Who is the MOST over rated ?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Drew03cmc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Who is the MOST over rated ?

Post by Drew03cmc » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:55 pm

ShimanoFan wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:35 pm
I have to wonder if Falcon made this move ahead of a sellout?
What move? Have you looked at Falcon? They have their cheap, sub-$100 rods made overseas, like everyone else. Their Jason Christie, Bucoo SR and above are made in the USA. They had to have an entry level line that was cheaper than $100 to attract customers to their brand. It makes sense from a marketing standpoint.

My highest priced rod is a Loomis SBR752 from years ago, and that rod has been great. I'm also using a couple Damiki Dark Angels and one Angel EX. I cannot complain too bad, especially since I bought them all used. The rods I've used that I did not, and do not, like are St. Croix Avids and LTB and Veritas 2.0 7'6 MH.
Andy

Texas_bullet
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Texas_bullet » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:50 pm

Guys, I am stunned to read all the knocks on Dobyns rods. I bought an original Champion crankbait rod (has Lamiglas stamped on it), and a Champion Meg Heavy rod. I was OK with them, so when I was offered some "like new" Champion Extreme 703C and 704C for a great price I jumped for them. Recently I have been fishing with weightless Senkos and have not been pleased with the sensitivity. Recycled an old Powell MAX 703C from out of the shed because TT gave a shorter version high marks for sensitivity. Dobyns have nicer cosmetics, but that's not the point. My friend just got an NRX and is out-fishing me with Senkos, so I'm thinking sell the Extremes and get one rod that is more sensitive.

Trey Kistler built me a saltwater popping rod many years ago, (he was just getting started). I have caught many, many bass on Carolina Rig with this rod, so good sensitivity. Cork's still good, guides still good...just some paint rubbed off the top by line.

Question: Do y'all think a Helium the equal of an NRX in sensitivity?

Thanks, Bill in Dallas

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:26 pm

The Helium 3 is as sensitive as anything out there, NRX included.....and they dont have those stupid Recoil guides like the NRX has. I would take one H3 over any 2 NRX you offered to give me. Poor build quality, countless reel seat failures, ugly cosmetics and split reel seats (a personal dislike). For all these reasons and few I wont go into, I will never own another production G Loomis rod. Anytime I come across a custom-built Loomis rod that is in good shape, I still attempt to buy it.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:32 pm

Texas_bullet wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:50 pm
Guys, I am stunned to read all the knocks on Dobyns rods. I bought an original Champion crankbait rod (has Lamiglas stamped on it), and a Champion Meg Heavy rod. I was OK with them, so when I was offered some "like new" Champion Extreme 703C and 704C for a great price I jumped for them. Recently I have been fishing with weightless Senkos and have not been pleased with the sensitivity.

I've repaired numerous Dobyns rods over the years... mostly guide failures, but the epoxy coating on the blank flakes off and looks bad and the cork used on the fury line is the cheapest he can buy... here see for yourself...

Cheap graphics rub right off blank:

Epoxy coating falling apart in about 2 years of use here in Florida:

Cheapest cork with fillers now gone from holes in cork... the honeymoon is over... Newness worn off in 24 months:

This type of cheap chinese rod and lousy components have no place in my rod collection! No surprise here!
Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:39 pm

Texas_bullet wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:50 pm
I bought an original Champion crankbait rod (has Lamiglas stamped on it),
I just checked the Dobyns website. There is no mention of lamiglas anywhere on the website and not for any of the rod series that I can find:

Champion XP description:

"The new standard for sensitivity, strength, weight and balance and now featuring Fuji Guides! Champion XP Series rods feature proprietary high modulus graphite blanks, Fuji Alconite guides, Kevlar wrapping, Fuji graphite reel seats and AA grade Portugal cork. Champion XP Series rods are light, strong, sensitive and perfectly balanced. Over 50 models to choose from and includes every technique specific model you could want!"

Champion Extreme XP description:

"The ultimate in sensitivity, strength, weight and balance! Champion Extreme Series rods feature proprietary high modulus graphite blanks, Fuji guides, Toray material , Kevlar wrapping, Fuji reel seats and hoods and AAA-grade Portugal cork grips. No expense was spared in assembling these rods!"

Absolutely NO mention of Lamiglas made in USA QUALITY anywhere on Dobyns website.

Lamiglas would be a huge bunch of steps up for Dobyns rods made in China. Would not be a Dobyns any more...

Real lamiglas blanks would be made in USA:

"Our USA-based, family owned & operated company is built on a commitment to provide the finest fishing rods & blanks. You'll find that our selection covers an extensive range of fisheries worldwide."

How could a chinese made Dobyns be made on a lamiglas blank in China??? Something is not adding up for me... what am I missing??? Did Dobyns license the use of the name for rods he had made in China??? Or, did he actually source some of his rod blanks from lamiglas at one time??? This is new to me and interesting to dig into.

tacklejunkie2
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tacklejunkie2 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:03 pm

Really...Apparently you didn't do your homework before you responded. The Lamiglass reference was way back when Dobyn's first started making rods.

Drew03cmc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Drew03cmc » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:58 pm

tacklejunkie2 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:03 pm
Really...Apparently you didn't do your homework before you responded. The Lamiglass reference was way back when Dobyn's first started making rods.
I see an agenda, but that's neither here nor there. My Loomis SBR752 is the most nicely appointed rod I own. It is perfect for creeking or fishing small waters with anything, sub 5/8oz.
Andy

Drew03cmc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Drew03cmc » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:00 pm

tacklejunkie2 wrote:
I see an agenda, but that's neither here nor there. My Loomis SBR752 is the most nicely appointed rod I own. It is perfect for creeking or fishing small waters with anything, sub 5/8oz.

My Dobyns FR806 I had may well have had the most clunky, awful EVA handle. It simply was uncomfortable to use.
Andy

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:08 pm

tacklejunkie2 wrote:
I knew it was referencing earlier rod, that's why I am asking. Dobyns is not worth homework really. Just one little question is enough...

What is it referencing? USA made rod blanks or just a licensed name? I'm curious more than anything else.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:45 pm

The original Champion series rods did use Lamiglas blanks. But they cheaped out and went to a Chinese OEM Chinese maunufacturer 3 or 4 yrs after that. The original Extreme series were not Lamiglas blanks and had a high failure rate, iirc.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

tacklejunkie2
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tacklejunkie2 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:58 pm

For more info, go to the archives and read the TT review for the Champion Extreme 703c.

Texas_bullet
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Texas_bullet » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:37 am

So...I must have an early production Champion rod. What I assumed was the Lamiglass CB rod was glass or glass/carbon hydrid. I'm reading in this thread that Lamiglass originally made all the blanks. I did not mean to stir up controversy. Thanks for all the responses.

Texas_bullet
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Texas_bullet » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:40 pm

I read the TT review on the DX703. The pictures show a very different rod than my later production one. Seems I have imported blanks on my DX703 & DX704. Unfortunate, but it happens in many industries. Build a great first production run, then after rave reviews cheapen the product to meet a price point. Caveat emptor.

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:10 am

Texas_bullet wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:40 pm
I read the TT review on the DX703. The pictures show a very different rod than my later production one. Seems I have imported blanks on my DX703 & DX704. Unfortunate, but it happens in many industries. Build a great first production run, then after rave reviews cheapen the product to meet a price point. Caveat emptor.
Exactly! And, then pay sponsor money to a former patriot who turned his back on U.S. labor to hawk them.

Sad to say, but there is zero credibility for this type of thing here in USA. Shame this is what we have come to. Wish we could reverse this situation and stop this sort of thing because people like this are contributing to this:

Last edited by ShimanoFan on Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Poisson
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Poisson » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:52 am

ShimanoFan wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:10 am
Sad to say, but there is zero credibility for this type of thing here in USA. Shame this is what we have come to. Wish we could reverse this situation and stop this sort of thing because people like this are contributing to this:

Whooooaaaaa what happened in 1929? The graph goes way up, must have been good times right?