USA isn't Evergreen International. I mean that colloquially, figuratively not literally. I've had a few and kept a couple E-I rods. Two of the keepers are a Spin Cobra, the other a Pantera. I passed a Tyrant HD down to my great-nephew.
I made a few pitches for kicks. First impressions? I was underwhelmed. I thought the action was a bit too stiff for a moderate fast. I was not happy camper. Figured I would hit a different cove. Turned the key, outboard turned right over.
That made me happier. I'd changed the spark plugs a few week backs. My first shakedown cruise didn't go too well, the plugs fell out. I was afraid of tightening them too tightly but anyway ...
Got to the first dock. First cast. Nothing. Second cast to the dock, nothing on the pitch but two pulls back to the boat and "Tap. Tap.", company's here! Set the hook with a side pull, not an upward. What a difference!
But back to the rod. The rod performed well under fire. Excellent strike detection, very comfortable fighting the fish and great power. That was better but it was just one fish. Moved down the shoreline a bit, pitched to a brushpile. Couple of feet off the brushpile, rod goes into a nice bend. Another sideways hookset and the fight is on. Couple minutes later, a solid 3 pounder is in the boat.
Was I hasty in judging the new rod? We'll see. I'm happy with the performance of my 7'1" Combat Stick for the past few years.

Thanks!
j

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: A few thumbnail sketch opinions

Post by Bronzeye » Wed May 01, 2019 3:05 pm

Johnny A wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 8:31 am
...Figured I would hit a different cove. Turned the key, outboard turned right over.
That made me happier. I'd changed the spark plugs a few week backs. My first shakedown cruise didn't go too well, the plugs fell out. I was afraid of tightening them too tightly but anyway ...
Got to the first dock. First cast. Nothing. Second cast to the dock, nothing on the pitch but two pulls back to the boat and "Tap. Tap.", company's here! Set the hook with a side pull, not an upward. What a difference!
...Moved down the shoreline a bit, pitched to a brushpile. Couple of feet off the brushpile, rod goes into a nice bend. Another sideways hookset and the fight is on. Couple minutes later, a solid 3 pounder is in the boat.
Was I hasty in judging the new rod? We'll see.
But what were you wearing?

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Wed May 01, 2019 3:36 pm

Bronzeye wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 3:05 pm
Johnny A wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 8:31 am
...Figured I would hit a different cove. Turned the key, outboard turned right over.
...Moved down the shoreline a bit, pitched to a brushpile. Couple of feet off the brushpile, rod goes into a nice bend. Another sideways hookset and the fight is on. Couple minutes later, a solid 3 pounder is in the boat.
Was I hasty in judging the new rod? We'll see.
But what were you wearing?
Wearing? If I were wearing anything, it would have been noted.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu May 02, 2019 5:43 am

=))))
This is the way.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri May 03, 2019 9:16 am

I'm glad to hear your first impression might've be wrong. I've been skeptical of these and have read mixed reviews. I want them to be successful so that maybe they'll introduce something more akin to their JDM offerings, i just didn't want to be the guinea pig.
This is the way.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sat May 04, 2019 7:23 am

[edit]

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Tue May 07, 2019 10:16 am

Used the rod for working a swimjig with a toad trailer today. I was pleasantly surprised with the sensitivity and strke detection. As noted above, it's heavy action with a moderate fast taper. There was no sloppiness or tentativeness.
We shall see.