Inductors: Type R+ vs Mag Z

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
fishingkat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Inductors: Type R+ vs Mag Z

Post by fishingkat » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:16 pm

Hi everyone.

I am in the process of tinkering with some spools.

Was wondering if say a 1016 magz and a 1012 magz...34mm spools
If i replaced the inductor, spring and centri block to type R+ would it make any difference casting wise?

Also with regards to springs what is stiffer? I m looking at the most stiff one to play with lol.
I have some existing ideas....
1) Stock RCS magz
2) HLC Og zillion
3) Type R+
4) 2020 size spring

MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Inductors: Type R+ vs Mag Z

Post by MountainMan 83 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:42 pm

Not much help on what you're asking, but I recently installed an R+ spring on a SV105 spool and it opened that thing up quite a bit( that's mostly what they're advertised for). Was getting really good distance on 3/8-1/2 on a Med travel rod, mind you. I'm interested in others opinions.

I have a 1016 in a T3 MX that blows my mind. Couldn't imagine it much better until your question got me thinking. Hope others have tried the swap.

fishingkat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishingkat » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:25 pm

Thanks MM.

Just got my inductor it won't fit in either of my 1016s :(

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:19 am

You have to keep the inductor blocks with their respective spools, they aren't interchangeable. The RCS spools (1010, 1012, 1016) use different blocks than Magforce spools so that makes swapping spools between the two impossible. You can swap springs though, the Type R+ and HLC spools will be stiffer.

fishingkat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishingkat » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:30 pm

Thanks Adam.

Any idea if a OG zillion HLC inductor will fit in a 1016?

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:54 am

fishingkat wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:30 pm
Thanks Adam.

Any idea if a OG zillion HLC inductor will fit in a 1016?
I'm not sure, but there are two different HLC spools: one that comes with the HLC reel and another that was released through three I'ze Factory tuning shop. The I'ze spool is ported whereas the stock HLC spool is dimpled.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:45 am

I have OG HLC Zillion and that's 36 mm spool. That's great spool for distance casting but in basic fishing situation it's pretty horrible. Maybe it would get better with thinner mono and not to be spooled full.

I have also I'ZE Factory HLC spool which is for Steez (34 mm) and I us it with sv tw Zillion. That is great spool for seatrout fishing. Inductor spring feels a lot of weaker than in OG HLC Zillion and basic location of inductor seems different between these spools.'

I have also 2 of Steez 103 spools with Type-r+ inductors. One is equipped with HLC spring and another is standard. I haven't done accurate comparison between I'ZE Factory HLC spoold and 103 spools but I consider that there's no big difference in ordinary fishing situation. But 103 Spools are V spools and there's Magforce V, and I think that inductor doesn't fit to other spool types.

But sv tw Zillion standard spool, that I have been thought to swap some stronger spring.
Attachments
Spools.JPG
Spools.JPG (52.86 KiB) Viewed 6514 times
Last edited by jvelth74 on Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

abbor
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by abbor » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:51 am

At Japan Tackle it's stated that Zillion HLC springs are 4x stiffer than stock 08 Zillion springs. How does 08 Zillion springs compare to SV?

I'm looking for a spring 2-3x stiffer than SV.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:59 pm

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=79627&p=637576#p637576

- SV Zillion original spool: Inductor to max: 18 g

- Steez 103 spool: Inductor to max: 30 g

- OG HLC Zillion: Inductor to max: 124 g

Seems that Zillion standard spring is ~2x stronger than spring in sv tw Zillion.

I have't taken apart other spools than one piece of Steez 103 spool. These measurements are done spring and inductor fixed to spool and scale is traditional spring type Pesola, and because of that measurements are not exact.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:26 am

jvelth74 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:45 am
I have OG HLC Zillion and that's 36 mm spool. That's great spool for distance casting but in basic fishing situation it's pretty horrible. Maybe it would get better with thinner mono and not to be spooled full.

I have also I'ZE Factory HLC spool which is for Steez (34 mm) and I us it with sv tw Zillion. That is great spool for seatrout fishing. Inductor spring feels a lot of weaker than in OG HLC Zillion and basic location of inductor seems different between these spools.'

I have also 2 of Steez 103 spools with Type-r+ inductors. One is equipped with HLC spring and another is standard. I haven't done accurate comparison between I'ZE Factory HLC spoold and 103 spools but I consider that there's no big difference in ordinary fishing situation. But 103 Spools are V spools and there's Magforce V, and I think that inductor doesn't fit to other spool types.

But sv tw Zillion standard spool, that I have been thought to swap some stronger spring.
I put the I'ze spring in my Og HLC, Awesome.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:32 am

Nice to hear!

I have done only one swap: HLC Spring to Steez103 spool. That made this spool very good for seatrout fishing and also in distance casting (96% of OG HLC Zillion distance). But in case of jigging perch from shore with relative light heads and headwind and not good casting space, it wasn’t good. 103 Spool with standard spring was better in that situation. In fact I found standard sv spool was best / most trouble free in that situation..

It’s the speed of cast and weight and drag of lure that determines what spool / inductor / spring is best. OG HLC Zillion (relatively heavy 36 mm spool with strong spring and small inductor, which is located deep in spool) is good for distance casting but not for ordinary fishing, in my opinion. If I would have a need to use it in fishing also I would make some spring swap to it.

But currently I think that I have enough reels (and spools) for fishing and It’s not topical to modify my OG HLC Zillion.

But formerly I used Tatula ct type-r for seatrout fishing. I found that this reel has a little too soft spring for this use. Maybe I swap Tatula’s spring to OG HLC Zillion in some day.